• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka action

Willie 6.5

Groundhog whisper
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2020
I would like to build a coyote rifle with a tikkia action. I want to do 22-250 or a 22creed with a carbon barrel im just going to buy a used tikkia than order a barrel. Question is if I buy a LA will I have to have anything done to it for it to work with the 22-250. I belive I need a LA for the 22creed? I'm leaning towards the creed but was also told by someone to just get a LA for the 22-250 for i would have no mag restrictions with bullet seating.

All tikka actions are the same length, the difference is the bolt stop which controls how far back the bolt can move and then the magazines of course. The short mags have a bunch of space at the rear where as the long mags make use of all of it.
If you find a long action you can use the normal 308 mags to feed it, if you don’t change the stop you’ll just have a bit of over travel at the rear, no biggie.

The 22 creed is bad ass and it fits in a normal short action just fine. You’re gonna like it and never have to worry about case taper issues like 22-250 potentially.

Do you have any experience with this any problems with cycling ammo.
Yeah I think I'm going 22 creed I'm already reload my 6.5 and I belive I read you can use the same dies just change bushings and stem

Do you have any experience with this any problems with cycling ammo.
Yeah I think I'm going 22 creed I'm already reload my 6.5 and I belive I read you can use the same dies just change bushings and stem
You will need a new seater, but if running a bushing die, then yes, you can change out the bushings and be good to go.

I recently had a Tikka rebarreled and learned that the barrel shank needs to be max of 1.125". So when you order a barrel be aware of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie 6.5
"Tikkia" < not quite how it's spelled

Why did someone tell you to get a LA for a 22-250? How long them bullets you plan on loading?

Last edited:
Reactions: ShtrRdy
I haven't looked into the numbers myself but currently I'm restricted by my mag length on my 6.5 now you say that I'm guessing a 22-250 or 22 creed can't be that long especially running lighter varmint rounds

I have a tikka t3x varmint 22-250. Its in a KRG bravo currently. I use a MDT AICS style single stack mag for the .224 valkyrie. I had to file the feed lips a little, but it will feed 7 rounds reliably and smoothly. I like the bravo, but not for a tripod. Im going to a xlr element next. I have a post on here describing my mods to fit that 22-250 in the .224 magazine

I did a very similar build but in 6mm creed. I ordered a prefit barrel from Carbon 6 and it screwed right on with no issues what-so-ever. It's a laser too. My action started in the long action config, and I haven't changed it. Honestly I haven't noticed the extra bolt travel so I probably won't change it