• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka durability question

CST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Md
I'm new to Tikka and was thinking about starting a new project. I plan on a cadex or MDT chassis at some point . But All I've ever known was Remington 700s.

As a military sniper rifle or a field gun that takes a beating...how reliable is the recoil lug system in the Tikka action? You got after market companies putting in integrated recoil lugs or thicker lugs in the 700clones... I've accidentally "dropped tested" my ga precision M40a3 many times before with no loss of zero.

I haven't seen any complaints on the Tikka but I have to ask before I dive in
Thanks

The recoil lug is not where the weak point is on a Tikka.

The bolt handle breaking off because of a failure at the dovetail in the bolt body is one potential concern.

Another is a failure of the bolt stop pin.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I’ve never seen or heard of a steel one failing but it’s not a very substantial lug to say the least nor is the engagement area in the action. I doubt it would pass mil drop tests, but that’s also not what it was designed for. It’s a consumer grade rifle that’s meant for recreational use. If you want a hard use rifle that can take abuse buy an AI.

As mentioned the bolt handles and bolt stop pin are much more common failures. Another is the ejector springs tend to wear pretty quick. 1000 rounds is usually about the most you’ll get out of one before it’s not ejecting cases.

I’ve never seen or heard of a steel one failing but it’s not a very substantial lug to say the least nor is the engagement area in the action. I doubt it would pass mil drop tests, but that’s also not what it was designed for. It’s a consumer grade rifle that’s meant for recreational use. If you want a hard use rifle that can take abuse buy an AI.

As mentioned the bolt handles and bolt stop pin are much more common failures. Another is the ejector springs tend to wear pretty quick. 1000 rounds is usually about the most you’ll get out of one before it’s not ejecting cases.
Has anybody actually ever hurt the bolt handle dovetail? I haven’t seen any posts about that, perhaps I missed them.

Has anybody actually ever hurt the bolt handle dovetail? I haven’t seen any posts about that, perhaps I missed them.

@clcustom1911 had a whole ordeal.

Got a shop to weld it up and good to go.
Dropped a wrong handed one off a bench and landed on the bolt on the floor (this is all if memory serves, I am an old fart, so who knows?)

Reactions: clcustom1911
I personally know of two. And I remember seeing something about it in a thread a while back.

Also, If I remember correctly, LRI was even offering some sort of improvement on their after market bolts that involved some radiuses in the corners.

Thanks for the eye opener about the bolts. Remington bolts break off too. However repairing a fractured dovetail maybe an issue. Could I get a while new bolt from Tikka if that happens?... Instead of welding

Looks like the sako Trg also has recoil lugs in the stock so military drop tests aren't an issue for this design?

I've got one tikka that has a few thousand rounds through it shooting matches. Never had a problem with the bolt handle. I did lose a bolt stop pin once and replaced it with a drill bit I cut off. Never had an issue with them. LRI isn't making Tikka bolts anymore, never said why just stopped.

Thanks for the eye opener about the bolts. Remington bolts break off too. However repairing a fractured dovetail maybe an issue. Could I get a while new bolt from Tikka if that happens?... Instead of welding

Looks like the sako Trg also has recoil lugs in the stock so military drop tests aren't an issue for this design?

The TRG has multiple lugs and also bolts to a metal bed, they're not really at all similar to the Tikka with one lug dropped into the stock.

As far as new bolt from Tikka, they're hard AF to get and like $500. You can buy a new T3 lite and rob the bolt out of it and part out the action and barrel and be money ahead. It costs more for a Tikka bolt than an Impact bolt which is insane.

When a Remington bolt snaps off its the soldering giving way and you can have it tig welded back on for about $100 and timed at the same time and it will never happen again.

Tikkas are great out of the box rifles, but they have their downfalls and one of them is lack of any support from Beretta. You basically have no warranty because even if they will warranty it dealing with them isn't worth it.

I have one Tikka action with currently over 12,000 rounds (223j. It’s on its third barrel, first two got pulled around 7500 and 8000 rounds. All factory hammer forged barrels, second two were take off from new rifles getting converted to special purpose. Shot almost exclusively 80 Bergers in all, as training rifle, and loaner rifle for wind reading, solver classes. Had another couple of Tikka actions with several barrels worn out in 6.5 x47. Never had an issue, and always just used the factory trigger.

Having said that, they are a CAD designed action and consumer grade. Very good bedding definitely helped with accuracy, I suspect there is a little flex due to the light weight design, but no science to back that up. In each rifle, an aftermarket steel recoil lug was used and bedded by an excellent gunsmith, and a Sterk titanium bolt handle fitted.

