• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T1x Tuner

NotMOA

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2022
Vermont
I have been shooting a Tikka T1x since the beginning of July. I tested 5 different lots of Eley Tenex and a couple of different lots of Eley Match. I found a particular lot of Tenex that shot pretty good. Out of 10, 5 round groups I have shot at 100 yards I averaged .75 inches. Only two of those groups have exceeded an inch and not by much. At 50 yards the last 6x5 I did averaged .364 inches. The best 5 shot group in that 6x5 was .287 inches and all of those groups were below .5 inches. I am pretty satisfied with those numbers.

However, I started shooting the IBS 50 Yard rimfire target in August. The internet says that the IBS target is too easy and everyone shoots 250's all the time. The IBS target has a .5 inch 10 ring. Given my 50 yard group sizes I should be able to score a 250 easily but I can't. With Tenex, I have shot as high as 248 with 6 X's but my average is 241 over 7 targets. I shoot off a bipod with a rear bag and a 36 power sightron scope. I am using the original stock and my Tikka has the 20 inch barrel. I generally don't shoot when it is windy but I just ordered some wind flags to help me out. I also ordered a few different lot numbers of Tenex to see if I can get something better than what I have.

I feel like I am shooting better than the gun at this point. Not that I don't make mistakes because I do and I sometimes find myself being inconsistent with how I hold the rifle but I feel like 250 is within my capabilities. I also know that some of my bad shots are not going where the scope is pointing when the trigger breaks.

So with all that being said, will a tuner make my Tikka more accurate or should I say more precise? A Vudoo is in my future and I told myself I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the Tikka before I moved on to something "better" but will spending a couple of hundred dollars on a tuner give me a boost or am I asking too much of a $500 rifle? If I should get a tuner which one?

A tuner will make everything more precise as it can help normalize the velocity swings on ammo.

.75" inches on a 10x5 is pretty good at 100 yards.

If you're chasing tiny groups in a benchrest setting, then yes it's very gear dependent. Expensive one piece rests, wind reading, ultra light triggers, and really good ammo.

Williwaw, that made me laugh. Regardless, group sizes indicate that the rifle and ammo should be capable of hitting 250. Fault probably lies with the guy pulling the trigger but I haven't been able to figure it out - yet.

Williwaw, that made me laugh. Regardless, group sizes indicate that the rifle and ammo should be capable of hitting 250. Fault probably lies with the guy pulling the trigger but I haven't been able to figure it out - yet.
Glad that you had a laugh ... I never know if my humor will be well received.

I started out with a unmodded Tikka, Vortex 4-16, Harris bipod and small rear squeeze bag. Three years later I have a Vudoo in a Foundation stock with a B&A competition trigger, a NF 15-55, Remple bipod, and a massive rear bag of my own design. My Tikka is a shooter but it is not a Vudoo, there is no comparison to be made in the stocks or the triggers. I was amazed how much nicer a ski type bipod is versus the Harris. I don't do a lot better with the Remple but it is way easier to manipulate and that lets me play the wind game more effectively.

Which brings me to the wind game. I shoot 50 yards off my belly and I often have light/manageable winds. In the last week I was tuning/testing a new lot of ammo and shot 400-(24x-34x) four times on three consecutive days in excellent outdoor conditions. Then a day with tricky winds and I'm 392-19x. Then an average wind day and its 399-31x and 398-30x. I have equipment quite capable of being competitive(F Class-Smallbore) and my gun handling is good enough to not be the problem most off the time. Wind reading is where its at for me now. I shoot with six flags. They are home made with an investment of fifty bucks and two hours. Those flags provide the highest return on investment of anything in my kit.

Good luck, if it was easy it wouldn't hold our interest.

Reactions: littlepod