• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka HB 223 and ELDMs

aprocast

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Has anyone had much success with either 75, 80 or 88 ELDMs in a HB Tikka 223
Any info would be appreciated thanks

I asked a similar question a while back in another thread, Tikka Varmint 8 twist. I had pretty good results with 77gr Nosler CCs but 75 and 80gr ELDMs were very dissapointing. Lots of folks have reported very good results with them though.

75s and 80s have been great for me. Shooting 75s out of a 20.5" at 2805fps and 80s at 2704fps. 80s are actually more accurate for me. Could probably get more from the 75s but once I get to around .5moa I don't bother chasing tenths.

Didn't try the 88s, even if they made round holes in the target I think theyd be less efficient in BC and because they'd eat up too much case capacity to get decent velocity.

Oddly, while some claim wild success with 75 ELDM’s in the Tikka, some say (right here in the Tikka thread in Bolt Action Rifles) that they can’t get them to shoot because Hornady actually recommends a 1:7” twist for that bullet.

I thought that was BS, it states a 1:8 on Hornady’s website, BUT, it says 1:7 ON THE BOX!

No personal experience with the Tikka and 75 ELDM’s. Just what I’ve read here. I do know my 1:8” AR won’t shoot them (75’s) worth a flip single fed. A buddie’s 1:8” Ruger Ranch will only group around 1.5” with them (usually a very accurate rifle with 55’s).

My 1:7” .22BR shoots them like a laser.

Good luck!

HB is heavy barrel?

I’m having great success with a stainless T3 Varmint with Benchmark and 75 gr ELDM. 2935 fps and .6 or so MOA.

Kilt a buck with it this year at 475 yards.

P

Reactions: jLorenzo
Oddly, while some claim wild success with 75 ELDM’s in the Tikka, some say (right here in the Tikka thread in Bolt Action Rifles) that they can’t get them to shoot because Hornady actually recommends a 1:7” twist for that bullet.

I thought that was BS, it states a 1:8 on Hornady’s website, BUT, it says 1:7 ON THE BOX!

No personal experience with the Tikka and 75 ELDM’s. Just what I’ve read here. I do know my 1:8” AR won’t shoot them (75’s) worth a flip single fed. A buddie’s 1:8” Ruger Ranch will only group around 1.5” with them (usually a very accurate rifle with 55’s).

My 1:7” .22BR shoots them like a laser.

Good luck!
I did not have good luck with 75 eldm. It seemed like every group it would spit a round or two wide. I went back to the 77smk and back to bug hole groups. This was with Tikka varmint barrel cut to 18inches.

Yes I have shot 200 rounds of 75 eldms out of my tikka 1:8 HB and couldn’t get them to shoot small avg .8 groups. 80gr vld Berger did just as bad for me.

In the lands out the lands different powder and primer. I just wasted components. I did have success with 50 gr BK, 73 bergers and 77 smk. Never went heavier as the 73 and 77 would shoot best at the slower speeds easy .5 if that is your goal.

24.5 of Varget seems to be a sweet spot loaded to 2.418”
IMG_3385.jpeg

Very similar for me. 24.5g Varget at 2.44oal. Done well out to 1k.

I've had good luck with my 24" Tikka Varmint barrel 223 and the 80gr ELDM. Been using N140 with it. Never tried the 88gr though.

Reactions: Dolomite
I’m a huge fan of my Tikka CTR 223 but the short throat makes it difficult to load anything heavier than the 69 SMK without impeding on case capacity.

Entertaining the idea of having the throat extended a bit since I have a pile of 77 TMKs I’d like to use up.

There is no need to do that, TMKs are designed to be loaded to AR magazine length, load 23.7 of 8208, plenty of room

Reactions: waspocrew
I’m a huge fan of my Tikka CTR 223 but the short throat makes it difficult to load anything heavier than the 69 SMK without impeding on case capacity.

Entertaining the idea of having the throat extended a bit since I have a pile of 77 TMKs I’d like to use up.
I shoot them at AR mag length in my Tikka T3X Varmint with no problem with accuracy . Only tested to 300 yards, but see no reason they will fall off beyond that .

Reactions: waspocrew
I shoot them at AR mag length in my Tikka T3X Varmint with no problem with accuracy . Only tested to 300 yards, but see no reason they will fall off beyond that .

What’s your barrel length and velocity?

HB is heavy barrel?

I’m having great success with a stainless T3 Varmint with Benchmark and 75 gr ELDM. 2935 fps and .6 or so MOA.

Kilt a buck with it this year at 475 yards.

P
Whats your charge of Benchmark? I ja e never tried it with anything that heavy.