The TRG has multiple lugs and also bolts to a metal bed, they're not really at all similar to the Tikka with one lug dropped into the stock.

As far as new bolt from Tikka, they're hard AF to get and like $500. You can buy a new T3 lite and rob the bolt out of it and part out the action and barrel and be money ahead. It costs more for a Tikka bolt than an Impact bolt which is insane.

When a Remington bolt snaps off its the soldering giving way and you can have it tig welded back on for about $100 and timed at the same time and it will never happen again.

Tikkas are great out of the box rifles, but they have their downfalls and one of them is lack of any support from Beretta. You basically have no warranty because even if they will warranty it dealing with them isn't worth it.
I’m in Australia, but have to agree about lack of any support from Beretta. Fortunately the QC on Sako Tikka products is very high, unlike poor ole Remington, who seem to have a lot of Monday morning, Friday afternoon ( or any other day) shitters sold in gun shops.

Reactions: Bravo6

Thanks for the info. My plan was to bolt it to a cadex or similar chassis. Lowlight put a video years ago about a Tikka he updated into the cadex field model? Looked sharp and shot well.

I was hoping Tikkas time proven design would be "military" tough too so its one thing less to worry about. It's bad enough for me to keep my shooting techniques and reloading straight and add equipment issues on top of it.

Thanks for the info. My plan was to bolt it to a cadex or similar chassis. Lowlight put a video years ago about a Tikka he updated into the cadex field model? Looked sharp and shot well.

I was hoping Tikkas time proven design would be "military" tough too so its one thing less to worry about. It's bad enough for me to keep my shooting techniques and reloading straight and add equipment issues on top of it.

Buying a Tikka and then immediately bolting it in a $2000+ chassis kind of defeats any value in an off the shelf rifle like that and puts you into the price range of better stuff. At that point you could have a TRG for less money, you could build a custom off an Origin, or for a little more you can buy an AI. Cadex also wouldn't be my choice for a chassis, they don't ride a support bag will and acc's and support is limited.

I like Tikkas, IMO they're the best off the shelf rifles in the $1K range you can get but dumping a bunch of money in one doesn't make a bunch of sense to me.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Buying a Tikka and then immediately bolting it in a $2000+ chassis kind of defeats any value in an off the shelf rifle like that and puts you into the price range of better stuff. At that point you could have a TRG for less money, you could build a custom off an Origin, or for a little more you can buy an AI. Cadex also wouldn't be my choice for a chassis, they don't ride a support bag will and acc's and support is limited.

I like Tikkas, IMO they're the best off the shelf rifles in the $1K range you can get but dumping a bunch of money in one doesn't make a bunch of sense to me.

I appreciate the input. This next build is a project gun and I'm just trying to gauge the quality of the receiver and any potential issues I may run into since I've never owned one before. I'm not building a PRS rifle. I'm open to considering other options. This thread is strictly about the Tikka.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bolt dovetail issues. I have only seen 3 or 4 mentioned on the hide ever (this is including the ones mentioned above). Biggest thing is don't drop it with the bolt open.

Which chassis were you thinking? I've got my t3x in a KRG whiskey 3 and my t1x in an MDT xrs.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bolt dovetail issues. I have only seen 3 or 4 mentioned on the hide ever (this is including the ones mentioned above). Biggest thing is don't drop it with the bolt open.

Which chassis were you thinking? I've got my t3x in a KRG whiskey 3 and my t1x in an MDT xrs.

I'm thinking the MDT acc elite and the krg..all these chassis are new to me. I've only owned AI and McMillan stocks over the last 25 years

Worst customer service in the industry. If you do break something, you're on your own. If you're worried about this ahead of your purchase, go a different direction. Beretta USA is the parent company, and has an F rating with the BBB. Check it out.

Reactions: Dolomite
Worst customer service in the industry. If you do break something, you're on your own. If you're worried about this ahead of your purchase, go a different direction. Beretta USA is the parent company, and has an F rating with the BBB. Check it out.
That`s not really necessary, I don`t believe. I think that there are service centers, probably contracted to Beretta, that negate the necessity of having to deal directly with Beretta USA for service on Tikka rifles. I wouldn`t let Beretta USA`s miserable customer service keep me from purchasing a Tikka rifle, if indeed I`m correct concerning the service centers. There are so many Tikka owners on SH I`m sure they have more complete info on this.
Edit: Looked it up. Beretta has five contracted service centers for Tikka rifles. Surely at least one has got to be satisfactory!

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
Is a custom actually better than a Tikka action? You can get more /different features in a custom action but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that a custom is objectively better.

