• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka Barrel threads-metric?

hill billy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Trying to set up to get one re barreled and I don't know if these are metric or not. I would assume so being from Finland. Any ideas?

Re: Tikka Barrel threads-metric?

The threads for the brakes are so I would assume it is metric on the other end too.

Re: Tikka Barrel threads-metric?

we just pulled a barrel on a Tikka 595 to build a switch barrel and it had 1" X 16 threads on the chamber end.

The 18x1 mm is the brake threads. Skeetlee, i have had two done by Brian Wick in Albion,il. One was a tac with the metric brake threads but the action/barrel threads are 1" 16 tpi. That was his first tikka build and he assumed, like me, that it would be metric since the brake was. The second one was also 1" 16tpi. Either way he wasn't too worried about threading metric, he turned a 1/2x28 ops inc brake to 18x1 mm so it would screw on the factory metric brake threads.

I should clarify, he did the brake rethread 1 yr before the rebarrel. He also trued the receiver face back to the flats, that way i could run a 1.2" lv contour. If that taper is left on there the biggest u can run is 1.10. The first action was dead nuts on with minimal lug lapping needed to get full contact. The second one had a little more contact on one lug than the other

And to add (yet another) wrinkle to the topic, the CTR's are stated to be shipping with a 5/8-24 muzzle thread...