• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka .300 Blackout

PreBandit

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
S.CT
I have decided to rebarrel my Tikka .223 T3 Tactical in .300 Blackout.
Initially I had planned on using a 1 in 8 , 16" barrel - after further consideration I started wondering about the following....I will probably not shoot it much past 100 yards, I will only be using subsonic ammo through a suppressor.
So,here's the question(s) #1, how short can I make a non NFA bolt action,
#2 what should be the barrel twist? I will be using a .308 Surefire Can with the large brake. I am having http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog1.htm
make the barrel and having a local Smith who is very familiar with Tikka's install it.
Ideally, I would like the barrel to be as short as possible and still be accurate at 100 yards.

Thanks in advance for help.

Re: Tikka .300 Blackout

16 inches from the face of the bolt is as short as you can go. and I have 1-7 twist so I can stablize the 240smks but I run the 220smks most often. Dont discount running super sonics thru it my R700 whisper is a blast with 110vmaxs and makes for a nice short varmint rifle.

Dustin

Overall barrel length has to be 16" to be non-NFA. Since you are putting the surefire brake on it, you can cut the barrel back the length of the brake and have it pinned to make the overall length 16" with barrel + brake. Or a third option is to have the suppressor pinned to the barrel and then you can cut the length of the barrel back the length of the suppressor and have the overall length of the barrel + suppressor = 16".

Otherwise put your paperwork in and start waiting...

Do you happen to have the Factory Barrel that you'd like to sell? Let me know, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get 1/7 twist. </div></div>

Do you (anyone) know where I can get a 1/7?
McGowen only has 1/8