Reactions: Gwak2006
That`s not really necessary, I don`t believe. I think that there are service centers, probably contracted to Beretta, that negate the necessity of having to deal directly with Beretta USA for service on Tikka rifles. I wouldn`t let Beretta USA`s miserable customer service keep me from purchasing a Tikka rifle, if indeed I`m correct concerning the service centers. There are so many Tikka owners on SH I`m sure they have more complete info on this.
Edit: Looked it up. Beretta has five contracted service centers for Tikka rifles. Surely at least one has got to be satisfactory!
Yeah, and one of them has had my rifle for 3 years and refuse to return it or discuss it with me. Make no mistake friend, they are also beretta USA. Tikka makes a good rifle, I think you'll just need to accept that in the event of a failure, you'll need to pay for the repair yourself with an independent gunsmith.

Is a custom actually better than a Tikka action? You can get more /different features in a custom action but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that a custom is objectively better.

Yes they are. Tikka is a great factory action but it doesn’t come close to a custom. They’re mass produced actions and customs are made to very tight tolerances. Many shops won’t do Tikka prefits without the action to measure because of headspace issues some have had.

You also have far better stock/chassis selection with customs and you actually have trigger options.

Wondered how long it would take you to post this up? Pay BBB money and you can have the best rating available, a BBB rating is pointless.

Yes they are. Tikka is a great factory action but it doesn’t come close to a custom. They’re mass produced actions and customs are made to very tight tolerances. Many shops won’t do Tikka prefits without the action to measure because of headspace issues some have had.

You also have far better stock/chassis selection with customs and you actually have trigger options.

Yet I can get prefits from several different sources. I've only put 5 prefits on a tikka action, none have had headspace issues.

Mass produced doesn't mean they can't hold the necessary tolerances for a good action. To that point, I wasn't aware if headspace issues with prefit barrels. Had a couple prefits spun up by PVA and SPR with no issues at all.

Trigger and chassis options are more prevalent for 700 footprints but it's not like you have no options for tikkas.

My thoughts were more around using feeding, reliability, and accuracy as the metrics for objectively better.

@CST

The above is not entirely accurate. While Beretta may or may not be a hassle to deal with, there is no reason to deal with them directly for service or warranty issues.

Beretta has a network of authorized service centers that A) know the guns as well or better than Beretta, B) have access to all Beretta OEM parts, specs, instructions, tech support, etc and C) will deal with the mothership in TN/Italy if needed instead of you having to do it.

I don't have any Beretta Group rifles, but I do have had multiple of their shotguns including one that saw heavy use as a sporting clays competition gun. The place I bought that 686 Sporting (Cole Gunsmithing) is one of those service centers and when I bought it they told me exactly what I'm telling you.

Mass produced doesn't mean they can't hold the necessary tolerances for a good action. To that point, I wasn't aware if headspace issues with prefit barrels. Had a couple prefits spun up by PVA and SPR with no issues at all.

Trigger and chassis options are more prevalent for 700 footprints but it's not like you have no options for tikkas.

My thoughts were more around using feeding, reliability, and accuracy as the metrics for objectively better.
Guy's a manufacturing/machining expert along with everything else

I've had a shit ton of customs and a shit ton of Tikkas. They've all run the gambit from training/range type guns to matches with varying degrees of treachery. I've had issues with both, but for every ejector spring I've had to replace in a Tikka, I've broke a trigger or firing pin in a custom. It just doesn't happen often enough or to a degree of severity in which I would say one is appreciably more reliable or durable than the other.

I still prefer the customs just because they're nicer, but it's like buying a Lexus vs. a base model Toyota. Both get the job done, both are generally reliable, and it really just boils down to what you feel like spending.

All that said, I'll never understand the draw to putting a Tikka into a chassis costing ~double what the initial gun cost. You don't buy the Toyota and put $5k wheels on it. Maintain it properly and drive that bitch until it dies.

@CST

The above is not entirely accurate. While Beretta may or may not be a hassle to deal with, there is no reason to deal with them directly for service or warranty issues.

Beretta has a network of authorized service centers that A) know the guns as well or better than Beretta, B) have access to all Beretta OEM parts, specs, instructions, tech support, etc and C) will deal with the mothership in TN/Italy if needed instead of you having to do it.

I don't have any Beretta Group rifles, but I do have had multiple of their shotguns including one that saw heavy use as a sporting clays competition gun. The place I bought that 686 Sporting (Cole Gunsmithing) is one of those service centers and when I bought it they told me exactly what I'm telling you.

