• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka in Mcmillan A3-5 picture

vno.helix

"comfort is the enemy of progress"
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
www.linkedin.com
photo1.jpg

My first rifle: Tikka T3 scout, CDI, AI, SWFA, Mcmillan A3-5 drop in. I put this together after approx 5 years of reading the forums. Never having shot a rifle ever before, the journey of getting here and learning all that is involved has been extremely satisfying. I would like to use this opportunity to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge on the forums and allowing a newbie like myself to learn through your experiences.

Building the rifle was more exiting then shooting it. In fact, shooting it is just plain boring. I need more then a 100 yards range.....too bad I live in Maryland.

Re: Tikka in Mcmillan A3-5 picture

" What made you pick the A3"

It is actually the adjustable A3-5. It is a variation of the A-3 stock but with the addition of an A-5 type butt hook. Just from reading, it seemed the lowest profile stock with all the features. Wait time was 8 weeks, quality and finish seem top level. Well worth the money.

I kept the scope as cheap as possible without losing too much glass quality and will upgrade soon to a better build and finished German product. (turrets are slightly misaligned and the side focus is a B@!ch to turn, as well is the zoom). I have no patience for lack of detail and quality and don't mind paying for it. Just wanted something to get her going first to see if I like this new hobby.

Also the AI mags needed some tuning for proper function. Nothing a dremel and a file/hammer can't handle.

The action is nice and smooth as advertised and the trigger is great. Not to light, yet light enough and very crisp. Better then my "Bear", and my "Bear" is awesome.

Like I mentioned before. I am new to all this, didn't really know anyone that had equipment that I could try and this is my first exposure to it. Now, a whopping 150 rounds later and having met some experienced shooters and tried some of their equipment, the only thing I would really do different is the scope. Get a good one of the bet. Saves the trouble of having to sell it and upgrade later.

I've been thinking about getting a McMillan A3-5 for my Tikka Varmint. Did they inlet the bottom so that you could use the bottom hardware from the original rifle?

Thanks for posting the picture!

Todd

"Did they inlet the bottom so that you could use the bottom hardware from the original rifle? "

You specify how you want it when you order. They have both Tikka and CDI in their shop and can set it up either way. I did have to sent the cheekpiece back to them and they had to modify it a little. When elevated it interfered with the rear portion of the bold resulting in not feeding a new round. The milled a vertical groove it it. Now it works perfect. I will try to post an updated closeup here soon.

That is One SWEEEEEEET Looking Tikka Scout Bro!!! I've got 2 of those in a .308 (Mine) and a .223 (GF's). Both Shoots Like a Custom would! I'm keeping the GF's Rifle clean and simple with the factory stock. But my .308 will be going into a KRG W3 Stock coming in sometime next week. I'm very Excited about finishing up mine too!

It's interesting though, about the SWFA HD Scope. Every Review and Feedback I've read or heard raved about that scope. But it doesn't seem like you're impressed at all. Which scope are you planning on replacing it with?

Also, I've got a quick question about your Tikka. I've got about 100 Rounds through my Tikka Scout and the finish on the Bolt is already starting to show some ware. I was wondering if yours does the same? The action feels very smooth so I don't know what could be causing the finish to ware off so quickly. I don't know if this is common with most Tikkas. Your input greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot and congrats on a Awesome Rifle Bro!

HOGTOOTH5R,

The finish came off really fast. Pretty bad. I bought my rifle from Larry from excorioprecisionarms. I called him and asked him what the deal was wondering if it was just mine. He told me it is pretty common for Tikka. He refinished it for me for free. Great service. He also installed the break for me. I forgot the brand name. I wanted a Holland break but they kept sending him the wrong size so he picked another one for me. The break was a pretty big deal for me since I have a shoulder injury and was really worried about it. It works really well. The rifle kicks less then a 223 without a break.

