• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka, Bergara or Howa..

Which rifle

• Total voters

Craigmcwill

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
hi guys đź‘‹,

In the process of looking for my first rifle, this will be a 243. Used mainly for deer stalking and varmints just now. Looking to eventually get into some target shooting. I have narrowed it down to the tikka, the bergara and the howa. Other rifle suggestions are more than welcome. I would just like some advice if possible from more experienced people on what would be the best rifle for me to get and to build on to make my own. If you could also explain the reasons for your choice it would be extremely helpful.

Much appreciated

I'll go with Tikka. Granted, I just ordered my first (6.5 Creed), but here are my reasons:

Inexpensive. Accurate and reliable out of the box. 70 Degree Bolt Throw. Good aftermarket support: Barrels, Stocks / Chassis. Ability to use a prefit / shouldered barrel. Available in stainless.

With that said, I don't think they're the best choice for long action calibers, and some of their long actions used to have a crappy barrel twist.

The Tikka actions are amongst the smoothest factory actions out there.

The triggers are very nice and crisp, and also adjustable.

The aftermarket accessories available increase damn near daily, from chassis, to bolt shrouds and everything in between.

And now, LRI will be making bolts for them, so you could switch easily from 223 to 6 Creed or 224 Val with a bolt and barrel swap.

My vote is for Howa.
When getting back into shooting after a long break, I looked around for something suitable that would be a good to get back into shooting.
Ended up with a Howa stainless sporter .223 that is very accurate for the money & still my go to hunting rifle 5+ years later.

Factory 2 stage trigger
Plenty of stock or chassis options .

Now have another 2 Howa rifles here so far & will probably get more.
Also a lot of Howa's in my shooting group .

Tikka make good rifles.(have family & friends that use them & are happy their Tikka's)

Sorry I don't have any personal experience with the Bergara.

Go have a look & feel in person of the rifles on your shortlist to see what you like.

I've got a bergara and love it. Quality wise I'd say they are neck and neck with tikka. What it would come down to for me is either the 700 foot print of the bergara (after market is huge) or the ability to take shouldered prefits with the tikka.

Just try to think of what your plans are with this thing.

Reactions: Craigmcwill
I only have experience with Tikka and Howa, and between the two, for your purposes, I would pick the Tikka. Between the two (Tikka and Howa), each has their advantages (the Tikka with the easily replaceable bolt handle, the Howa with the flat bottom action and built-in recoil lug) and disadvantages (the Tikka's recoil lug arrangement isn't the best, the Howa is a considerably heavier action). IMO, the action smoothness advantage goes to the Tikka, and the trigger advantage goes to the Howa (for availability of aftermarket triggers AND the degree to which the factory trigger can be lightened).

Because you specifically mentioned stalking, the noticeably lighter weight (assuming similar barrel lengths/contours) of the Tikka would tilt things in that direction if it were my choice to make. Unfortunately, I have only handled Bergaras while at Cabela's, so I really have no input to offer there.

Get you a howa 6mm creedmoor 26inch barreled action from Brownells for $440. Drop it in a stock like the $350 krg bravo. For less than $800 you’re in business.

I'm from the UK so believe it or not, looking around all these rifles will come in nearly the same price point so price isn't a factor with these 3.

Don’t have experience with the Bergara, but the Tikka abd Howa feel quite different so I’d try them out first if you can. Howa to me feels like a well made Rem 700. Tikka feels entirely different; not my cup of tea personally, but it’s good. If weight is a consideration Tikka wins out. If you want traditional feel I’d go Howa.

One of the big things concerning me about the tikka is the recoil lug design. Can anyone give their 2 cents about this whether its a big no no or if im just being paranoid. Thanks

One of the big things concerning me about the tikka is the recoil lug design. Can anyone give their 2 cents about this whether its a big no no or if im just being paranoid. Thanks
Obviously the recoil lug design works, or Tikka rifles wouldn't have the reputation for accuracy that they do. For me, it's one of those things to where I can't argue with the results, but I'm not as comfortable with it as I would be a traditional "tombstone" style recoil lug, especially for heavy-recoiling cartridges.

In something like .243Win, I'd have no hesitation at all.

Voted Tikka, but if prefits were available for Bergara I would've voted for a Premier, mainly for the stock and trigger.

I'm from the UK so believe it or not, looking around all these rifles will come in nearly the same price point so price isn't a factor with these 3.
Just out of curiosity, which models are you comparing and what are the prices of each? Each manufacturer has different models to fit every budget. You wanna make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.