Their service centers suck too and they have to approve the work. Outside of coles or Joel etchen for shotguns, good fucking luck. You’re better off fixing the shit yourself. Also if you don’t send it back in 100% factory configuration = warranty void.

Here’s what one guy is dealing with on his shotgun with one of their service centers.

I’ve dealt with Beretta on warranty issues and I would never do it again, they suck ass.

As I said they are good actions and great factory rifles. If $1K is what you have to spend go buy a Tikka and you’ve got a solid rifle. Buying one to strip to the action for a build instead of just buying a better customer however is fucking dumb.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
As I said they are good actions and great factory rifles. If $1K is what you have to spend go buy a Tikka and you’ve got a solid rifle. Buying one to strip to the action for a build instead of just buying a better customer however is fucking dumb.
My point was more around how you'd quantify "better". In my opinion, you're not leaving anything on the table by using a tikka as a base for a build.

My point was more around how you'd quantify "better". In my opinion, you're not leaving anything on the table by using a tikka as a base for a build.

An action with tighter all around machining tolerances that has better aftermarket support, doesn’t have issues with bolt handles and bolt stop pins breaking and premature ejector spring wear is better…

If you want to pretend a Tikka is just as good I don’t give a shit, but it isn’t.

Their service centers suck too and they have to approve the work. Outside of coles or Joel etchen for shotguns, good fucking luck. You’re better off fixing the shit yourself.
Here’s what one guy is dealing with on his shotgun with one of their service centers.

It's some guy on a rant. But cool story.

Also if you don’t send it back in 100% factory configuration = warranty void.
Read the terms of the warranty before fucking with things.

I’ve dealt with Beretta on warranty issues and I would never do it again, they suck ass.
Again cool story

It's some guy on a rant. But cool story.

Read the terms of the warranty before fucking with things.

Again cool story

Yeah some guy on a rant because he's sent his shotgun to one of these third party warranty centers you suggested multiple times and they've sent it back each time not repaired.

The OP wants to put a Tikka in a chassis which voids the warranty so is applicable to this situation. He will have no warranty.

I really don't fucking get people. Because they like something they will 100% deny any fault associated with it whatsoever. You're a fanboy, we get it. Tikkas still have their flaws. I own them and I'm not afraid to point them out.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Wondered how long it would take you to post this up? Pay BBB money and you can have the best rating available, a BBB rating is pointless.
You literally have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Get the Tikka jizz off your chin. Their customer service is absolutely trash, no debate from anyone who's had any real experience dealing with them. And guess what fan boy, I don't give a shit if you suck Beretta phallus for the world to see, when I see an opportunity to pass my story on to someone who can avoid the same bullshit I dealt with, I'll tell the story again. I hope you read it a thousand times.

Wait, why don't you do me a favor?

You seem to believe that something I've said isn't true. I've shared the pictures of this rifle on SH several times with the serial number exposed. Hell, I'll do it again. Why don't you call them and ask them why they stole my fucking rifle and refuse to return it. Ask them why after almost 4 years, they have never contacted me once. Never responded to an email, a phone call, a formal complaint, etc. You ask them.. or....

Shut the fuck up. You won't call them for me, I'm certain of that, so just do the latter. Shut your brand loyal mouth about shit you don't know anything about. Fucking bootlicker.

I had a Tikka break a firing pin. I contacted Beretta CS via the online portal. Had a text chat with someone for about 3 minutes and had a new firing assembly to my door a few days later. It was even in a chassis and had an aftermarket scope mount.
Just one mans personal experience.

Yeah, and one of them has had my rifle for 3 years and refuse to return it or discuss it with me. Make no mistake friend, they are also beretta USA. Tikka makes a good rifle, I think you'll just need to accept that in the event of a failure, you'll need to pay for the repair yourself with an independent gunsmith.
Oh man, that`s terrible. I figured at least one of them must render good service. Maybe not. So....they stole your rifle?

I had a Tikka break a firing pin. I contacted Beretta CS via the online portal. Had a text chat with someone for about 3 minutes and had a new firing assembly to my door a few days later. It was even in a chassis and had an aftermarket scope mount.
Just one mans personal experience.
LOL

1697483037724.png

Reactions: 308pirate
You literally have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Get the Tikka jizz off your chin. Their customer service is absolutely trash, no debate from anyone who's had any real experience dealing with them. And guess what fan boy, I don't give a shit if you suck Beretta phallus for the world to see, when I see an opportunity to pass my story on to someone who can avoid the same bullshit I dealt with, I'll tell the story again. I hope you read it a thousand times.

Wait, why don't you do me a favor?

