• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka prefit contour?

SB545

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
I'm looking to pick up a McGowan prefit but having some trouble selecting a contour. For now i plan to run the factory stock, 20" bbl, bore @.277 and thread for a suppressor. I'm away from my rifle currently so I can't measure but I wouldn't mind having a little more meat for threading. I'd like to get 5/8x24 but not sure I can get there and still have a shoulder without bushing up or leaving a flare at the end to thread into.

What contours are people running that are the same as factory and what are people sizing up to for proper threading?

I guess part of the question is will a #4 McGowan size up close to .725 at the muzzle when cut to 20"? It looks like it's .650 @28".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-163334.png
    Screenshot_20211126-163334.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 40
I just received the McGowen replacement barrel for my MPA 300-WM rifle that's nearing end-of-life. I measured the existing one and ordered the contour that matched it ... which was #8. If you know what's there and what you want, the tools and tables on the McGowen web site will definitely help you pick the right thing. If questions, call them. They're very responsive. Expect about 12-weeks of lead time. Haven't mounted mine yet, but it looks beautiful.

Reactions: SB545
I just received the McGowen replacement barrel for my MPA 300-WM rifle that's nearing end-of-life. I measured the existing one and ordered the contour that matched it ... which was #8. If you know what's there and what you want, the tools and tables on the McGowen web site will definitely help you pick the right thing. If questions, call them. They're very responsive. Expect about 12-weeks of lead time. Haven't mounted mine yet, but it looks beautiful.
Wait time isn't a problem. I won't be shooting until spring anyway. All my hunts are done for the year and I'll need winter to load more rounds anyhow.

I tried calling McGowan earlier and left them an email. Hopefully they get back to me before their sale ends. I'm tempted to just put an order in and call them Monday to get it done right. I'm guessing they won't be starting on it anytime soon.

We got it figured out. Dan at McGowan is going to take care of me with a custom contour similar to the factory Tikka lite with a bit of a flare at the end, similar to the Barrett Fieldcraft. That should leave enough shoulder and meat for threading.

Thanks for the reply, Rusty