• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka CTR vs CZ 557 vs Steyr SSG 69

Thatrangelyfe

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2020
Someone please convince to stop playing around and to just get a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM, but a Razor HD Gen II variable 18x on it and just call it a day.

Please, please stop me from doing what my heart tells me to do: Buying a beautiful CZ 557 Varminter in .308 and putting a USO Foundation fixed 10 on it.

Alternatively, I may just completely lose control and buy a Steyr SSG 69 from CDNN for $1.3K. To be extra nasty, I may even put an IOR 3.5-18x on it (I am NOT trolling, though I'd probably regain my mind and put a Steiner on it).

This post is dead serious. Again, I am not trolling at all, even about the IOR part.

Background:

I'm moving to an area that's got a nice 1K range 45 minutes away. I'd love to get into PRS. I've got a background in and long love of firearms (just never got the chance to get into PRS).

As apparent I've got some "unique" tastes, and have got about a $4K budget. I'm torn between just going with something tried and true (Tikka CTR + Razor), or getting something as beautiful as it is functional/capable (CZ 557 Varminter, Steyr SSG, etc.). Not sure where the IOR fits into either of those categories, but sometimes it's fun to take a gamble.

Last edited:
Do the Tikka.
The CTR stock either fits you and the optic or it doesn’t. There are lots of options for a chassis or other stock if the Tikka OEM stock doesn’t fit well enough.
Not so much with your other choices.
if you are leaning toward a chassis and don’t need a threaded barrel, the Varmint models may make better sense than the CTR for the barreled action.
The Tikka / KRG Bravo combo is a proven winner, if you want to dig a little deeper in your wallet, there are plenty of other chasis and stocks.

If you want to get into prs than the tikka is the only option. It's only cool to have something "different " on the firing line than everyone else until you realize how much you want to change about your rig. Only to realize that there is little to no aftermarket support for your current platform. Ask me how I know.

For all the reasons mentioned above, Tikka. CTR is a highly adaptable comp rifle for PRS, straight out of the box will perform and the array of available after market components make the difference. I have 2 Tikkas (albeit varmints) and they just work. The CTR, in its factory stock is also a very good hunting platform if that floats your boat.
Mates with the Steiner scope and you have a great rig for comps.

Damn it. All of you are making too much sense. And not a single bite on the SSG 69...

Yea I'm 99% getting a Tikka as soon as this nightmare is over and I can move.

@jsel10 -tell me how you know.

Love my Tikka’s. My CZ’s are great, but they are essentially stock for obvious reasons. I shoot the Tikkas way more, and for more practical reasons.

Unless you want to drop the $$ for a TRG or AT, I would get the Tikka everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Tikka CTR and Vortex work well together. Ihave a CTR that I rebarreled in 6 Creedmoor and. Razor Gen II that I should have done from the beginning.

What magazines are available for the Steyr and CZ?
The CTR magazine is amazing, stupid smooth feeding and being double stack means you get 10 rounds in a very short package.
10 round magazines are a must have for the PRS style events I've competed in.

I really like the factor stock on the T3x and the fixed cheek piece on the CTR should be more than adequate for the Razor 3-18x50.
Should you end up with a 56mm scope and need more cheek height a stock pack may work or you may have to upgrade the stock.
Or as a middle ground you could fit one of these: http://www.kalixteknik.com/adjustable-cheek-rest-from-kalix-teknik-ab,-sweden.html

Damn it. All of you are making too much sense. And not a single bite on the SSG 69...

Got into this game about 2 years ago with an interest in prs style shooting. I was stuck on which factory rifle to buy. Paralysis by analysis was in full effect. I had my choices narrowed down to a Ruger RPR, Bergara HMR, and the Tikka CTR. Went to my local gun store to see if I could get my hands on them to help with the decision. The only one they had was the RPR. That one ruled itself out pretty quick. I hated the trigger as well as the overall feel of the gun. Then I spotted a green Sako on the rack. It was an A7 Roughtech longrange chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I loved the action. Super slick 3 lug with a 60 degree throw, nice trigger, and what I thought was a decent stock. Plus it was "different" from what you would commonly find on the line at a match. I slept on it for a night and convinced myself that this was my best option. So I went back and bought it the next day. I Immediately sent it to CDI for bottom metal so I could run AICS mags as the factory 3 rounder obviously wasnt going to cut it. Fast forward a couple months and I'm able to catch the last two local matches of the season. I had a blast, learned a ton, got my ass kicked, and met some great people who were kind enough to let me try their rigs. The shortcomings of the factory stock became immediately apparent, as well as the trigger. After scouring the internet for chassis and stocks it became clear that the platform I had chosen was nearly completely void of aftermarket support.
Dont get me wrong. It's a nice rifle, plenty accurate, and would be a great option if there were stock and chassis available. Unfortunately, for the most part it now just collects dust in the back of the safe.
So the moral of the story is JUST BUY THE DAMN TIKKA! For what I had invested in the Sako along with the bottom metal I could have done the CTR/ KRG Bravo combo, and might have never went the custom route.

