• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka long action caliber stock/chassis

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
Would like to build a 300 win mag off the Tikka action. Plan was to use a krg bravo but they don’t seem to have one for long action calibers. What are you guys doing for a stock?

The MDT Tikka LA chassis uses their proprietary LA mags designed for the Tikka.

CDI and Tikka Performance make a LA bottom metal for AICS. CDI requires inletting. Tikka Performance requires the trigger housing to he modified but the dbm is drop in.

Both have OAL restrictions unless the action is modified.

Tikka Performance has a good video explaining the issues with the Tikka LA loading issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: HowiePb82
Not to pee in your Cheerios, but something to consider, re: T3 actions is that you're really going to be limited in regard to COAL. Not much of a problem at SAAMI max length, but if you're wanting to run something like the Berger 230s, you're going to find yourself SERIOUSLY impinging on case capacity in order to get the projectile seated where it'll still feed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the T3 action for anything in the .223-class on up to the 6.5x55-class, but for traditional long action cartridges, they really are pretty limiting.

Why not a 300wsm? Less powder, similar performance to the 300wm with 200-215gr pills, no belt, and it'll fit in your tikka.

Last edited:
I have a 300 win mag Tikka I built for hunting I’m using a 200 grain eldx with great accuracy I have a load for it that is going 2850fps. It’s set at factory mag length. It has a 26” barrel.

Reactions: Novaboy66
When I built my magnum rifle off of a Tikka, I went with a 300 WSM, spun the barrel off and put a carbon barrel in 7 WSM on it. Put the longer bolt stop in and put the whole thing in a MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 long action. I am nearly 3.200" COAL on my 7 WSM loads. And still have plenty of room to spare in the MDT long action mags made for the TIkka. Even the factory 2.860" COAL 162 ELDX feed just fine in the setup.

Here is my 175 ELDX loaded to nearly 3.200" COAL on the left and factory 162 ELDX on the right both in MDT 3.5" mags for their Tikka LA chassis:
5ABD04B9-7853-4101-80D7-521792D61954.jpeg

FPJvp7A.jpg

There is the rifle:
zR5Lh03.jpg
4C67645B-415D-4D0D-BA7D-4164131E31E4.jpeg

I will be building a 21" carbon barrel 300 WSM this winter and putting it in a carbon stock and using Tikka OEM long action "bottom metal" with the Mountain Tactical billet mag so I can run 212 ELDX out as long as I want for it.

Here is the Mountain Tactical with the same 7 WSM rounds (3.200 COAL roughly) in them:
1tfAGUg.jpg
CF887220-4BE6-49D2-AF18-7435B4BBFBD7.jpeg

0XaNEx9.jpg

For me anything LA on the Tikka platform (270, 30-06, 7 Mag and 300 WM) is a non starter just cause of mag box limits. Yeah you can get some that will get ya out to 3.5" and such but even that isnt' allow one to take full advantage of the cartridge and long skinny bullets. It may shoot great there and have seen lots of Tikka shoot great at mag box length and such...but I just like the option to go longer if possible even if it means giving up a bit of case capacity going WSM of WM.

Last edited:
^^^^ Is it just me or are the pics not coming through? I’m incredibly interested in a project like this

Hey everyone. I know this thread is a little old, but I stumbled upon it while trying to resolve an issue. I have a Tikka T3 Superlite in .300 Win Mag and I've been trying to drop it into a chassis. I was going with the Boyd's At-One Stock, but my first one was RMA'd because the mag wouldn't fit, and I'm still having the same issue. Not sure what the problem is, but looking to return that and try something else.

Right now the lead contender is the Oryx chassis but I'm not a huge fan of having to buy the custom $80 MDT mags. Might be the most affordable option though. The MDT ESS is a little more than I want to spend. Does anybody have good suggestions for <$600?

@alaskalanche @408w @Jrb572

For a stock? I bought my McMillan at Christmas time. It was super cheap I think it was $400. It’s an A3-1 carbon fiber and is wrapped in cammo.

Reactions: rifle plinker
Hey everyone. I know this thread is a little old, but I stumbled upon it while trying to resolve an issue. I have a Tikka T3 Superlite in .300 Win Mag and I've been trying to drop it into a chassis. I was going with the Boyd's At-One Stock, but my first one was RMA'd because the mag wouldn't fit, and I'm still having the same issue. Not sure what the problem is, but looking to return that and try something else.

Right now the lead contender is the Oryx chassis but I'm not a huge fan of having to buy the custom $80 MDT mags. Might be the most affordable option though. The MDT ESS is a little more than I want to spend. Does anybody have good suggestions for <$600?

I went the Oryx route on a 280AI build. Went directly through Oryx and they did offer me a veterans discount.