• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka feed ramp, long 223 rounds

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I bought a Tikka with a Bartlein, in a Manners, CDI bottom metal, MDT mags. The throat seems to be cut for 75/80gr stuff loaded around 2.55. Perfect for the MDT. My problem is the Tikka feed ramp seems a touch steep. It feeds well enough but the longest rounds I load tend to want to go meplat first into the feed ramp and they don't wan't to start going up the ramp. With a little extra force they go but the bullets have a scratch on the bottom if I eject a chambered round. I have been slowly taking passes with a dremel on the MDT's feed lips. Made some progress but the feed ramp itself seems a bit steep for the super long rounds I'm trying. I have to get used to single loading this gun. Have to get the bullets in the entrance to the chamber unlike my 308 that you can just lay the round on top of the mag and it will feed no problem.

Can the a good smith do something about the ramp angle? What is the best way to go about feeding super long 223 rounds? Like longer than 2.55"?
If I load stuff just shy of 2.55 it feeds pretty much fine. I have no accuracy issues. The gun is a laser beam.

I just bought some 88 ELDs to mess with because they were so cheap. This is when I ran into this problem, loading rounds out long.

I may just have to settle with loading around 2.54ish, the 88s would do better further out. I know they aren't really meant to be a 223 bullet. I may have to build a super long throat 223 one day for 88s/90s.

Thoughts/experience/ideas?

Can you bend the feed lips a little on the mags so the round sits up a little higher?
I had to do that with my mags for my Tikka Tac A1.

Can you bend the feed lips a little on the mags so the round sits up a little higher?
I had to do that with my mags for my Tikka Tac A1.
It is a polymer mag so I just have to remove tiny bits of material. I'm still working on that very carefully. Well see if that will be enough.