• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka or other cheap 30-06 and 300 win mag LR rifles?

petrol

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Im looking at possibly getting a rifle for each of these calibers. I want a 30-06 just for the fact that my father passed on many tens of thousands of rounds of AP surplus and m1 garand surplus ammunition along with RCBS dies, a bullet puller, and other reloading supplies for this round. A ruger American in 30-06 seems like a cheap way to get into shooting some 30-06 or maybe even a tikka t3 lite in 30-06? which would be a more accurate shooter? I have seen clamp on brakes for the tikka which would be a great way to lessen the recoil and allow me to shoot for a longer period of time.

Also would a Tikka in 300 win maga make a good budget LR rifle or should I look at something with a longer 26"+ barrel that might allow me to get a 240gr bullet up to 2800 fps? I would want a brake on this as well... should I look into threading vs clamp on? will it diminish accuracy?

might want to research more into tikka's in heavier calibers. something to do with recoil lug.

Ruger has an M77 Hawkeye Magnum Hunter that looks interesting:

videos:
http://rugergolf.com/videos/m77HawkeyeMagnumHunter/videoPlayer

47128.jpg

I have a tikka in -06 it is a nice rifle, 22" bbl 1:11 twist. As for the recoil lug, the stock one is aluminum and it is a floating lug so they do develop an indentation. I have not seen a problem with accuracy but I just upgraded to a stainless steel one anyway. There are a few vendors (like KRG) who make them for $22 Welcome to KRG.

I have two Tikkas and loading for them is easy, there is less concern about accuracy as they shoot pretty much anything. You can develop for velocity and downrange energy.

I just did a 300WM build using a Savage 111. Dropped it in a Manners T4A stock (Stocky's Stocks had ready to ship). Only have sighters down b/c was so damn cold and windy this week, but liking it. I thought with the pencil barrel with the WM would be a real bruser, but luckly I'm a 14.5" pull and just put a Limbsaver slip-on on the back of the Manners and it is as soft as my .308. I went with the 111 b/c of the included detachable box magazine, but it was broke on arrival (being replaced by Savage now). It also has the Accu-Trigger which I actually like. Nice 3.5lb break set. Reminds me of a two stage trigger = good. I lucked out finding a Manners ready to ship that was configured to fit the DBM Savage, and I'll probably swap out the factory for some CDI when they get back in stock. That being said, the Stevens 300WM (or even 30-06) make great build platforms.. I've done 3-4 of those. Heck you can buy 2 Stevens for about $600. Then swap the barrels at home if you want to upgrade down the line.

tikka has a change barrel option through roedale if you want a more modular design as well.

For the .06 have you thought about a pawn shop 700? You can usually find those in 30-06 for less than $400 depending on the part of country you live in. Put a Timney trigger in it and you're gtg. I've found 2 700 BDLs in 06" in the last year not even looking hard for less than $350 both of which where almost new. And both had cheap Bushnell scopes.