• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka action in AX chassis

jphargon

How much different is the footprint between the Rem 700 and Tikka action? How much modification would it take to the AX chassis to fit the Tikka action?

Not happening. Way way different

Was afraid of that. I was looking to build a 223 trainer to mimic my 6.5 ax. I liked the idea of the tikka action but may be better off with a custom action with a 700 footprint.

Its possible:

1548036098645.png

Reactions: beenjammin
Is that yours?

I wish! It's John's rifle from Sterk Shooting. I saw it posted on his fb page.

Here is a post he made on it:

"The recoil lug area needed to be worked to suit the Tikka style, a new front action hole (rear action hole worked fine), some material removed for the Tikka trigger, and notches for the Bolt handle and safety. Magazine clipped in and fed without any work."

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
Yes it can be done, and yes that's my rifle.
I wanted a challenge after converting a Sako TRG chassis to suit a Tikka.
The Chassis is an AI AICS AX for REM700 SA. Obviously it's a pre 2014 fixed version.
People have modified the traditional AI AICS to fit Tikka T3's, and they all require the same type of modification.
Use the existing Rear Action screw
Mill front area of trigger cut-out in chassis
Drill new front action screw hole (and counterbore to suit cap screw)
Figure out what you want to do for a recoil lug - I drilled and tapped a 'well' made of 7075 Aluminium into the hollow area for the remington lug.
I then used Titanium Devcon to bed it into place with the 3 screws that hold the 'well' down being covered in epoxy. I then needed to machine the normal Tikka recoil lug to be a bit shorter (used a heat treated surface ground aftermarket lug I made). This was then bedded into the aluminium 'well' and the rear tang was also bedded at the same time.
In my case I wanted to go all out and so I not only got the AI front forend rail, but then machined from a picatinny blank - a matched rail for the top of the Tikka action that even had the correct lug spacing so it blended in seamlessly. I even needed to custom make 4x screws for the rail too, I used some long M3 screws that had some blank shank on them, put them in the lathe and got them to the correct size before running a 6-48 threading die over the shaft and cutting to length.
No i'll never sell it, the chassis are hard to come by in Australia, and expensive. AI is not releasing any chassis for a Tikka anytime soon (they just got a contract to replace rifles in Germany - good on them anyway).
Also the shroud is a 3d printed prototype.
AX mod 1.JPGAX mod 2.JPGAX mod 3.JPGAX mod 4.JPGAX mod 5.JPGAX mod 6.JPGAX mod 7.JPGAX mod 8.JPGAx mod 10.JPG
AX mod 9.JPG

Yes it can be done, and yes that's my rifle.
I wanted a challenge after converting a Sako TRG chassis to suit a Tikka.
The Chassis is an AI AICS AX for REM700 SA. Obviously it's a pre 2014 fixed version.
People have modified the traditional AI AICS to fit Tikka T3's, and they all require the same type of modification.
Use the existing Rear Action screw
Mill front area of trigger cut-out in chassis
Drill new front action screw hole (and counterbore to suit cap screw)
Figure out what you want to do for a recoil lug - I drilled and tapped a 'well' made of 7075 Aluminium into the hollow area for the remington lug.
I then used Titanium Devcon to bed it into place with the 3 screws that hold the 'well' down being covered in epoxy. I then needed to machine the normal Tikka recoil lug to be a bit shorter (used a heat treated surface ground aftermarket lug I made). This was then bedded into the aluminium 'well' and the rear tang was also bedded at the same time.
In my case I wanted to go all out and so I not only got the AI front forend rail, but then machined from a picatinny blank - a matched rail for the top of the Tikka action that even had the correct lug spacing so it blended in seamlessly. I even needed to custom make 4x screws for the rail too, I used some long M3 screws that had some blank shank on them, put them in the lathe and got them to the correct size before running a 6-48 threading die over the shaft and cutting to length.
No i'll never sell it, the chassis are hard to come by in Australia, and expensive. AI is not releasing any chassis for a Tikka anytime soon (they just got a contract to replace rifles in Germany - good on them anyway).
Also the shroud is a 3d printed prototype.
ax-mod-9-jpg.7008618
Wow, That is some awesome work and dedication to detail. If I may ask, If you had to do it over again would you go the same route or build it on a custom 700 style action?

