• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka rebarrel to a 6br??? Magazine???

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I have my wheels turning for a medium weight tactical rifle build. I want to go with a Manners t3 stock and either a Howa or Tikka action. I want to do a 6br. If i go with the tikka will i be able to use the tikka Magazines on the Manners stock and will the 6BR feed from the tikka magazine? If this is going to be to much trouble I will just go with a Howa action. Any advise? Lee

Re: Tikka rebarrel to a 6br??? Magazine???

When i was researching for my 6BR build i was told that swapping to the Tikka 22-250 mag worked well feeding 6BR, in fact one of the better ones out there.

I actually ended up using a Sako 75 action and will be mag feeding it using a 6PPC mag. This will realistically limit me to mag feeding 70gr to 87gr for varmint based on COAL and single feeding my intended 105gr Scenar target load.

Obvioulsy no such issues with the 22-250 mag length!

I hope this helps narrow your search.

TC

Go with the Howa 1500, and get Pete at Roedale Precision to build it.

Roedale Precision

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=4947

Howa_Manners08.jpg

If you want to mag feed this cartridge, there are easy and difficult options.
If you choose the sako, it has a magazine that feeds from either side, and that makes feeding difficult and not 100% reliable.
If you pick the howa, it can be converted to take a floorplate that accepts an aics magazine. These feed centrally, and are double stacked. You can use any length bullets you need, and it feeds 100% reliably.
You also need a sako extractor to make the gun eject cleanly.
I built a 6mmbr repeater on a surgeon action, it has a 10 round aics mag system, and i fitted the sako extractor, because the remmy one would not throw them clear. Its in the wrong position on the bolt face. Mine is 100% reliable, no matter how fast or slow its cycled, and i use a 90 grain scenar in it.

davesrifle004.jpg

davesrifle002.jpg

Baldie thats a sweet looking rig! Very impressive.