• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka 7mm PRC

El Dirtbag

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2014
plus.google.com
I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has rebarreled a Tikka action to 7mm PRC. I currently have a Tikka T3 in 300 WM with a Bell and Carlson stock. I plan to self-assemble the components. While I've done this before, Tikka barrels can be tricky. I've included some questions below, but feel free to share your experiences with this caliber on a Tikka action. I found a helpful thread on Rokslide, linked below.

1. For reloaders, have you dealt with COAL limitations due to the factory Tikka magazine? The 7 PRC has a 3.4" COAL, reaching the factory Tikka maximum magazine length. Considering weight, what alternatives have you explored?

2. What kind of performance are you getting from Hornady's boxed ammo? Specifically, I'm interested in external ballistics for hunting Whitetail to Elk.

3. Any recommendations for cost-effective barrel vises and tools to replace my 300 WM barrel with the Proof barrel?

4. Lastly, please share some photos! My intent is to sand the B&C stock’s barrel channel in the short term. Long term, I plan on ordering a Carbon stock, Nightforce or Leupold optic, and keep the rest factory. The design is meant for both midwestern and western hunting, so weight is strongly considered during this build.

Link: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/tikka-t3-7mm-prc.290709/

Hornady 180 eldm has been about 100 fps slower than what on the box in my wife’s 24 inch 8 twist Bart barrel. I haven’t had a box since the first batch that’s been close. Also es in a box of 20 has been around 38-45.

Reactions: El Dirtbag
As far as number 3, Mechforce vise, tightened down tight tight tight on the barrel (leave in the leather pieces). Wheeler #1 wrench snug on the action nothing crazy tight and a smack on the action wrench handle with a dead blow hammer. I'm 5/5 on factory tikka barrels this way and it just works. eBay rear entry action wrench works if you're looking to tighten the new barrel on, I don't run them down that tight as I swap barrels at the range.

As far as number 3, Mechforce vise, tightened down tight tight tight on the barrel (leave in the leather pieces). Wheeler #1 wrench snug on the action nothing crazy tight and a smack on the action wrench handle with a dead blow hammer. I'm 5/5 on factory tikka barrels this way and it just works. eBay rear entry action wrench works if you're looking to tighten the new barrel on, I don't run them down that tight as I swap barrels at the range.
I second your equipment and method. The only difference for me is that I threw away the leather from my mechforce vice. I wrap the barrel with a piece of paper and the slipping went away with even less pressure required.

I found that just snugging the wheeler action wrench bolts hand tight to the action was sufficient and wouldn’t crush the action and barrel threads together causing unwanted friction. Most of the Tikka barrels I removed didn’t even require a rubber mallet to the action wrench handle. The palm of my hand was enough.

Reactions: brazz04
Please expand.
I'm guessing it's because the length of the PRC and the Tikka action at 3.56. Should work, Waters mags work real well, but they aren't cheap. They are smoother than either the factory or AICS for my 7 Saum.

Factory 180’s at 2950 in 24” proof barrel. Popped my barrel off with a 32 or 33mm (I forget) open end wrench buffered with electrical tape. I used a viper vise for both removal and installation.
My XLR Chassis takes the MTD 3.56” AICS mags, coal is ideal.

Attachments

• IMG_4165.jpeg
    IMG_4165.jpeg
    757.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 347
Factory 180’s at 2950 in 24” proof barrel. Popped my barrel off with a 32 or 33mm (I forget) open end wrench buffered with electrical tape. I used a viper vise for both removal and installation.
My XLR Chassis takes the MTD 3.56” AICS mags, coal is ideal.
I'm guessing it's because the length of the PRC and the Tikka action at 3.56. Should work, Waters mags work real well, but they aren't cheap. They are smoother than either the factory or AICS for my 7 Saum.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been considering magazines that fit the same foot print of the Tikka magazine.

I’ve run AICS before and while I like them, I’m hoping to conserve weight and cost — like us all I’m sure.

Reactions: Hondo1
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been considering magazines that fit the same foot print of the Tikka magazine.

I’ve run AICS before and while I like them, I’m hoping to conserve weight and cost — like us all I’m sure.
Waters makes a bottom metal to fit the MDT tikka length mags but his magazines in tikka BM worked better for me, XLR and MDT chassis will take them too.

Waters makes a bottom metal to fit the MDT tikka length mags but his magazines in tikka BM worked better for me, XLR and MDT chassis will take them too
I plan on ordering a Mesa Precision carbon stock. I have not decided whether the inlet will be Tikka magazines or AICS when I cross that road.

For the meantime, I will attempt to sand the channel of my Bell and Carlson stock to accommodate a sendaro profile proof barrel.

I plan on ordering a Mesa Precision carbon stock. I have not decided whether the inlet will be Tikka magazines or AICS when I cross that road.

For the meantime, I will attempt to sand the channel of my Bell and Carlson stock to accommodate a sendaro profile proof barrel.
Barrel profile is easy, just a dowel and sand paper.

I built a 7PRC on a Tikka earlier this year. MDT HNT26 stock and a 22" CarbonSix barrel.

Haven't shot it much but getting 2875 fps from the factory Hornady ELD-X.

I'm using the 300WM MDT AICS metal mags at 3.56".