Thanks, it wasn't a quick project, but it's unique. Being a lefty I know I can get left hand Rem style actions but prefer the out of the box quality, value and accuracy of the tikka. I'd love to convert the new AX folder chassis but they're pretty expensive in Aus.
Also you can't change the handle out on a rem for a sweet swept ball handle like an AI has, same for the shroud. The tikka action looks like it belongs too with its flat sides.

Not happening. Way way different

Never tell a machinist /engineer/tinkerer/ inventor/ or handyman something can not be done, the world of full of things made by people who did not know they couldn't.

I once made a AI-ish metal chassis from scratch for a 308 '98 mauser seen here next to the real thing. The ghetto version was surprisingly fun.
1428096945_zpsa9cde177.jpg

@cannoncrossfire , you may have inspired me into a new project as I have a couple of 700 ai clone chassis "center sections" setting on a shelf, waiting for years to be finished into viperskin compatible chassis, one may have to become a tikka T1x chassis...

^of course, anything CAN happen but unless the OP is a machinist, I doubt anyone would take on that job. I've been wrong before.. just once though.

Lol

Wasn't AI going to make a chassis for the Tikka a while back I thought I read that somewhere a while back......
They made a couple but not many, they made savage chassis longer than tikka chassis and you dont see many of those either.

Roedale Preciosion also made a tikka compatible clone chassis if I remember correctly.

Well I guess there is a market for a ACIS or AX stock chasis for the Tikka. Maybe somone at shot show can ask AI if they have a Tikka chasis in the works. I know I would pick one up for sure.

Wasn't AI going to make a chassis for the Tikka a while back I thought I read that somewhere a while back......

AI did have a Tikka AT chassis at SHOT a few years ago. AI had a part number for the Tikka AT chassis out to the vendors not long after that; I put one on backorder as soon as the part number was available to backorder. About 8-9 months later I get an email saying the backorder was cancelled because the item had been discontinued. I wasn't even aware any even made it to market-- I figured they never went into production although a few apparently made it out the door. Ended up using a KRG Whiskey 3 instead, which I really liked, but didn't match my AIAT.

Last edited:
document-namejpgdsc007382-digit-serial-number.jpg
First shown in 2014 and never again.
Accuracy International have enough going on without worrying about an extra chassis inlet. It is a shame because plenty of shooters would be all over it. I think any questions about it at shot show would be quickly deflected. The option left is to modify the rem700 inlet or make a clone or find someone that does make a clone. I have had both the Roedale version and Wombat Ordnance, I preferred the Wombat by a large margin. I no longer own either and am sticking with the AX chassis.

Sort of an old thread (but at least it’s still 2019)...so who has modified the AICS AX for an FN SPR?

Do you think wombat and Roedele make chassis for Tikka in 2020 ?
I'm not sure

I just watched a video from Shot Show 2022 that AI IS making chassis for Tikka T3x and T1x. I cant find the video now. :(
Yeah but they also had a tikka chassis at the 2014 shot show and hows that one coming along? They're just a bit late to the tikka party.
The chassis is gonna cost more than any others on the market without a doubt. Also not sure why they made the bolt handle cut out angle forwards on the new AI tikka chassis... can't say ive seen a single tikka handle angled forward. Seems to be just to match other angles on the chassis visually.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Yeah but they also had a tikka chassis at the 2014 shot show and hows that one coming along? They're just a bit late to the tikka party.
The chassis is gonna cost more than any others on the market without a doubt. Also not sure why they made the bolt handle cut out angle forwards on the new AI tikka chassis... can't say ive seen a single tikka handle angled forward. Seems to be just to match other angles on the chassis visually.
Seems like all the new chassis are in the $1,500 + range BEFORE you add on the "add ons" like weights, etc.....

Can confirm the AICS AT-X chassis will be offered in T3x and T1x inlets, or at least that’s what the guys at the booth said.

Seems the cost of the chassis will be no different from the R700 at $1250 before any other add-ons. Realistically, you’re probably looking at close to $2k all in between NV bridge, weights, folding adapter, etc. Pretty much on par with the rest of the newest chassis offerings anyway.

The new chassis to me looks horrible. It reminds me to much of a RPR. I really like the older ones but just don't like then new one. I am glad they are getting behind the Tikka.
After 2014... Ill believe it when I see it, but I suppose they did finally bring the mlok ARCA forearms after saying they wouldnt so you never know.