• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T1x Bolt Hold Open

Alienta

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2021
Utah
I’m wondering if there is anyway to keep the bolt from closing after the last round. I hate inadvertently dry firing my 22lr.

Do not mind dry-firing it at all. Just learn to count your shots. It is not going to break that easy, I think those days are gone.

Although you could make a higher mag follower that stops the bolt, it really is silly. You will get used to bolt guns/AKs.

Do not mind dry-firing it at all. Just learn to count your shots. It is not going to break that easy, I think those days are gone.

Although you could make a higher mag follower that stops the bolt, it really is silly. You will get used to bolt guns/AKs.
Thanks. I have a Ruger in 6.5 cm which prevents the bolt from closing and was surprised that my new tikka functioned different, especially being a rimfire.

Guess I live under a rock because I've never heard of a bolt action having LRBHO. I'm sure you could have a different follower made that would stop the bolt, although you would probably have to sacrifice a round at least of capacity.

The only bolt guns I have ever messed with that had a last round hold open were old military rifles. About the only way to accomplish that would be to do the same thing they did, have the follower stick up into the action and have a vertical face. For what its worth, i wouldnt worry about dry firing it once in a while. My Tikka has been dryfired quite a few times between tuning the trigger and accidentally running out of rounds during a match. It has not taken any damage at all.

I dry fired my Tikka a bunch. I also broke my firing pin. Not sure if related but I stopped when I got my new assembly

Several of us modified the followers on our V-22 mags to allow them to move far enough upward to prevent the bolt from being closed on an empty mag. Supposedly, Mike Bush designed the V-22 bolt to stand up well to being dry-fired, and kept the firing pin short enough to prevent peening the edge of the chamber when dry-fired. But those of us who started out with CMP 40X rifles modified to use V-22 magazines didn't want to be dry-firing those actions, which is why we did the mag mods. Never seen a Tikka T1x in person, so can't comment on whether the mags can be modded as we did to our V-22 mags, but it's a thought...

Several of us modified the followers on our V-22 mags to allow them to move far enough upward to prevent the bolt from being closed on an empty mag. Supposedly, Mike Bush designed the V-22 bolt to stand up well to being dry-fired, and kept the firing pin short enough to prevent peening the edge of the chamber when dry-fired. But those of us who started out with CMP 40X rifles modified to use V-22 magazines didn't want to be dry-firing those actions, which is why we did the mag mods. Never seen a Tikka T1x in person, so can't comment on whether the mags can be modded as we did to our V-22 mags, but it's a thought...
Thanks. Someday I’ll probably graduate to a voodoo

I dry fired my Tikka a bunch. I also broke my firing pin. Not sure if related but I stopped when I got my new assembly
My T1x broke it's firing pin too. I heard they had a batch that gave a few issues, could've been a lie to hide a bigger issue though I guess.