• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka CTR -- anyone keep the original stock?

Bungi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2012
I just ordered a Tikka CTR in 308

I have noticed that many people replace the stock on these rifles.

For those who have replaced it, do you think it improved the accuracy of the rifle?

For those who kept the original stock, are you getting good groups with it?

I will just be shooting from a bench at the range for the most part. No competitions for me ... Yet.

Thanks

The tikka ctr will shoot great with the factory stock. Don’t replace the stock unless YOU decide that you would like to have something else. To let someone else spend your money is silly. I doubt that changing the stock will make the rifle shoot better. It could make shooting the rifle easier for you. Shoot it and make your mind up. I kept the stock. I have replaced stocks on other rifles.

Thanks for the replies -- I will definitely shoot it for a while before making any decisions.

I would much prefer to keep the original stock (and some money).

Just wondering about it, since it appears so many people change them. I have even read a few instances where people change them without even shooting them in the original stock.

The only thing I did to mine was open up the stock where it contacts the barrel the first three inches or so. Took about five minutes and you can’t screw it up.

When you say you opened it up, did you just use sandpaper until the barrel was free-floated?

Thanks

I used a dreamel with a small sanding wheel. You could use sandpaper. When you get the rifle you will see what I am talking about. I don’t really know if it helped but it dang sure didn’t me hurt. You will pull the stock off anyhow to lighten the trigger all the way anyhow. Take a few extra minutes and sand it down a bit then torque it up and go shoot.

The barrel is freefloated except the first few inches from the chamber forward.

Thanks for the info -- I will check it out once it arrives.

Perfect to use. All I did is add a limbsaver which is more comfortable and adds some LOP.

A change is only for other stock features.

Mine is in a factory stock but I wouldn’t mind a t6a with factory dbm and a nice fat 6.5 barrel (currently oem 20in 308)

In no way is a change necessary.

Nothing wrong with the stock stock, although I did upgrade to an XLR stock since this will be used primarily as a bench rest/possible PRS rifle. I will say that my groups did seem to improve slightly after I changed the stock, but that may just be because I was more comfortable behind the rifle. However, even with the original stock I was getting 1 MOA or better 5 shot groups with factory ammo.

Last edited:
I have a .223 Varmint and the stock fits my dimensions perfect ergonomically. The gun shoots well so I haven't messed with it.

If it doesn't fit you well then definitely get an adjustable chassis or a quality stock that does. Rifle fit is like road bike fit IMO. if it fits you well ergonomically, you're not fighting your own body all the time to get the job done.

No reason why you couldn't compete with it either. You'll just be shooting without pushing the rifle into the barricade.

I had a 1" round knurled knob installed just forward of the mag well. I works as a barricade stop while keeping the factory stock

I have 5 Tikkas, none of them are in the factory stock. One sits over a McM 3-5 Adjustable, the second on a McM Adjustable Game Scout, the third one in a Manners T6, the fourth in a KRG X-Ray chassis and the last one in a KRG Bravo.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
One of the main reason I bought a CTR was because of the stock. It fits well enough, light weight and handles like a rifle should.

Reactions: callen3615
I put my 6.5 CM CTR in a bravo chassis, only reason I did so is for magazine commonality and ease of adjustment. I'm 6ft 4 and the factory stock was not comfortable to me. Doesn't hurt that it also improved my groups by about a quarter inch.

I switched from the base model CTR stock to the Mcrees G10 chassis. I found that I had better consistency in a 5 shot group. That however might be more due to me and I like a more vertical grip than the original hunting style grip that comes with the factory stock. I did have plenty of good groups with the original, however, but I think the added rigidity if the chassis is helpful. Also, I felt the chassis was better suited for positional shooting in precision rifle matches, and gave better adjustability.

Mine will almost entirely be at the bench -- I have a T3 "lite" for field/hunting use.

I put the CTR in a KRG X-Ray for one range outing and then back in to factory stock. I'm sure it was my shortcoming but I just could not get comfortable using the X-Ray. So I went back to factory stock and sold the X-Ray.

Interesting --- j741, I believe you are the first person I have heard of that switched back to the original CTR stock.

I shot my CTR with the factory stock for 2 years. I did some research and ordered a GGS Predator so I could use the 3 factory magazines that I have. It is a great stock for the $$ as it has an aluminum mini-chassis and needed no bedding. I re-barreled to a medium palma contour and it is a good fit with the GGS.

If I decide to put my Varmint in another stock, it will either be the Bravo or the new GGS Ranger.

Reactions: smithjd
GGS Ranger... ach du liebe! I love my Predator, but I bought it about a year ago when the exchange rate was much more favorable. These guys do good work. Like said above, mini-chassis and CTR bottom metal / mags with little or no weight penalty and adjustable cheek rest. Also, as I’m in a colder climate, I didn’t want to be holding on to a bar of aluminum.

Reactions: 260284
I too like the factory T3X stock enough not to replace it, plus the magazines are one of the best selling points for the CTR. I did relieve the barrel channel as it was touching but I also bought a varmint/beaver forend for it also. It did stiffen up the forend and it feels better in hand.

@ dannySH would you mind telling us what your favorite stock is out of the bunch? Thanks
The McM A3-5 fully Adjustable for shooting at the range, not far behind the Manners T6A, IMHO the MCM has better finish. For hunting the McM Game Scout is awesome.

Interesting point regarding the varmint forend --- never thought about it before, but that would seem to provide more strength and support to the factory stock.

Thanks

The factory stock has plenty of stength and support. The reason to change to the varmint forend ( which I didnt even know could be done) is if you prefer the forend to be wider.

I definitely want to get the forend -- The wider forend will be better at the bench.

They are not expensive either -- Just over $20 on the Beretta site.

I can't find a single place in Canada to get them. Stoeger is the one who deals tikka Sako and Beretta for us, and they don't show it. Will have to make phone calls, because I think that is absolutely ridiculous.

I bought one today off the Beretta web-site.

Just over $20, with free delivery.

I sold mine here. It felt like a CTR, Compact tactical rifle. Or in other words small, like a kids rifle stock. I don't have monster long arms, I'm 5'9". I also didn't love the mags. Maybe I'm the only one here in that regard. I'm looking forward to my Bravo stock!

I sold mine here. It felt like a CTR, Compact tactical rifle. Or in other words small, like a kids rifle stock. I don't have monster long arms, I'm 5'9". I also didn't love the mags. Maybe I'm the only one here in that regard. I'm looking forward to my Bravo stock!
You are not the only one. I think the weakest point in Tikkas are their stocks. Plastic, cheap feeling. Upgrade the stock and you will have one of the best factory rifles in the market today.

What is the weight of the ctr stock?
Something to the tune of 30oz, pretty light. I'd have to weigh mine again to be certain. But that weight changes with cheek risers, plates on the butt to increase LOP, adding rails, or if you try to stiffen up the forend more

Reactions: Hegre