The scope:
Side focus is very hard to move and so is the power ring. The knob for the illuminated reticle feels loose and wobbly. Turrets markings don't align just as the one described in the following tread (attached link for picture):

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2731810

Over all, not a bad scope. Glass is clear and bright and she does what she is supposed to do and does it very well. In other words: At 100 yards, with a little effort, I can shoot one round through the hole of the previous round, and I can't shoot rifles for sh@t. That says a lot about the performance of the scope. And all that for only $1500.
I contacted SWFA. They issued me an return nr but had no new ones in stock at the time. This was last year and then life got very busy. It is not till now that I finally have found some time to spare and I will have to start researching what my options are and what I want. I am sure I can get it replaced but at this point I rather look for something else. Steiner just came out with a mid range priced scope and I am waiting for some reviews. S&B seems a good option to me as well but is at the top of the price range. S&B also makes a fixed 10x42 for around 2K and as it stands right now, I would prefer that over the SWFA.

It is hard to decide what you want if all you have is someone else's opinion. Every one is different and we all have our expectations. In an ideal world one could walk into a store and try any of them out and not buy until we have had a chance to form our own opinion based upon our own experience. I don't have that luxury, maybe you do? The forums have helped me make some very good choices thanks to the people here sharing their knowledge. More specific, The Tikka 308, the stock, the mags, the bottom metal, just not the scope. In the end it is all relative. I am in no way trying to bash this particular scope. It just doesn't meet my standard. I hope this helps.

From what I understand the early 5-20s had a spline issue that caused the turrets to not line up. Mine is only a few months old and its perfect.

As for the stiff parallax knob that is my one major complaint with this scope. A quick $5 fix: Get a ROAD bike tire tube and cut it into a strip like a rubber band. Wrap it around the parallax knob and enjoy. Makes a huge difference.

Also, really nice rifle there, OP.

Interesting. Mine was one of the first delivered. Maybe it suffered from "rushing to get them out the door" syndrome. To bad...Will call SWFA on Monday and see what they advise..

Here is the info on the turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Turret issue with the SSHD was corrected, they had a bad run where the manufacturer supplied a turret cap with less splines then it required, so people found it was "off" depending on the zero. They corrected this by making sure all of them after had the correct number of splines in there, and not all of them that shipped were that way. It's a current non-issue and like Jason I have never missed a .1 for any reason on mine. he happened to have one from the early buy that was off, not an updated one, so he is comparing an early one vs a corrected one.

</div></div>

To OP: vno.helix

Thanks so much for the Long and Detailed Reply. For what it's worth I feel a bit better about the Bolt ware on my Tikkas Now (Yes Both of them had the same ware problems). I just hope this won't effect the Accuracy and Reliability of the rifle in the Long Run. So far I haven't heard and read anywhere that the Tikka had any Accuracy and Reliability Issues due to Bolt Malfunction (Finger Crossed).

Regarding the Scope:

This was first time I heard about this on the SWFA SS HD scope. I was originally going to buy one of those too. However being in Texas (Same State as SWFA), means I have to pay a State Tax on this scope so I decided to just buy and different scope instead.

Have you looked in to Bushnell HDMRs with the GAP G2 Reticles? I've got 2 of those and their Amazing and Very User friendly for the Price Range. The only things missing are Zero Stop and Illuminated Retecles (If you Need or Have to Have those options). For me, the Locking Turrents work just fine on the Bushnell and I really don't see myself Needing the Illuminated Ret since I'm not a LE or Mil and I only shoot during day time. So I went ahead and ordered the Bushnell HDMR and Couldn't be any Happier with it!!! Scott at Liberty Optics Hooked me up too with a Awesome Price at the time (I think he's got the Best Dealst on these). I've listed a couple of links below for you, maybe if you're interested you can look into this one. This scope has been taking the industry by storm and many Competition Pros and LE/Mil personels are using it as well. It's proven very reliable and Fast! Just my suggestion.

Links:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3258206&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...728#Post3434728

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4B2_RFmfcws

Very nice, but 100 yards for this!!!!! Almost like paying a prostitue to have someone to talk to. You will never know if this rifle was worth the time and money until you stretch its legs a little.