• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka CTR or Varmint?

TomRC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2019
Long time lurker but first post. Been thinking about setting up a long range rifle for years and about to pull the plug on a “starter” rifle that I can build on. It’s EXPENSIVE getting into this game and while I’d like to buy a higher end rifle I’ve got a lot of other startup expenses (reloading equip, scope, yada yada on and on forever it seems) so I’m going to start with either Tikka CTR or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Creedmore. Someone set me straight but I’m kind of leaning toward the Varmint over the CTR. Fondled many a CTR but never a varmint but it appears to have a slightly heavier barrel and I’ll probably drop whatever I buy in another stock or chassis at some point in the not to distance future. Main use will be plinking at 600-1000 yards to build competence and skill. I realize the CTR has the rail, better bolt hand but I it looks like the simple fact of the heavier barrel on the Varmint would make the most improvement in terms of overall long range accuracy while I learn this game. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
-Tom

Varmint isnt threaded so add 100 bucks onto its cost if you want to run a brake/can.

Glad to see that the vamint is offered in 6.5creed here stateside now!

Reactions: pineoak
Appreciate the input. Other than velocity loss am I going to lose much in terms of overall accuracy between the 20" & 24" versions of the CTR?

Tikka barrels are known for being slow, though typically very accurate. I would lean towards the 24” just to pick up that extra velocity.

No difference in accuracy, unless you want the shorter barrel to carry through the woods then stick with the 24”. You could always have it cut in the future

I'd lean towards the CTR for the mags and threaded barrel.

I'm seeing $150 difference in my cost on those two(Varmint vs black CTR).

I would budget a stock for either, with the CTR you already get a good DBM that can be used on a new aftermarket stock. If you shoot a can, the CTR is threaded. I really don't see a reason for the Varmint unless you want to keep the factory stock and stay with a 3/5 round mag.

That being said, I have a Varmint in .223 and think the stock is pretty nice with a stock pack. I'm looking to get a KRG Bravo just for the adjustment and cheap way to get into a nice DBM that holds more rounds. If they would have offered that rifle in a CTR, I would have bought it first.

In the same boat but I’ve got a lead on a varmint in 6.5cm and a stainless ctr 6.5cm.... plan on putting either in a bravo... I’m torn over the $150 price difference for stainless and threaded CTR, but afraid I might sacrifice a teensy but in accuracy going to the CTR. I have read that Tikka offers a 5 shot moa guarantee for the heavy barrel guns and 3 shot guarantee for the lighter barrels, if the CTR is looped in the heavy barrel class with a 5 shot guarantee then that would seem to be a no brained for me. I just haven’t been able to source a definitive answer. Are my fears of any significance? Or am I hesitating for no reason?

I won’t be able to afford to rebarrel anytime soon.

In the same boat but I’ve got a lead on a varmint in 6.5cm and a stainless ctr 6.5cm.... plan on putting either in a bravo... I’m torn over the $150 price difference for stainless and threaded CTR, but afraid I might sacrifice a teensy but in accuracy going to the CTR. I have read that Tikka offers a 5 shot moa guarantee for the heavy barrel guns and 3 shot guarantee for the lighter barrels, if the CTR is looped in the heavy barrel class with a 5 shot guarantee then that would seem to be a no brained for me. I just haven’t been able to source a definitive answer. Are my fears of any significance? Or am I hesitating for no reason?

I won’t be able to afford to rebarrel anytime soon.
I have a coulple ctr rifles and had a varmint in 6.5 creed. Both shot extremely well with no difference in accuracy. It really comes down to weight. Do you want a little more weight or not.

The CTR is a little lighter with the light palma(ish) barrel they use. This barrel is plenty heavy for target work. The varmint model uses a heavier barrel. Either or.

Reactions: DTJB
The CTR will take a drop in bottom metal that will use AICS mags. You can sell the bottom metal and mag from the factory for $100 or you can buy factory mags for $100. The barrel is threaded. That saves you $100+.

The CTR will take a drop in bottom metal that will use AICS mags. You can sell the bottom metal and mag from the factory for $100 or you can buy factory mags for $100. The barrel is threaded. That saves you $100+.
Factory mags can be found for $65-$85 depending on where you look. $100 ctr mags have been long gone.

If they would still import the varmint in .308, I would buy one and put it in a KRG Bravo for CTR mags. I'm not a huge fan of .308 these days but, I still like the idea of keeping something in the safe than can shoot cheap military surplus ammo.

Bob

24 in CTR. You won’t regret it. Factory gun, factory ammo. 1/2 moa all day and even better after broken in and i lowered the trigger to 1.5 lbs

64D9ABA3-0A0A-421B-9092-22FCCB80F360.jpeg
D7EE741A-F653-4A1A-BB9F-8D1BB7DF2497.jpeg
C273A36E-D2EB-4A2C-8729-852B1F297D1B.jpeg

Don't know if this carries any weight but I bought a Tikka T3x Varmint in 243 .in Australia It's pretty heavy to lug around esp with my thermal scope ( dipol tfa1200)However my reason for logging on is this site ... I hand load Hornady 87 grain vmax bullets with 32 grains of ADI2208 ( it's not a hot load at 2865fps) my first day down the range in Brisbane I shot 5 shot group ( .59 inch ) @ 100m ( my thumb nail ) .......i shoot pigs and vermin ...just wanted to say tikka/ sako make excellent firearms

Reactions: CaptNemo
If I was thinking of shooting long distance I would seriously consider a tikka with a heavy barrel in 6.5 ..

Personally I like the ctr contour better, and in addition i think the varmint is heavier than the ctr.

Having a Tikka Varmint in .223 with the 1:8 twist I’m always stoked by how accurate it is even after long fire strings (up to 17 shot strings in F-class comps).

If your only playing at ranges and not humping around mountains hunting, the Varmint would be my pick.