• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Experts-Opinion Needed

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    I'm looking at getting another 270win rifle. I don't know why, but I've got the need (okay, maybe it's just a want). I'm pretty sure I want a Tikka but I'm not sure if it will be a Lite or a Hunter. Since I know nothing about the Tikka brand other than it seems to be well respected on the Hide, I thought I'd get some other opinions on the matter. I've got 2 other 270 rifles, a Browning A Bolt and a cheap Thompson Venture.

I'll probably this rifle more sighting in the scope than I will in the woods, but it's something I want, so I'm going to get it.

I'm wondering what's the difference in these 2 models? Do you have any experience with either or both? Opinions on which I should purchase for an older fat man who is out of shape and has more health issues than I care to admit.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Tikka Lite comes with a Synthetic stock and the Hunter comes with a wood stock.

Reactions: Bakwa
    Please go to the better business bureau website and read about Beretta USA before you commit to a tikka. They have my rifle since January 2020 and refuse to speak to me about it. Tikka rifles are nice, but if you ever have a problem, they are likely to steal your rifle. Don't take my word for it, read the BBB reports. They do it all the time..

Reactions: Krawlven
    Beretta USA.. OMG I believe they only hire people with previous Dept of Motor vehicle customer service experience
    try getting an OEM barrel for a trg 42 (without having to buy a complete rifle)

I'm looking at getting another 270win rifle. I don't know why, but I've got the need (okay, maybe it's just a want). I'm pretty sure I want a Tikka but I'm not sure if it will be a Lite or a Hunter. Since I know nothing about the Tikka brand other than it seems to be well respected on the Hide, I thought I'd get some other opinions on the matter. I've got 2 other 270 rifles, a Browning A Bolt and a cheap Thompson Venture.

I'll probably this rifle more sighting in the scope than I will in the woods, but it's something I want, so I'm going to get it.

I'm wondering what's the difference in these 2 models? Do you have any experience with either or both? Opinions on which I should purchase for an older fat man who is out of shape and has more health issues than I care to admit.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    your heart set on a Tikka? when it comes to 270's... got to love a Pre64 Winchester :)

Tikkas are solid workhorse rifles. In general they are understated and lack 'personality' quirks, and simply get the job done.

The widespread availability of TIkka is its appeal, you can go buy one just about anywhere.

Beretta USA.. OMG I believe they only hire people with previous Dept of Motor vehicle customer service experience
    try getting an OEM barrel for a trg 42 (without having to buy a complete rifle)
    Side note: if you can use an aftermarket barrel I can make you one without having the action here.

I have had a T3 Tikka in 270 at least 20 years ( wood Stock ) It's a lazer with 130gr doesn't like the 150's at all. PM me if you have any questions

pre '64 70? in 90% shape i bet 2K + if you can find one not rode hard

I'll consider it, but I was hoping to keep the entire build capped at $2k. It would be very nice to own one, but I'm also considering it as a shooter that will come out of the safe maybe 4 or 5 times a year at most.

I've got the information, I just need to decide if that's what I really want.

In My Opinion - My issue with the Tikka Hunters is they are 22.4 inch barrel. The 270 really needs a 24" to take advantage of the speed the cartridge was designed for.

My factory 1956 270 featherweight, can do 1/2 MOA with reloads. Granted that's when I was shooting through a weaver K4 dot scope. So, that's a challenge there in itself.

It loves the 130 grain boat tail #1820 GameKing bullet
    My grandfather used 110 grains on coyotes, because he could get them to fly.. around 3300 fps. the 130 grainers were around 3100ish.

I love the 3-position safety on the Win.

Reactions: moosemeat
    Tikka's are great, I've got three of them. Never had an issue and all shoot well. Like Bohem mentioned above you can have a prefit barrel made for it without sending it to a gunsmith.
    If you like the forest wood stock I have one that I'd let go cheap since it's in a manners stock now. https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-forest.

I would love a pre 64 model 70, but have you seen the quality of them that are for sale? I can't buy something that looks that bad.

