• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka in a xlr chassis

ofl0926

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2018
Homestead, FL
Question for everyone
I want to purchase an xlr element chassis for my 300wsm tikka action with HCA carbon barrel. The barrel was throated to shoot the Berger 215s. Currently shooting 205 Berger elite at 2.914 in length. With the potential of shooting longer bullets, should I get a long action chassis or short action?
I know tikka action is controlled by the bolt stop. XLR has their chassis set to long or short action only.
All input welcome. Thank you

Need to seat the bullet you intend to use at jam and see what it tells you.
Can’t imagine a 2.9 oal cartridge wouldn’t fit well in a tikka long magazine.

Get the long action and seat the bullets longer if possible so you aren't stuffing them deep. My 7 SAUM is almost 3.2 OAL with 180 ELDm's

The XLR runs AICS Mags. Here is a comparison on extra length you get on an AICS mag over the standard Tikka Long action mag.

This is a standard 3.715 AICS Mag. it should allow for 3.5+ OAL and I think I measured my tikka at just under 3.2 OAL.

66898400599__21B1033B-07BC-4FB4-9A3C-C296C544FA37.jpg

Tikka long action AICS mags from MDT are 3.56 to match the tikka "long" action.

Tikka long action AICS mags from MDT are 3.56 to match the tikka "long" action.
I wonder why they built it that way, maybe feed issues. There are a good bit of bottom metals out now for tikkas that allow the 3.715 AICS mags. I just ordered one from atlasworxs for mine to go in an AG composite stock.

I wonder why they built it that way, maybe feed issues. There are a good bit of bottom metals out now for tikkas that allow the 3.715 AICS mags. I just ordered one from atlasworxs for mine to go in an AG composite stock.
can you even feed a 3.7" coal round in a tikka?

Because the action is shorter than a true long action. The mags fit that BM but you won't be able to feed bullets that long. MDT chassis magwell fit the 3.56 mags, I think the XLR's do too.