• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tikka T1X scope?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
  • What is the platform for the scope?
    • Tikka T1X bolt action
  • What cartridge are you shooting?
    • 22lr
  • What is your intended use for the scope?
    • Paper punching and light target work and pest elimination
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
    • Daylight mainly but, evenings and nights under artificial light are likely as well
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
    • 25~50 yards mainly but, 200 yards on sunny days is also likely
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like?
    • I don't want something massive and super heavy
  • What is the price range you can afford?
    • I really need to stay under $500 with something in the $200 range being better.
I'm using a 22LR T1X and at some point hope to get the 17HMR version and convert it to a 22WMR. I am looking for something to shoot squirrels, rodents, possums, etc. at modest distances. Possums all happen at night under artificial light. Squirrels, Rabbits, etc. are during the day. General rodent issues seem to be most likely at dusk and night. I need to be able to put a dog down with a precise shot so, enough magnification and clarity to pick the right spot is important (the main reason I also want a 22WMR). Value-oriented scope ring recommendation to match the scope are welcomed as well.

TIA,
Sid

That PST would be fine, but 6x is a really high bottom end for a rimfire. I have been running a Bushnell AR 223 3-9x40 scope on my 10/22 and I actually am pretty happy with it. Adjustments are not 100% accurate, but they're pretty good. Optical clarity is good considering the $99 price tag. Adjustable parallax has been easy to set. I've got some pretty impressive groups at 50 yards with it. But a $99 scope for a top-end rimfire isn't really what I would go with.
The Athlon Midas BTR 3-15 is on sale right now for $389. That would be a strong contender for me.

Bushnell Nitro 5-20x44 works nicely on a T1x.

Attachments

• 34873C33-BB59-4AE6-930F-9CD5F2947F95.jpeg
    34873C33-BB59-4AE6-930F-9CD5F2947F95.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 437
  • C6EF2C93-1D98-4FFD-A19A-A7C9B0C5F9B8.jpeg
    C6EF2C93-1D98-4FFD-A19A-A7C9B0C5F9B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 668
The Athlon Midas BTR 3-15 is on sale right now for $389. That would be a strong contender for me.

Any experience with the Athlon Optics Helos BTR 6-24x50 - APMR FFP IR MIL? I'm a little partial to mid-dots though the Midas BTR MOA looks pretty good too. The Midas BDC settings are a bit of mystery so, I wonder if they would work reasonably with a 22lr or a 22wmr.

BDC settings are a bit of mystery so, I wonder if they would work reasonably with a 22lr or a 22wmr.

I would avoid anything with a BDC reticle as they are tailored to one specific projectile at one specific speed under one specific set of environmental conditions.

A mil or MOA reticle will serve you much better once you learn how to use it correctly and will also have the ability to work with different rifles/cartridges if needed.

I would avoid anything with a BDC reticle as they are tailored to one specific projectile at one specific speed under one specific set of environmental conditions.

At a $200 price point wouldnt the options be limited? I say BDC is OK if you are getting the best glass. 22LR ammo is a fairly confined set of load characteristics to make a BDC usable, no?

At a $200 price point wouldnt the options be limited? I say BDC is OK if you are getting the best glass. 22LR ammo is a fairly confined set of load characteristics to make a BDC usable, no?

No, non BDC options <$200 aren’t limited.

No, BDC is not “OK” regardless of glass quality (please explain which <$200 scope has this magical glass?).

No, even 22lr has heavy subsonic, target subsonic, supersonic and hyper velocity. All with different projectile weights and different drop/drift numbers.

No, BDC is not “OK” regardless of glass quality (please explain which <$200 scope has this magical glass?).

No, even 22lr has heavy subsonic, target subsonic, supersonic and hyper velocity. All with different projectile weights and different drop/drift numbers.

I'd rather a scope with good glass and a BDC reticle than one with all the bells and whistles but rubbish glass and questionable tracking.

I used a 3-9 Burris Fullfield 2 II on my 22lr with great effect, using both subs and supers. It was a far better option than other dialable scopes I could afford at the time.

Admittedly there is far better low priced options on the market today but you still can't get all the features of a $1000 scope for $200 and not sacrifice glass quality or reliability.

Disagree on BDC. The weights and speeds of the most used 22LR ammo going 25 to 100 yards do not change the holds that significantly. Forget the fact it takes about a minute to make the calculation on many free ballistics calculators when you do change ammo.

Perhaps you might recommend one of those non BDC options that is <$200

Glass on the Bushnell Nitro is representative of the MSRP price point, certainly not the selling price point.

I can promise you won’t be disappointed in the glass.

I run a PST Gen II 3-15. Got it used for about 550 iirc.

Athlon Midas Tac has been a great option for me personally. I know the SFP version has also been mentioned. Great glass , turrets and reticle on it.