• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka CTR idea

MachoKing

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
I had an idea, not something I'm planning on but it seems like an easy way into a 6.5 PRC Tikka. Could I take the bolt from a magnum Tikka, have the chamber from a 24" Creed cleaned up into a 6.5 PRC?

you could also buy a cheap donor action with a mag bolt face and get a pre-fit from anyone who does them, which is now quite a few reputable sources. Would probably be about the same cost but you'd have a better barrel. also assuming you're going to replace the stock on both the CTR and a lite. a 300WM can be had for $550 +$450 barrel plus $400 KRG Bravo $1400

versus $900+ for CTR, +200 gunsmithing, $200 bolt??, plus bravo on top with new AI mags anyways $1700 give or take

Reactions: Estes640
you could also buy a cheap donor action with a mag bolt face and get a pre-fit from anyone who does them, which is now quite a few reputable sources. Would probably be about the same cost but you'd have a better barrel. also assuming you're going to replace the stock on both the CTR and a lite. a 300WM can be had for $550 +$450 barrel plus $400 KRG Bravo $1400

versus $900+ for CTR, +200 gunsmithing, $200 $450 bolt??, plus bravo on top with new AI mags anyways $1700 give or take

I 100% recommend option 1. Many gunsmiths will still charge you the same to re-chamber a barrel as they will to fit a blank. It's actually more work to re-chamber, and less likely to turn out right. Pick up a used magnum donor rifle on Gunbroker for ~$500 and get a new barrel. Saves you money and headache.

Has anyone had a smith open up the bolt face on a Tikka? I've seen some do it on 700 bolts...I happen to have an extra 308bf action in the safe and would like to turn it into a shorty PRC for hunting...done some looking around but haven't found solid answers and figured I'd toss it out here since it goes into OP's question if he's got a 208bf or can get one cheaper than a mag.

Has anyone had a smith open up the bolt face on a Tikka? I've seen some do it on 700 bolts...I happen to have an extra 308bf action in the safe and would like to turn it into a shorty PRC for hunting...done some looking around but haven't found solid answers and figured I'd toss it out here since it goes into OP's question if he's got a 208bf or can get one cheaper than a mag.

I looked into this as an option to rebarrel my CTR to a 7SAUM. The smith I spoke to said it was feasible, would just require a new extractor spring. I never ended up going down that path so this is just one bloke’s opinion and it may not actually be feasible or safe