Just out of curiosity, which models are you comparing and what are the prices of each? Each manufacturer has different models to fit every budget. You wanna make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.
The average price of the tikka t3x whether thats ctr, lite etc. You can get for around 1000-1200. Bergara hmr is around 1000. The howa barrelled action is around 800.

Somebody suggested you get a 6CM howa barreled action. This was a very very good recommendation. I have a Howa and it is an exceptionally accurate rifle. The trigger is amazing. It is a flat bottom action with an integrated recoil lug, those are some very nice features to have in an action.

I do not think any of those 3 will let you down, but I'm suggesting Howa.

If you can get a Tikka Tac A1 around the same price get it. Otherwise get the howa barreled action and a krg bravo chassis. It’ll be better than any of the others and you can put the money saved towards a quality scope.

Somebody suggested you get a 6CM howa barreled action. This was a very very good recommendation. I have a Howa and it is an exceptionally accurate rifle. The trigger is amazing...I do not think any of those 3 will let you down, but I'm suggesting Howa.

Agreed — I have three Howas and one is very accurate, one is exceptionally accurate, and the other is the barreled action part of a build I haven’t finished and shot yet ha.

The HACT triggers are superior to the Tikka factory triggers AND easily tuned by an amateur like myself. Search my name and “howa” or “trigger” and you’ll see a full write up of how easily I tuned my triggers for a mountain hunting rifle, a plains hunting rifle, and a bench rest target gun. Each of the 2 stages is easily adjusted via spring swaps.

All that said I’ll buy a Tikka one of these days. Probably in a caliber I’ve always liked but don’t currently own like 7mm-08 or .270

Does the barrel profile make much of a difference for accuracy? Or is it more for follow up shots? Will the sporter or lite versions shoot as well as a varmint style? Thanks

More weight will help settle the rifle and the shooter, and larger diameter barrels are inherently stiffer which matters if you believe in barrel harmonics and whip (I generally do given some experience with Faxon ultralights in ARs). Otherwise, for the first shot out a cold bore they’re the basically the same whether thick or thin.

All my hunting rifles have skinny barrels and most of my target rifles have thick ones and both seem to work best that way.

Does the barrel profile make much of a difference for accuracy? Or is it more for follow up shots? Will the sporter or lite versions shoot as well as a varmint style? Thanks

Not sure if Tikka makes anything other than a pencil barrel for 243. They are super accurate, but do open up when hot. Both Bergara and Howa make 6mm Creedmoors in heavier barrel profiles, which will perform very similarly to the 243. Howa also makes one in a KRG Bravo chassis. If you're open to the 6 creed and are looking at the Premier Bergara's, might as well check out the Seekins PH2 as well.

The HACT triggers are superior to the Tikka factory triggers.
I'm a Tikka guy and I've played with the other two guns and my money goes to Tikkas for a reason, but I'm not here to defend Tikkas. I've been researching Howas for a buddy as he's price conscience and I think the build will end up being cheaper for him... and this is the first I've read the Howa hact is better than the stock Tikka. Care to expound?

To throw in an European comment, which might be a bit more familiar with Bergara.

Well, I´m a Tikka guy but I have some buddies with Bergaras around, and I have no experience with Howa.
But Bergara, those things are accuracywise on the same level as Tikka in my opinion.

Do you guys know, that Ed Shilen himself helped Bergara building up their barrels?
They are gtg, hands down, and you get a whole package with the adjustable stocks as well.

To throw in an European comment, which might be a bit more familiar with Bergara.

Well, I´m a Tikka guy but I have some buddies with Bergaras around, and I have no experience with Howa.
But Bergara, those things are accuracywise on the same level as Tikka in my opinion.

Do you guys know, that Ed Shilen himself helped Bergara building up their barrels?
They are gtg, hands down, and you get a whole package with the adjustable stocks as well.
Perhaps it was only in the US, but when Bergaras were first sold here, there were quite a few with shoddy barrels/crowns. Bergara replaced them, but to say they didn't cover themselves in glory on their opening into the US market, is a fairly accurate statement. They have, by all reports corrected this issue, and produce fairly high quality rifles for the price. That being said, after seeing three returned from that initial batch, I just haven't felt the urge to try my luck. It's probably an irrational feeling on my part, but there you have it...

For the record, of the three options, Tikka gets my vote.

Had a funny moment yesterday. I just spent more on dies, powder, bullets, brass, and primers than I did on my Tikka. Should be good for a while, but still.

I'm a Tikka guy and I've played with the other two guns and my money goes to Tikkas for a reason, but I'm not here to defend Tikkas. I've been researching Howas for a buddy as he's price conscience and I think the build will end up being cheaper for him... and this is the first I've read the Howa hact is better than the stock Tikka. Care to expound?
While I can't speak for @stilesg57, my experience is that the Howa HACT trigger with the OEM spring cut back ~1.25 coils and adjusted for minimal pull weight is lighter and easily as clean as the Tikka trigger with an aftermarket (yodave or similar) spring installed. Even though I tend to prefer a single stage trigger, the Howa gets the nod from me in this regard... and the Tikka was far and away my favorite factory trigger prior to playing with the HACT.

While I can't speak for @stilesg57, my experience is that the Howa HACT trigger with the OEM spring cut back ~1.25 coils and adjusted for minimal pull weight is lighter and easily as clean as the Tikka trigger with an aftermarket (yodave or similar) spring installed. Even though I tend to prefer a single stage trigger, the Howa gets the nod from me in this regard... and the Tikka was far and away my favorite factory trigger prior to playing with the HACT.

Beat me to it, I’d just change that I prefer 2 stagers over singles (but I recognize that’s a personal preference) and that my fave factory single stage trigger is actually the Winchester MOA and the Tikka second. That trigger never gets mentioned because nobody seems to like the XPRs or the newer Model 70s for some reason, but the factory trigger in them is easily adjusted to excellence via a simple nut and screw.

The HACT is good to go as-is, and easier to adjust to phenomenal than the Tikka, which is why I put it ahead. I’ll still buy a Tikka someday.

I voted Tikka, I was expecting it to be a winner, but damn not by that much. I love mine, can't go wrong!

Al
If you can get a Tikka Tac A1 around the same price get it. Otherwise get the howa barreled action and a krg bravo chassis. It’ll be better than any of the others and you can put the money saved towards a quality scope.
Alternatively, you could drop a T3x varmint into a KRG Bravo for just over $1000. Not to mention selling the factory mag and stock to recover a little cost. If you're feeling crazy, you can buy the cheapest T3x, swap a prefit barrel, drop into a Bravo for just over $1000

Tikka hands down. Sako quality with almost Remington 700 parts availability. I had a lower end Sako A7, great rifle and accurate as hell. Only issue was parts availability. The Tikka with its following is excellent. Aftermarket upgrades/factory replacement parts are easy to find for them. Plus they are Finns, and I don't mind sending my money to the Finns lol
I don't know much about the Howa's first hand but they seem like they have a great following as well. But at the end of the day if you want out of the "700" clone and want something upgradeable the Tikka is the way to go.

for stalk hunting, for the money, it would be hard to beat a tikka t3 lite imo

after having owned all three, tikka is by far my favorite of the three

can't imagine that you'd ever need more accuracy than any of the three above listed choices so I think it would come down to the features you want

for a lightweight hunter, i'd go t3x lite with a lightweight scope and call it good

I've given my thoughts on the Bergara. The HMR Pro was my choice because of the fantastic stock with integral mini chassis, American built action, Triggertech Primary trigger, and a ceracoat job to boot. The 1/4moa accuracy was a bonus but 1/2 moa seems to be the norm for the current production of these guns.
The B14 HMR uses the same barrel and the stock trigger is nice. I'll pick one of these up for my son later this year.
I've shot and looked at Tikkas for years. One of these days ill pick one up and drop it in a Bravo stock for a hunting rig. The actions are slick.
I did a lot of research on Howe barreled actions thinking I would put one in a Bravo stock And save some money. What I came to find is that unlike Tikka and Bergara, accuracy was hit or miss. I noticed that I saw more reviews about guns that simply did not pan out on Howa than on other options. I could only find a couple comments about a modern Bergara that wouldn't shoot. Tikka I found a few more. But with Howa there was plenty of evidence that they are hit or miss. Mostly hit. But enough miss that I couldn't take a chance. At least not for my current gun which I set up for competition. In addition after much handling, there is simply no comparison of the fit and finish between the Tikka and Bergara vs Howa. I may build up a Howa later for fun if the right barreled action comes along at the right price. Glad to see the guys here ended up with good ones. They are definitely a good entry level rig. But when I can buy a B14 HMR for around $850 it’s a no brainer.