I know a guy who has literal piles of pre 64 winchesters in all calibers. I'll see him in Dec so I can ask about price if you want.

I know a guy who has literal piles of pre 64 winchesters in all calibers. I'll see him in Dec so I can ask about price if you want.

I was hoping to get out with a new rifle. It's not a big deal, but I guess it won't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

It's just the stock, it will fit all the tikka T3's as they're all the same action, bolt stop makes them long or short action. Mine are 6.5 CM, 30-06, and a 7 saum that I put together with a prefit barrel.

Tikka 270 or 270WSM are reliable and accurate rifles. The wood stocks are nice but I wouldn’t get a wood stock for a hard recoiling cartridge because of the tikka lug design. A 270 is probably ok especially if you only shoot it occasionally as it sounds like you plan to do.

I don't own a Tikka, but I called Beretta Customer Service 2 months ago when I was interested in a Sako/Tikka. Their answers were truly honest; They said their techs know everything for Beretta, but don't much at all (in the US) about Sako/Tikka. He talked me right out of them. The Sako/Tikka look nice, but I've learn to buy products from companies that I am sure that they will stand behind their work.

Cheers,
    CG

Reactions: BullGear
    I don't own a Tikka, but I called Beretta Customer Service 2 months ago when I was interested in a Sako/Tikka. Their answers were truly honest; They said their techs know everything for Beretta, but don't much at all (in the US) about Sako/Tikka. He talked me right out of them. The Sako/Tikka look nice, but I've learn to buy products from companies that I am sure that they will stand behind their work.

Cheers,
    CG

You called customer service before buying a rifle? I'll bet you use the BBB for their reviews of companies too.

Cheers,
    CG
    Theres nothing so expensive on a Tikka you can't just buy another part to replace it for <$400. Point being that a 1/10 chance of replacing a $400 part is a $40 expected loss. If you think about the costs of building and running a precision rifle, this the cost of a extra box of factory ammo.

In reality... i'd estimate real number is below 1/100 rifles might warrant a a call to OEM / Warranty...the 1/100 chance of losing $400 is equates to a $4 expected loss... At that kind of risk level, IMHO and the market seems to agree, it's basically cost effective to 'self insure'..., because even new actions, bolts, barrels, stocks etc are readily available new or used.

Sako is a different story, because any replacement part no matter how small seemingly cost like $200.

Cheers,
    CG

Thanks, that's eye opening...

You called customer service before buying a rifle? I'll bet you use the BBB for their reviews of companies too.
    Ha, sometimes. At the business I own I regularly have to do a lot of research before I buy equipment. It’s natural for me to rundown all the information I can glean from all sources, a single word or phrase can take you down a rabbit hole that you would have never seen…

What happened was I wanted to know more about the Sako S20. Every upc I could find was only on their fluted barrels and wanted to know more about the unfluted barrels. I called Beretta technical support. The gentleman I spoke with was very easy to talk to and we had a +20 min conversation about Beraetta, Sako, and Tikka. I really appreciate honesty, even though it push me away from purchasing a rifle. On the other hand, it makes me look at them favorably for purchasing specifically Beretta products.

Cheers,
    CG

Cheers,
    CG
    Based your decisions from what you gleaned from a phone call to a phone tech in customer service ? They talked you outta buying one of their products and you still trust their judgement ? That's some funny shit right there .

Reactions: long range sponge

Cheers,
    CG

The Subject of this thread . :rolleyes:
    1666266304764.png

Please go to the better business bureau website and read about Beretta USA before you commit to a tikka. They have my rifle since January 2020 and refuse to speak to me about it. Tikka rifles are nice, but if you ever have a problem, they are likely to steal your rifle. Don't take my word for it, read the BBB reports. They do it all the time..
    What did you send it in for?

Cheers,
    CG
    Maybe he talked you out of one because Beretta is just the US importer for Tikka? I'm sure Beretta doesn't get much of a profit since it is a Tikka. Just a thought. Did he talk you in to a Beretta?

I haven't heard many bad things about Tikkas at all, besides the warranty work having to go through Beretta.

