• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka CTR mags to AICS mags

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    For those who went from a CTR or other stock using CTR mags to AICS mags, how did the feeding compare or change? Also did you have to do any modification to the action when using Accurate or AI SA AICS mags? Please specify caliber, type of mags, and stock/chassis used as well.

I've read mixed reviews of Tikkas feeding with AICS mags, also mixed feedback of whether you have to return the action. My experience is limited to Tikka standard and CTR mags which I find feed very nicely. I have a pile of AICS mags but I don't care if I have to buy a few CTR mags if it results in better feeding.

My Tikka's in a chassis have fed great with AICS mags. Waters bottom metal MDT 3.56 mags fed fine, waters magazines fed better so I stayed with them on the long action. Didn't play with a SA enough in a stock with BM to get a good opinion of it. XLR Chassis always fed great with 6.5 CM, and I used it for matches for about a year.

I went from the CTR mags to AICS mags then back to CTR. The CTR mags fed much smoother without any sort of tweaking compared to the AICS. Couple that with the smaller footprint of the CTR mags and it's a no brainer.

Reactions: Apotropaios
    Tikka CTR in a bravo using MDT plastic AICS mags here. No issues with feeding and no discernible difference in the feel of the bolt between the two for me. I have run the MDT 223 mags as well as the 308 mags without issue. I will get around soon to testing their 300wsm mags as well with this same CTR.

Does anyone know the correct feed lip dimensions for the factory CTR mags?
    ^^^ Repeat this question ^^^

I have two CTR mags I used for comps and found out that the feed lips smash more closed if used in a manner other than gently caressing them. The stamped steel used to make them is a much thinner gauge than that used in AW (similar style) or AICS mags. Largely why my Tikka gets mostly ignored.

Imo the CTR mags should be bumped up at least one gauge thickness, with the appropriate re-engineering. Then they would be a legitimate competitor to AW mags.

Anyway, if I had the above factory specs for feed lips, I could reshape them to base, without having to buy more than I already have.

I have two CTR mags I used for comps and found out that the feed lips smash more closed if used in a manner other than gently caressing them. The stamped steel used to make them is a much thinner gauge than that used in AW (similar style) or AICS mags. Largely why my Tikka gets mostly ignored.

Imo the CTR mags should be bumped up at least one gauge thickness, with the appropriate re-engineering. Then they would be a legitimate competitor to AW mags.

Anyway, if I had the above factory specs for feed lips, I could reshape them to base, without having to buy more than I already have.
    The width between the feedlips are .42-.43 on my mags.

Not sure how you're handling your mags but mine get used in matches/practice without issue. I did compare the thickness between CTR and AW mags. The AWs were ~.012 thicker from what I could see (.036 vs .024). I did notice that the CTR mags have some form in the feedlips to stiffen them up. Moreso than AW mags in my opinion.

Not sure how you're handling your mags but mine get used in matches/practice without issue. I did compare the thickness between CTR and AW mags. The AWs were ~.012 thicker from what I could see (.036 vs .024). I did notice that the CTR mags have some form in the feedlips to stiffen them up. Moreso than AW mags in my opinion.
    Thanks for the info.

It may well be how the Tikka sets in the McCrees G10 chassis as received from factory. I often had to smack the mag to get it seated during a mag change or else it would not feed.

In retrospect, that’s likely the issue. One day I’ll pull it out and do a close review of the mag latch to chassis fit with the CTR mags.

How are you seating those mags, brother? ;-) LOL

giphy.gif