You seem to believe that something I've said isn't true. I've shared the pictures of this rifle on SH several times with the serial number exposed. Hell, I'll do it again. Why don't you call them and ask them why they stole my fucking rifle and refuse to return it. Ask them why after almost 4 years, they have never contacted me once. Never responded to an email, a phone call, a formal complaint, etc. You ask them.. or....

Shut the fuck up. You won't call them for me, I'm certain of that, so just do the latter. Shut your brand loyal mouth about shit you don't know anything about. Fucking bootlicker.
C’mon. You need to either hire hire a lawyer to draft a letter or write one yourself explaining the situation (calm voice! Just the facts).

Then send four PAPER letters; one to your state AG, a certified one to CEO BerettaNA HQ, and the third to CEO Beretta worldwide Corp HQ (international, you’ll need to figure out the signature confirmation part). Oh, and the certified fourth to the ATF (they stole you firearm).

USPS certified = signature req from recipient

On the bottom of each letter, write:
“CC:” followed by the three other places you’ve also sent letters.

That last bit is super impt.

This will fucking get some goddamn attention. Like, NOW.

I’ve prev laid this out for you in a different post. Do it (or maybe lay off the bitching? Please?)

Last edited:
Reactions: RPN and Baron23
Ive done everything
C’mon. You need to either hire hire a lawyer to draft a letter or write one yourself explaining the situation (calm voice! Just the facts).

Then send four letters; one to your state AG, a certified one to CEO BerettaNA HQ, and the third to CEO Beretta worldwide Corp HQ (international, you’ll need to figure out the signature confirmation part). Oh, and the certified fourth to the ATF (they stole you firearm).

USPS certified = signature req from recipient

On the bottom of each letter, write:
“CC:” followed by the three other places you’ve also sent letters.

This will fucking get some goddamn attention. Like, NOW.

I’ve prev laid this out for you in a different post. Do it (or maybe lay off the bitching? Please?)
I've done everything you've described here with the exception of calling the atf and contacting the state AG. I spoke to two lawyers, and they don't know what to do about it. Neither of them felt like it was worth their time for a $500 loss. I wasn't bitching until the bootlicker decided to run his mouth. I will not stop telling this story. When it is applicable, I will repeat it. They may have stolen my $500 rifle, and I have no recourse except to make the story as public as reasonably possible. If you read the BBB website, you'll realize that they've done this to a handful of people. This is part of their business strategy, and they know that there is nothing that one can do about it.

For whoever asked, they had me send the rifle to one of their shops in MD.

Which one?

I think you're asking me which rifle?

It was a T1X that blew up in my hands. The bottom (plastic), exploded out into my arms. It destroyed the bottom (plastic), the magazine, and the trigger guard. They told me it would be no problem, sent me a shipping label, and I've never heard from them again. Hundreds of phone calls, emails to everyone in the corporate structure with an email address, I've mailed letters, filed a complaint with the BBB, and on and on. When I call they put me on hold and never pick up the phone again. They are useless..

I've done everything you've described here with the exception of calling the atf and contacting the state AG.
Unfortunately those two steps are literally the MOST IMPORTANT.

You just writing letters won’t work.

They have to see that you have also contacted the powerful state AG and the ATF.

You also should address the letters directly to the CEO and not some customer service center. They have to be paper (no email) and must have signature required. No deniability.

Forgot to mention that you should say that you’ve sent these other letters to AG/ATF in the body of the letter and also the CC area (after your signature). Don’t come across like a crazy.

I have resolved some sticky situations this way. Got a brand new $12k BMW engine once.

It works, but Beretta must know that things could get quite unpleasant for them if they don’t shape up.

Obviously this takes some work, some digging to find out CEO names and addresses, ATF stolen-firearms address, AG address, some research on how to properly format a biz letter (if you don’t know how already). It’s a pain to go to the post office and pay for signature-required service.

But man-o-man did stuff start happening for me. Changed their tune real quick.

calling the atf

And no calling. All paper letters.

I think you're asking me which rifle?

It was a T1X that blew up in my hands. The bottom (plastic), exploded out into my arms. It destroyed the bottom (plastic), the magazine, and the trigger guard. They told me it would be no problem, sent me a shipping label, and I've never heard from them again. Hundreds of phone calls, emails to everyone in the corporate structure with an email address, I've mailed letters, filed a complaint with the BBB, and on and on. When I call they put me on hold and never pick up the phone again. They are useless..

No, which one of the service centers is keeping your rifle.

I would do what @carbonbased has suggested, unless you've already done exactly that. And maybe get a lawyer involved.