• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T1x

Chadwhit

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2019
WV
Setup: 20 inch stock barrel, MDT LSS-RF chassis, actions screws torqued 30 in-lbs, Scope: Sightron Bigsky, YoDave trigger spring, DIP rail, Limbsaver dampener on barrel end
IMG_20191114_151456.jpg

IMG_20191114_152609.jpg

Most groups will be shot from front rest/rear bag sitting but will throw some bipod/prone in as well.

Today's best: Wolf Target match, 5 shot groups, 50 yds
Conditions: Overcast 31°F, 2-3mph gusts
Average speed: 1060 fps, with ES of 47fps, no foulers between groups
IMG_20191113_175201__01__01__01.jpg

Groups 1-3 shot back to back. Only break in between was to reload the dip mag. Followed by a 10 minute break to rewarm before shooting groups 4,5,6. The cold had me shaking like a dog shitting choker chain.
Best explanation for groups 4+5 -time allowed for barrel to cool in cold weather + the buildup of 100+ rounds already sent down range made them open back up.

Extra: shot 10 rounds of Wolf prior to 6 groups shown. This ammo was the 3rd through the gun. First was a box of SK rifle match followed by box of SK flatnose basic. Both of those bullets put together decent groups but not as consistent as Wolf + frequent flyers.

Last edited:
Very nice groups but are you sure your measurements are correct? What is the distance between the lines on the target paper?

Reactions: Chadwhit
Very nice groups but are you sure your measurements are correct? What is the distance between the lines on the target paper?

Yes, squares are 1" the pic has a 6x zoom applied. Here's an entire target. Printed on standard 8.5x11 inch card. They are a true 1" wide but only 15/16" length due to crop factor for printing.
IMG_20191114_130023.jpg

I know you will call me sick in the head but do you measure your groups from center to center or from edges? Because most of those look a little off.

Like the .200" group. Isn't it usually necessary to have two bullet holes colliding in order to have smaller group than the diameter of the bullet?

Can you try software like range buddy like below attached?

I test ran some groups and it shows like this.

I feel stupid for nitpicking about small things, with the original groups being that good, but I wish to clear this off.

Attachments

• 20191114_221828.jpg
    20191114_221828.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 77
Those look great. I prefer to do 10 round groups to show me what's really going on. Also, I've seen great groups at 25 and 50 only to go out to 100 and the groups really begin to open up.

Reactions: Chadwhit
I know you will call me sick in the head but do you measure your groups from center to center or from edges? Because most of those look a little off.

Like the .200" group. Isn't it usually necessary to have two bullet holes colliding in order to have smaller group than the diameter of the bullet?

I feel stupid for nitpicking about small things, with the original groups being that good, but I wish to clear this off.

I think he's using 100 yards for the MOA measurement when he needs to double it if it's only 50 yards?

Outside to outside - .224
IMG_20191114_184737.jpg

I get .46 MOA calculated at 100 yards and using .22 for bullet diameter.

Edit: MOA at 100 yards is slightly larger than 1" hence the slightly lower number than measured.

(y)
I came up with .464 MOA when dividing group size by .5235

@littlepod You and your click bate tempting me. Trying my best NOT to take the plunge:LOL:. That's damn good shooting. Keep tinking. It's fun to follow along.

The stock Tikka barrel is not a slouch at all. It shot SK Pistol King/Center-X at .9" @ 100 yards, and it did Eley Tenex at .75"

So far all 4 different lots of Rifle Match have done bad in both my new IBI Barrel, and my factory Tikka T1X, and also does really badly in my friend's RPRR. I guess luck of the draw.

You should give Pistol Match Special a try, it's working well in quite a few of my rifles and my friend's.

For your Limbsaver dampener, have you tried moving it up and down to see how it affects your groups? You should be able to play with it to basically balance the harmonics / whip of the barrel. I was going to get one, but then I got my bull barrel which is a bit heavier and sturdier so I didn't bother messing with the dampener anymore.

Last edited: