• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Build

Cmh259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2020
Thinking about re-barreling my CTR 6.5 Creed to a 6 Dasher. I want to do a 1.250”!straight taper in my Envy chassis. I have read that Tikka actions may not be strong enough to support such a heavy barrel. Was curious if anyone had any insight on this? Thanks in advance!

Strength is not the issue… Straight 1.250” is just physically larger than the action. There would be a large “lip” between the face and shoulder, which is not so much an issue in an of itself, but it will look goofy and likely cause fitment issues with a chassis or stock.

Further, Tikka action faces are kinda rounded off as it is, so without turning a barrel down to match it, you’ll have a lip/unmatched diameter. This is a 1.200” shank barrel on a Tikka action that hasn’t been turned down for reference:

IMG_9462.jpeg

Even 1.200” shank size can have clearance issues depending on stock or chassis selection, but generally speaking will be much easier to fit than a 1.250.

Bottom line, you’ll want a barrel with a 1.200” shank or smaller… whether you turn down a 1.250 blank or just buy a 1.200 blank doesn’t really matter. From there, you can leave it at 1.200 for the length of the barrel or whatever your preference is.

Reactions: Cmh259
You could also dress the barrel down a smidge if you really must have a fatty but don’t want a square lip
IMG_1590.jpeg

Reactions: Cmh259
Bringing this back as I just dropped my Tikka off for a straight taper face lift. The gunsmith said he's been truing up the face of Tikka actions for straight tapers to remove the rounded off portion of the face, which makes it look much better. However, doing so will take you out of the pre-fit realm as the headspace will not be the same as factory.

Not that I'm a big pre-fit kinda guy, but it makes me second guess if I should give him the green light to square the face.

I'll post a separate thread as well, just wanted to get opinions here too.

I mean it pretty much wrecks any resale that the action would ever have because of the reason you stated. But if you never plan to sell it then it doesn’t so much matter… do whatever you feel like.

The bottom line is Tikkas really don’t need to be trued other than for aesthetic purposes, and even if you’re not a big prefit guy, having the ability to run one is always a benefit.

Personally I’d never notice the difference between having a 1.200 straight taper and a 1.250 straight taper, so squaring the face has always been a non-starter for me.

I mean it pretty much wrecks any resale that the action would ever have because of the reason you stated. But if you never plan to sell it then it doesn’t so much matter… do whatever you feel like.

The bottom line is Tikkas really don’t need to be trued other than for aesthetic purposes, and even if you’re not a big prefit guy, having the ability to run one is always a benefit.

Personally I’d never notice the difference between having a 1.200 straight taper and a 1.250 straight taper, so squaring the face has always been a non-starter for me.
This is just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Just called my gunsmith and told him to leave the action as is 👍

Reactions: LeftyJason