• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka t1x cleaning

_newshooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2022
Texas
Hi all,
Might be a stupid question but does anyone have luck cleaning their Tikka T1x. Mind sharing the process and tips for cleaning the gun. Cleaning a gun is pretty simple and straight forward I’d assume. Trying to follow the cleaning process by vudoo.

However is it just me or is the chamber for the Tikka pretty tight? First time cleaning the gun and I don’t want to ruin the chamber or anything.

I’m using a dewy .20cal rod because some 22 rods can be a tight fit. I am using 22cal tips tho. Just pretty tight so not sure if I should force things in or apply pressure.

Videos on YouTube seem to glide in quite easily. Any help would be great

Reactions: MK20
Use a smaller patch. That is probably the hang up. If using a brush, make sure it is a 22 brush and then go for it.

Don't overclean rifles though.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Tikka'a are CIP standard so the chamber is shorter and bore tighter than SAAMI sporter specs.
I agree that your patch is too large or thick if it feels overly tight, especially if noticeable right in the chamber.

FWIW, I use an older Dewey coated .22 rod with a Sinclair .22 jag that measures 0.164" in diameter. The patches are round and 1.1" but are a very thin tight weave (bought a ton of them from Dillon ages ago, do not know who made them for them).

Thanks for the replies! Got to it. Maybe I was a bit scared. But I did cut some patches down and it worked better

I did see a T1X 16” at a local gun store here in GA for $579 and the CZ457 $679

B4C8E986-B50A-448F-890D-5D75FE86D22D.jpeg

Possum Hollow and Bore Tech make a T1X specific bore giude. I have the one made by Bore Tech it does a good job.

I own a T1X and have had it about 18 month now. 22lr rifles require you must use the correct sized cleaning rods and attachments as well as the correct sized cleaning patches.
For example you CAN NOT use cleaning rods, bore brushes and patch jags sized for for your 223 on your 22lr. As a 22lr is actually .222" vs 223" for say an AR.
I own a T1X, B14Rs, Marlin LA 22 and a half dozen more assorted semiauto 22lr rifles. You absolutely must use the correct sized patch jags, bore brushes and cleaning patches. Here are links to the two I use and highly recommend:

In my experience if you are using the CORRECT sized patch jag of .20caliber you can not use a cleaning patch any larger than 1-1/4" to clean a 22lr barrel and not get it almost immediately stuck as you push it into the chamber. Also again in my experience of cleaning 22lr rifles from Bergara, Tikka, Savage, H&K, GSG and Marlin you can not use a patch jag any larger than .20 caliber to push a patch through the bore it will either will not go or worse get stuck.
Here is a link to the pierce point patch jag type I use and works very well.

I also have the same type of pierce point patch jag from Pro Shot as well.

Lastly if at all humanly possible always use a quality bore guide when cleaning any rifle but IMO it's an absolute must have when cleaning a 22lr bolt gun. No here is the problem with 22lr bolt guns. You must use a bore guide that is built specifically to that rifles chamber and is unique to that model/type rifle. For example the bore guides for my T1X and B14Rs ARE NOT interchangeable. I recommend getting either a Possum Hallow bore guide from Amazon or a Bore Tech from Bore tech.
Most other centerfire bolt rifles are a one size fits most when it comes to bore guides, 22lr bolt guns ARE NOT.

If you have any other questions about cleaning your rimfire or centerfire rifles by all means just ask be glad to advise.

Evidently the links I am trying to post are having a detritus affect on my reply. will try to fix it

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray shooter
Try these links
Never mind these arent working either. must be something about posting links here I am unaware of that is preventing me form doing so.
mazon.com/gp/product/

So I advise you go to Amazon do a search for 20 caliber patch jags and then search for "Sky line 1-1/4" round 22 caliber cleaning patches or you can also search at Amazon for "Butches 1-1/8" triple Twill cleaning patches" That should get you started in the right direction.
Just make sure what ever patch jags or cleaning brushes you buy have the same threads per inch as your cleaning rod.

Last edited:
I cheat.

I use the Bore Tech guide; the Bore Tech Proof Positive .22LR rod (Orange handle); the Bore Tech 22 cal RF jag; the Bore Tech 1" square patches; Bore Tech small chamber mop; bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover; and follow the procedures that VGW specified for my Vudoo.

Looks like I'm a Bore Tech fan boy for cleaning my rimfires.

I've been using vfg pellets for most of my rifles including rimfire with bore tech product with great results