• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 .223 for my son

hank440

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2009
Gambrills. MD
Hi Guys

I want to get a Tikka T3 .223 for my son. He wants to learn to shoot over 100 yards. What I want to know is CDI makes a SA bottom metal for this gun so I just want to make sure that the AICS .223 mags will fit this before I buy everything ?

Thanks

Hank

Re: Tikka T3 .223 for my son

My Tikka 223 is at CDI now having the stock opened up a little. To answer your question, Yes.

thanks guys, now to try to get it all and done before Christmas
grin.gif

What problems are there with the stock detachable mags?

I have been thinking about picking one up, it looked like the mags could have the rear opened up for long bullets pretty easily.

If you use heavier grain bullets they are a tight fit in the magazine. I use 77 grain bullets and the Tikka six round mag will only feed three rounds in the mag. The AI mag internally is longer and will feed the heavier grain bullets which work well with the 1 in 8 twist barrel. The AI mag increases capacity and allows longer heavier grain bullets. Oh ya the flimsy plastic trigger guard is replaced with a quality metal one.

Unless something has changed with the polymer ai mags - it will not work out of the box. The mag lips are a bit too wide for the t3 action, so either the action or the mag lips will need some work such that the mag can sit up higher for the bolt to catch the rounds to feed.

-pd

I want to use the AICS mags so i can use 75 or 80gr Amax's loaded to 2.5" length