In My Opinion - My issue with the Tikka Hunters is they are 22.4 inch barrel. The 270 really needs a 24" to take advantage of the speed the cartridge was designed for.

My factory 1956 270 featherweight, can do 1/2 MOA with reloads. Granted that's when I was shooting through a weaver K4 dot scope. So, that's a challenge there in itself.

It loves the 130 grain boat tail #1820 GameKing bullet
    My grandfather used 110 grains on coyotes, because he could get them to fly.. around 3300 fps. the 130 grainers were around 3100ish.

I love the 3-position safety on the Win.

It might make a difference for personal preference, but performance wise that extra 1.6" of barrel means absolutely nothing on game. The theoretical 50fps difference for that barrel length gets lost in the normal noise you'll see between individual rifles and manufacturers even with the same barrel length. I've had the 22.4" Tikka SL and the 24" Winchester Sporter in .270, loaded for both with lots of powders, and the barrel length was by far the least important difference between the two. Truth be told the performance of my .270 WSM Tikka Hunter was barely different enough from the Winnys to mention.

I'd go Tikka now because the aftermarket is way better, you don't really have to rely on Beretta's pathetic customer service when prefits and many of the other bits can be bought all over. The most interesting .270 to me these days would be a threaded ~18" fast twist to run some of the heavier .277 bullets out now suppressed. The Tikkas relatively short stock mag setup might be a hindrance there though.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Maybe he talked you out of one because Beretta is just the US importer for Tikka? I'm sure Beretta doesn't get much of a profit since it is a Tikka. Just a thought. Did he talk you in to a Beretta?

I haven't heard many bad things about Tikkas at all, besides the warranty work having to go through Beretta.
    Beretta group owns Tikka and Sako. Shouldn't make a difference profit wise. Could just be the biases of that phone person.

For all of you people whining about Beretta's customer service........YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT.

Go here: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/customer-service/find-a-service-center/ and pick a service center that deal with your particular firearm type. Notice that there only a very few specific guns that have to go back to Beretta itself and they are all oddball or discontinued ones.

When I bought my Beretta 686 Sporting from Cole Gunsmithing that is the first thing they told me: send it to us if you need something, do not send it to Beretta. If it needs to go there, we'll deal with it.

Reactions: Baron23
    I'm open to any and all deals. I just like the look of the Tikka.

Make it a Model 70 Featherweight. The Sporter (with the 24" barrel) is discontinued unless you want to pay for the fancy wood of a Super Grade.

Make it a Model 70 Featherweight. The Sporter (with the 24" barrel) is discontinued unless you want to pay for the fancy wood of a Super Grade.
    tough choices on super grade, walnut or maple
    OIP.ZUqj0pXzin3paFgBHJc3wgHaEL

maple below
    OIP.HsaJl8HcMzC06f40mF6H4gHaEl

large-048702006012.jpg

I have a Tikka T3Lite in 270Win, it is a hammer. It kicks like a 30legged ninja, but is very very accurate and easily my favorite stalking gun. As said before, if there were a problem, I'd probably resolve it myself. I bought it more than 10 years ago and it has been perfect for me - so much so that I have bought another 5+ Tikkas (and built several custom guns on Tikka actions.) The first few I bought, I took to a smith and asked if they needed truing - too long in the R700 game - and he said he had never had one that did. They are strong, smooth, and very well made. And barrels are usually exceedingly accurate for production guns.

If it comes down to wooden stock (hunter) vs T3Lite, I'd do hunter. The barrel and action are superb; the plastic stock is the biggest piece of shit imaginable, unless you got one of those Remington green POS stocks from several years ago that looked and felt like a fisher price toy.

And yes, aftermarket now is quite accommodating for Tikka.

Have a personal sample size of 3, they shoot well. Have experience with close friends tikkas, sample size 15, one didn’t shoot. Tikka made it right but that was pre-Covid BS and it took awhile… The nice thing about tikkas is the aftermarket support is strong.

That said, a classic American hunting rifle in 270, a pre ‘64 is hard to beat for a pure hunting rifle.

Reactions: BullGear