• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka CTR in .260 or .308?

Cornholeo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
Oklahoma city
I have been digging around the forums and then the internet on the two calibers and the .260 is impressive as hell. It seems to be a great medium size game round as well as one for long range, something I want to get more into. I need some input though on my choice in the new Tikka CTR that is do out soon though. My question is will the pros of the .260 over the .308 be there in the 20" barrel on the CTR? Almost all threads and discussions that I have been through shooters are shooting the .260 in longer barrels to get the most out of the round.
The reason I have chosen the CTR is the positive comments I have read on its action and what people have to say about Tikka accuracy and quality in general, and it fits my budget.

As always thanks for any input and advice!:cool:

People are claiming 2700fps with the 140gr with 20in barrel fairly regularly around here so wouldn't be bad id say.

Great choice on rifle.

What is the intended purpose of the rifle? Do you currently own a 308? Do you reload? The 260 will shoot flatter and buck the wind better. But you can get 308 at every mom and pop store, where as 260 ammo is harder to come by.

Intended purpose is some deer, hog, and coyote hunting eventually. I do own a .308 and reload as well. That is one reason I was leaning towards the .260 for another caliber with different capabilities/strengths. On the down side it is new powder to possibly hunt for as I have 4064 and Varget for the .308 and .223.

Varget will work fine in the 260, you'll just give up 100fps or so with the 140's. 2700fps is easy to reach with 140's and R17 or H4350 either one. I got well above 2750 in mine before I saw any pressure using H4350 in RP brass, but accuracy was better down at 2720.

Good info, thanks. I'm trying to get the .223 working with IMR 8208XBR to free up the Varget. Now I will have something ready for the CTR until I can stumble on some H4350. What seems to be the most liked in 140s, AMAXs, SSTs? I remember seeing the VLDs mentioned quite alot.

I vote for the 260! Different caliber and different ballistics to give you options. I bought the Tikka in March and it's a good shooting rifle for the money.

I'd opt for the 260 if you're reloading. Great range of projectiles and should be sweet for all the game you're intending on knocking over.