• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka ejection issues

patriot07

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
Dallas
I have a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 creedmoor. I love the rifle, but just recently it has started dumping empty cases right on top of the magazine about half the time (extracting, but not ejecting). It ejects fine if I cycle the bolt really slowly, but if I run it at a normal semi-quick speed, that's when I have the problems. I have about 600-700 rounds through the gun.

I took the ejector and extractor out and cleaned them and it kept happening. Called Tikka customer service and they sent me a kit of ejector/extractor parts. I put those in and it's still happening.

The only thing that has changed is that I recently found an accuracy node on a pretty warm load (43.2 gr H-4350, 210M, 140 ELD-M), but there aren't any pressure signs, the ES/SD are very low, and the groups are small. That load is running at 2,780 fps.

Anyone have similar issues?

One more thing - it does this even when I'm cycling rounds without firing, and when I put empty cases in to check cycling. It doesn't happen only when firing.

Is it scoped? 2 of my T3s did this, until i found out the brass was hitting my windage knob in ARC low rings. Went to ARC meds and my problem went away.

Reactions: MarinePMI
What Kabar said. You'll need to use higher rings to prevent this (same thing happens on my daughter's CTR with low rings and Gen II Rzr 4-27).

I put an ss 3-15 on my CTR in seekins lows. About every other ejected case fell back into the action. As mentioned above windage knob deflection can happen with low rings and tacticool scopes

I went to a Bushnell LRHS instead of higher rings, not sure if mediums would’ve cured it and I don’t care for really high mounted scopes on my rifles

Just take out the scope and test cycling. Almost sure is the scope windage turret.

I will double check that, but I've watched while cycling live rounds and empty shells and I don't remember it ever getting through the ejection port.

Update: looks like you guys were right. I have a bunch of nicks on the bottom of the windage turret :(

I just bought these Seekins rings - should have put 2 and 2 together...guess they'll be in the PX soon. Going back to my SWFA rings since they're apparently high enough to work fine. They should be adequate on a braked 6.5 CM.

Depending on your build, you may be able to move the scope forward a bit to eliminate the problem as well. That’s what I did for this same issue.

Thanks for posting this, breaking in my new Tikka soon if I ran into this issue, would have been stumped.

Reactions: patriot07
Depending on your build, you may be able to move the scope forward a bit to eliminate the problem as well. That’s what I did for this same issue.
Tried that first. By the time I moved it far enough forward to clear the brass, the eye relief was way off kilter. Couldn't giraffe my neck out far enough to see well, and the SWFA has pretty forgiving eye relief in my experience. So I just stuck my SWFA rings back on. Wish I'd been able to keep the Seekins - they've held zero perfectly and they grip the scope body much better than the SWFA. But I'm hoping just pushing the SWFA rings forward during installation will help resolve the holding zero issue I had with them awhile back.

Thanks for posting this, breaking in my new Tikka soon if I ran into this issue, would have been stumped.
I was stumped, and the story was way worse than I originally told. After cleaning the extractor/ejector and calling Beretta and having them send me the kit of parts, I tried to install them and couldn't get the roll pin out. I had totally forgot to pull the firing pin before sticking my punch in there and hammering away, so I damaged the firing pin pretty badly. Called up Beretta and they were nice enough to fix it under warranty for me since I was doing an at-home warranty repair, but they warned me that this was a one-time courtesy and I should only have a licensed gunsmith work on it from this point on or send it in to them. So after working on it myself, getting parts, working on it myself again, sending the whole bolt in and getting it back, I find out that I just needed to move the scope...:oops:

I was stumped, and the story was way worse than I originally told. After cleaning the extractor/ejector and calling Beretta and having them send me the kit of parts, I tried to install them and couldn't get the roll pin out. I had totally forgot to pull the firing pin before sticking my punch in there and hammering away, so I damaged the firing pin pretty badly. Called up Beretta and they were nice enough to fix it under warranty for me since I was doing an at-home warranty repair, but they warned me that this was a one-time courtesy and I should only have a licensed gunsmith work on it from this point on or send it in to them. So after working on it myself, getting parts, working on it myself again, sending the whole bolt in and getting it back, I find out that I just needed to move the scope...:oops:

That really sucks, I'll be watching my ejection pattern for sure.