• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka question

hill billy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Is there any reason I can't rebarrel a Tikka and add a real recoil lug at the same time? Would there be any way (or need) to pin it? I have a 308 and it's such a great shoot and the action is so nice and smooth that I'd like to rebarrel in 243.

Re: Tikka question

Just because a recoil lug is its own part doesn't necessarily mean its better at what it does. Look at the Winchesters, Howa's and the like. They are all built into the action, and have worked great for years.

Have you seen the recoil lugs on a Tikka? They are a thin piece of soft aluminum that barely seat in a recess in the action. If I'm going to rebarrel, may as well stick in a new lug.

Yes, you can add a Remington-style recoil lug when you get a new barrel. No need to pin it. I did the same thing on a Sako build (I believe it is the same bullshit style recoil lug as Tikka). I also had the front of my receiver milled back about 0.100" to eliminate the radiused corners. It is simply cosmetic, but it makes the Remington-style recoil lug look much better next to the action.

You will have to recess the stock for the new lug, as it will be farther forward than your existing lug.

Original (see the small radius at the front of the receiver?)
Picture0032-1.jpg

Rebarreled (no radius, and new-style lug)
Picture005-1.jpg

flyboy - I can't speak for the Tikka, but Sako uses a cheesy dovetail in the bottom of the action that mates with a small metal bar that protrudes from the stock.

Picture010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you seen the recoil lugs on a Tikka? They are a thin piece of soft aluminum that barely seat in a recess in the action. If I'm going to rebarrel, may as well stick in a new lug. </div></div>

Hillbilly,

When I rebarreled my Tikka 300WM, I had the receiver faced and a Tubbs recoil lug installed. This rifle shoots night and day compared to when I first purchased it. I used to have problems like odd flyers, POI changes, etc. Now it is rock solid.

Old picture, but you get the idea:

IMG_6232email.jpg

I'd recommend that anyone with a Tikka from .270 up pillar/skim bed and consider doing something to improve the recoil lug issue.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
flyboy - I can't speak for the Tikka, but Sako uses a cheesy dovetail in the bottom of the action that mates with a small metal bar that protrudes from the stock.

Picture010.jpg
</div></div>

Glock24, thank you, that is exactly what I needed. As for the Tikka, it's exactly the same as the Sako.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hillbilly,

When I rebarreled my Tikka 300WM, I had the receiver faced and a Tubbs recoil lug installed. This rifle shoots night and day compared to when I first purchased it. I used to have problems like odd flyers, POI changes, etc. Now it is rock solid.

Old picture, but you get the idea:

IMG_6232email.jpg

I'd recommend that anyone with a Tikka from .270 up pillar/skim bed and consider doing something to improve the recoil lug issue.

John </div></div>

My Tikka shoots very well, it's just time to move on from .308. That's a great looking rifle, I hope you got rid of that factory stock.

Good to see all, thanks very much.

I own a TRG-22 and have not had the problems one might encounter with a synthetic stock and their recoil lug. Having a full length bedding block on the TRG takes care of any issues. I have looked at getting a T3 for a varmint/hunting rifle. What would be really slick would be machining a bedding block for the action and dropping it in the stock like the Manners T5A.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you got rid of that factory stock.

Good to see all, thanks very much. </div></div>

IMG_7012mod.jpg

IMG_0188mod.jpg

Like I said... old pic.
grin.gif

John

Nice John. I have a T4 on mine now but am switching to a T5A within 5 weeks or so. Can't wait to get this thing wrapped up.

I originally had the T4 also, but I prefer the angled buttstock on the T2 allowing for elevation changes with a rear bag by sliding it fore/aft.

John

Oh, BTW, post pics when you get that T5A. Like to see a Tikka in one of those.

John