• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka Criterion Pre-fits

bab029

Hammer Mechanic
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Louisiana
Anyone got first or second hand experience with the tikka criterion prefits available these days? I asked up in the Tikka thread, but thought I'd leave a note here. I want to do a 6mm (dasher all the way?) project over the winter and this really cuts the cost provided the accuracy is there. I've seen criterion barrels shoot, so I know the potential is there, but I don't know this shop that is distributing them.

Under 500 for a barrel threaded on both ends sounds like a steal if it shoots....

http://criterionbarrels.com/prefits/tikka

https://www.solidaccuracy.com/produc...ent-inventory/

I found PVA's wrench, and am pretty confident that with a little heat and love I can get the factory tube off (probably buy a donor just in case...)

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/mausingfield-tikka-wrench/

As soon as I can unload a few things, I'm going to give it a go unless everyone screams not to...

Edit to add a Q:

Is it necessary to have a firing pin bushing installed on the t3 bolt?

Last edited:
I was thinking about a 26 in the same profile. I'm going to stay with a 260 though. I love the idea of a flat shooting 6 but I like the extra bullet weight of the 6.5s for hunting.

Yeah, I like my 260 also. This factory CTR is such a hammer I can't stand to tear it down, and will probably buy a used donor off the gunbroker for this project.

Having had the pleasure of removing a couple of T3 barrels, I would strongly recommend against using a rear-entry action wrench- good chance you're going to twist and destroy one or the other.
Their factory barrels are every bit as tough to remove as any military barrel I've pulled, needed to turn a custom countour bushing to grip that sucker tightly enough to keep it from spinning.
If you're going down this road, you need a HEAVY DUTY barrel vise (not one of the lightweight ones) and "external" action wrench.

JMO,YMMV

Having had the pleasure of removing a couple of T3 barrels, I would strongly recommend against using a rear-entry action wrench- good chance you're going to twist and destroy one or the other.
Their factory barrels are every bit as tough to remove as any military barrel I've pulled, needed to turn a custom countour bushing to grip that sucker tightly enough to keep it from spinning.
If you're going down this road, you need a HEAVY DUTY barrel vise (not one of the lightweight ones) and "external" action wrench.

JMO,YMMV

What wrench did you use? Did you use any heat for this?

I use the Brownell's action wrench, the "universal" head with the V-notch will fit the receiver "OK" when oriented correctly. If I did more, I'd make a different head that would fit better.
No heat needed with the bushing bored to the taper of the barrel. It's a matter of having adequate surface contact of the bushing to the barrel.
I'm sure others have different methods...

JMO,YMMV

I tweaked my PVA inside wrench trying to get my CTR barrel off. A friend made a relief cut in the barrel and it came right off.

Anyone got first or second hand experience with the tikka criterion prefits available these days? I asked up in the Tikka thread, but thought I'd leave a note here. I want to do a 6mm (dasher all the way?) project over the winter and this really cuts the cost provided the accuracy is there. I've seen criterion barrels shoot, so I know the potential is there, but I don't know this shop that is distributing them.

Under 500 for a barrel threaded on both ends sounds like a steal if it shoots....

http://criterionbarrels.com/prefits/tikka

https://www.solidaccuracy.com/produc...ent-inventory/

I found PVA's wrench, and am pretty confident that with a little heat and love I can get the factory tube off (probably buy a donor just in case...)

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/mausingfield-tikka-wrench/

As soon as I can unload a few things, I'm going to give it a go unless everyone screams not to...

Edit to add a Q:

Is it necessary to have a firing pin bushing installed on the t3 bolt?

My new barrel on my CTR is a 6.5 Creedmoor and I am using the srp Peterson brass. No need to bush the firing pin.

Wondering if anyone following this thread wound up purchasing a Criterion barrel for their Tikka and, if so, how it's shooting. I've had no luck finding much info about actual shooter experience from a consumer.

What wrench did you use? Did you use any heat for this?

The only way I've seen factory barrels taken off was by clamping a KURT machinist vise on the action with a cheater bar on it. Chucking it in a lathe and making a relief cut is probably a solid plan.

Wondering if anyone following this thread wound up purchasing a Criterion barrel for their Tikka and, if so, how it's shooting. I've had no luck finding much info about actual shooter experience from a consumer.
Call Tim at Solid Accuracy, he is the distributor of Criterion barrels for Tikka. He is very knowledgeable and a very nice person. I have a PVA barrel nut but I'm using the nut from Solid Accuracy because I think his wrench and nut are better design. For the next barrel I wouldn't hesitate to buy it from him.

Danny, I appreciate the reply. I've spoken with Tim on numerous occasions; always a pleasant conversation. I'm wanting to get some unbiased feedback on these, though, as opposed to speaking with the dealer. I don't doubt for one moment that Tim would only represent his actual experiences with the barrels, and I have used CBI barrels on Savage actions with great results, but a Savage is not a Tikka.

Reactions: dannySH
I spoke to Tim over the weekend and ordered a 26 inch 260 in the heavy varmint. Cant wait to see how this baby shoots.