• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka action??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
First of all i tried to use the search for this question but i didnt have any luck finding out what i need to know, so I will ask. This question is for any gun smith that has worked on a tikka action. How true are the tolerances and machine work on a tikka T3 action. If you were going to re barrel one, would you have to have the action trued, or are they good to go?? I really like the way the action feels. SMOOTH!! I have a well to do buddy that is having a hard time getting his T3 to shoot and he is just about to give up on it. He has mentioned just giving the gun to me to have. I had the rifle last summer trying to find a good load for it without any luck. I figure it is a bad barrel. Anyway he just bought a sako in 223 to take its place. I would suspect i will own the tikka by the end of the summer, so my wheels are truing. I will re-barrel the action and keep it a 223 or a 222, just not sure. I will probably just put a medium weight barrel on the action and use it for coyotes. I am hoping that i dont have to spend a ton of money on it. A new barrel and stock is what i am hoping to get away with. Whats the scoop?? Thanks Lee

Re: Tikka action??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all i tried to use the search for this question but i didnt have any luck finding out what i need to know, so I will ask. This question is for any gun smith that has worked on a tikka action. How true are the tolerances and machine work on a tikka T3 action. If you were going to re barrel one, would you have to have the action trued, or are they good to go?? I really like the way the action feels. SMOOTH!! I have a well to do buddy that is having a hard time getting his T3 to shoot and he is just about to give up on it. He has mentioned just giving the gun to me to have. I had the rifle last summer trying to find a good load for it without any luck. I figure it is a bad barrel. Anyway he just bought a sako in 223 to take its place. I would suspect i will own the tikka by the end of the summer, so my wheels are truing. I will re-barrel the action and keep it a 223 or a 222, just not sure. I will probably just put a medium weight barrel on the action and use it for coyotes. I am hoping that i dont have to spend a ton of money on it. A new barrel and stock is what i am hoping to get away with. Whats the scoop?? Thanks Lee </div></div>

They are just bad actions. <span style="font-weight: bold">Have your buddy just give it to me instead</span>. Will save you alot of $$ and trouble. LOL just kidding.

They are very similar to Sako. Most shoot good right out of the box. No lawyers there so tend to have good triggers from the get-go.

Start from tbe beginning screws, scope, bedding, crown, etc. It could be a bad barrel but that's uncommon. Certainly v-good actions IMO, as good as Sako.

Only disadvantage is a limit in aftermarket stocks, aftermarket acc. vrs Rem, Win.,etc.

i have put a few muzzle breaks on tikka's and everyone so far has a scary bend in the barrel..you can watch it as it spins between centers on a lathe.. but all of the one i have experience with still shot decent for a factory rifle

my tikka is the only bolt action rifle i have ever owned that the back of both locking lugs wore off the finish evenly showing that they were getting full contact i dont think you would need to have the action blueprinted to get good results with a new barrel