• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Question

Bailey22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2019
I have narrowed down my next rifle to either t3x ember 300 win or super varmint 300 win. I prefer a heavy barrel I usually cut weight in the stock and scope setup as this will be a hunting rifle. I know some will say get a spotter barrel but I just prefer a heavy barrel. Anyway, the ember is listed with a medium heavy barrel. Does anyone know the actual contour or how it compares to the super varmint. I’m leaning towards the super due to barrel, stainless cerakoted and comes with pic rail already. But I do like the ember but I’m not sure about the barrel. Thanks for the help.

It doesn't make sense to me to cut weight in the stock and optic, and leave the barrel heavy, in a hunting gun. The Lite barrel is a great profile for hunting and thick enough to take to the range and shoot groups. Especiall with off-hand shots it's nice to not have a really front heavy rifle.

My T3x CTR w/ 20" barrel w/ 19oz scope in the factory stock is a full pound heavier than my T3x with a 22" carbon Sendero barrel w/ 28oz scope in a Manners EH1 with the Mini Chassis. That CTR barrel, which is a 'mid profile', is dang heavy, and it's only 20".

If the Ember has a CTR style profile it is essentially a Light Palma. It's workable but it doesn't make any sense to me why you'd intentionally choose that barrel over a lighter one when the gun is destined for hunting, and then lock yourself into a narrow range of optics options, when you could get a lighter barrel and open up a ton of better/cheaper optics.

Reactions: YotaEer
I have narrowed down my next rifle to either t3x ember 300 win or super varmint 300 win. I prefer a heavy barrel I usually cut weight in the stock and scope setup as this will be a hunting rifle. I know some will say get a spotter barrel but I just prefer a heavy barrel. Anyway, the ember is listed with a medium heavy barrel. Does anyone know the actual contour or how it compares to the super varmint. I’m leaning towards the super due to barrel, stainless cerakoted and comes with pic rail already. But I do like the ember but I’m not sure about the barrel. Thanks for the help.
Look to see if there is a WSM in new 22in x 18mm profile fluted barrel.

Def. do some more howework on Tikka actions/COAL/Magazines etc before making a 300 win mag purchase. The WinMag really needs like 3.6 COAL capacity, and Tikka only gives you like 3.40. The WSM has a 2.95 spec COAL so there is an extra 0.45 inches of COAL capacity to use with heavier/high BC projectiles.

That CTR barrel [20mm], which is a 'mid profile', is dang heavy, and it's only 20".

As for the barrel options, forget about stalking with a Varmit profile [22mm].

Just my $0.02c

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense to me to cut weight in the stock and optic, and leave the barrel heavy, in a hunting gun. The Lite barrel is a great profile for hunting and thick enough to take to the range and shoot groups. Especiall with off-hand shots it's nice to not have a really front heavy rifle.

My T3x CTR w/ 20" barrel w/ 19oz scope in the factory stock is a full pound heavier than my T3x with a 22" carbon Sendero barrel w/ 28oz scope in a Manners EH1 with the Mini Chassis. That CTR barrel, which is a 'mid profile', is dang heavy, and it's only 20".

If the Ember has a CTR style profile it is essentially a Light Palma. It's workable but it doesn't make any sense to me why you'd intentionally choose that barrel over a lighter one when the gun is destined for hunting, and then lock yourself into a narrow range of optics options, when you could get a lighter barrel and open up a ton of better/cheaper optics.
Thank you! I’m probably going to get the ember. I guess I did not know about the coal with the 300 win. I plan on putting it in an mdt chassis. I primarily use my dd5 308 for deer but want something to take out west and tech out with is mainly why I want the 300 win and I have a ton of ammo for it. A buddy recommend the same rifle in 6.5 prc. Would any of you recommend the prc over the 300 win?

I personally hunt with tikkas in 6.5 creedmoor and 7mm PRC. I love both. 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 PRC with Hornady ELD-M’s is a great killer of any western game. 7mm PRC gives more legs if you’re legitimately able to take, and expecting to get, cross canyon shots, which we do end up getting pretty often. Most shots are still pretty close in and in that case a 6.5 creedmoor/PRC is a great gun. If you’re just shooting factory ammo and don’t mind the recoil then a 300winmag in a Tikka is just fine, but if you handload you won’t like how short the action and magazines are with that cartridge. 6.5 or 7 PRC are great in Tikka actions. So is 6.5 creedmoor. You can get either of the 6.5’s in factory configuration.

I wouldn’t spend extra money on special Tikka variants. The factory stock with a few cheap improvements is great for hunting, or just throw the action in a nice stock.

I would get the cheapest t3x you can find if you are going to tinker with it.
You probably will. I said I was gonna leave mine stock but after seeing how well it shot in factory form I couldn't help myself.

If you don't reload look at factory ammo availability in your local stores. You aren't gonna go wrong with a 6.5cm, 30-06, 270, 243, 308. I'd stick with the short mags if you decide you need the extra velocity. The prc rounds I have no experience with but again look at local availability. They all kill stuff fine.

Thank you! I’m probably going to get the ember. I guess I did not know about the coal with the 300 win. I plan on putting it in an mdt chassis. I primarily use my dd5 308 for deer but want something to take out west and tech out with is mainly why I want the 300 win and I have a ton of ammo for it. A buddy recommend the same rifle in 6.5 prc. Would any of you recommend the prc over the 300 win?

I would 100% buy the ember in 6.5 PRC over a 300WM. I’d also buy a 6.5 Creedmoor over a 6.5 PRC. It will kill any North American game out to 500-600 yards.

what barrel did you put on yours
I grabbed a Proof 22” for my 7PRC, and have a factory CTR barrel on the 6.5 CM. If I could, I would prefer pencil profile 7PRC barrel, but the Proof was available on the shelf.

Reactions: tacoman69
I grabbed a Proof 22” for my 7PRC, and have a factory CTR barrel on the 6.5 CM. If I could, I would prefer pencil profile 7PRC barrel, but the Proof was available on the shelf.
Thanks, that's kind of what I'm thinking once I rebarrel my 7mag, some sort of steel pencil or sporter type contour. No brainier though to pick up the proof though

It doesn't sound like you want a hunting rifle. Which is fine, as 300wm has enough recoil to be damn uncomfortable. If you actually wanted light weight you'd be dropping weight in the barrel and stock. A mdt chassis isn't light, so you're building a 10+ lb gun.

The 6.5prc works well. You have plenty of mag length that way. Hornady has reasonable priced ammo.

I got my oldest a T3x light in 6.5 Creed. Put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. Vx3 4.5-14 in Backcountry ring mounts. Not the lightest, but it's down there.
It's light enough it's uncomfortable to shoot after 10-15 rounds.

It's a joy to carry through the mountain all day.

I also put a LimbSaver AirTech on my UPR 308 - I use LimbSavers on everything I can ... I myself thought the Pachmayr Decelerator I got on a stock once wasn't all that impressive whatsoever, but LimbSaver makes a huge difference to me... especially on shotguns. A LimbSaver on a 12ga takes away all the pain and makes it just a push rather than a pain. Makes a big difference on a rifle also.

Reactions: tacoman69