@jsel10 you got mind control. Was just taking a hard look at that new Sako S20, and while intrigued I'm wary of the lack of an aftermarket for it. Really appreciate you relaying your experience. I'm going to go for the Tikka and when I'm rich enough to afford some toys will get myself an SSG 69.

Speaking of which @beetroot, SSG 69 has a fiver and a ten round plastic rotary mag. Both very expensive, the latter more so. Though you can apparently get a mag conversion kit from Styria that will set you back about four hundo but lets you take AICS mags. If you can handle that somewhat of a buzz kill, the SSG 69 is supposed to be a very accurate machine and a nice historical piece to boot. But sounds like something to go for later on in the game.

BTW, thanks a million for that Kalix Teknik tip -that's a hell of a cheek riser! Love the options for wood sporter stocks as well.

If only CZ would make the 557 Varmint in 6.5 CM............

If I were you I'd just buy the CZ but put a Razor HD on it.

CZ 557 10 round mags are double stack and should feed like butter. Only downside is they're $82 each.

If your budget is $4k all in I'd build something

Origin
Shouldered prefit in any length/contour you desire
TT special or Calvin elite
Chassis/stock of choice
Razor from the PX and ARC/vortex rings or used spuhr
Atlas CAL
Hellfire/heathen/apa gen 3

But otherwise your CTR and Razor is a good choice

But get the 4.5-27 razor

And for heavens sake dont get an IOR or even the steiner. Razor is the right choice you just picked the wrong mag range

Reactions: 260284
@308pirate Don't tempt me further! It's done Tikka. Love that wood on those CZ's though and heard they shoot good just haven't seen a legit range report yet on the varminter. Definitely the right price, and I wouldn't have to trash the stock. I wonder if they're just pissed at themselves for wasting their time making one in grendel and are scared of jumping on 6.5 CM. Their loss. I suspect they'd sell.

@b6graham I've been toying with the idea of a build, maybe getting that MPA barreled action (Curtis). That's a very nice machine you've laid out there though. How come I should go up to 27? Selling myself short with 18?

its not that you'll need the 27, but you're gonna spend most of the life of the scope between 10-18x. i'd rather that be the middle and not be close to max magnification all the time

the 3-6x range is basically worthless unless you take it hunting for fun

plus, the 3-18 and 4.5-27 are almost exactly the same size, so you're not saving hardly any weight or length going with the 4.5-27

Old guy with an SSG69, two Tikka's (223 and 6.5Creedmoor), and an AI/AT . Advice , save some more $$ and get an AI.There is some saying about cry once....

I would wait a few months and see if Tikka adds some new calibers. Rumors of a 6.5 PRC would be good if true. They also have a new model in a stock that looks like a Bravo. The UPR.
76C41170-5517-4BED-AFC8-CCD64C8654B9.png

I have a tikka t3 sporter 223, sako trg22 and Steyr ssg04 308. I will tell you, Steyr rifle is as accurate as trg22 with same ammo. In fact, both Steyr and trg 22 will give me 1/2 moa from bench any day when wind is not an issue. Sako owns tikka if I remember right. And tikka uses sako barrel.
Given that is the case, I would pick tikka over Steyr for aftermarket support. If you get the ssg69, you will find it is a accurate and great rifle. But there is no option to upgrade stock or chassis. I wanted to upgrade my ssg04 to a chassis. Nothing! Yes, I love my ssg04 and stg22. Do I need upgrade on either one? NO. But I like to.

Steyr SSG69 is a very accurate rifle and a wonderful historical piece. I used to own a 20" version with double set trigger that I had to sell several years back.

It is not a rifle I would have used for PRS/NRL for several reasons. In my experience, the plastic 5 round magazines are flimsy, and the plastic tabs that act as the magazine release (located on the sides of the mags) are somewhat prone to breakage. The factory 10 rounders are very rare and expensive when you do find them. The DBM (also plastic) is prone to cracking, and will corrode/weaken if you get any solvent on it. As another poster mentioned, Styria Arms in Austria makes a metal DBM that allows the use of AICS magazines but then you're looking at a $400-ish upgrade. McMillan makes a very nice aftermarket stock for the SSG69. Also, the barrels are not threaded into the SSG69 receiver, but are press-fit. So if you shoot your barrel out or want to change calibers, it will not be a simple proposition.

The SSG69 shoots great and I will own another one someday (26" barrel version next time), but as a historical piece only.

As far as military sniper rifles that I would use in PRS/NRL comp - AI anything, Sako TRG22, or possibly SIG SSG3000 (if you can source spare parts).

But from your initial list, Tikka is definitely the way to go.

I have 3 SSG-69's that I would not give up. Sub MOA out of the box with factory hunting ammo. Pretty much 1/2" with GMM. All have Kahles optics.