• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka t3 223 varmint question

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I just bought a used like new tikka t3 223 varmint. I cant find out what twist the barrel has? Anyone here shooting one of these? I would like to shoot 75gr a-max. Will these even fit in the magazine? Any info about this rifle would be great! Thanks Lee

Re: Tikka t3 223 varmint question

They have an 8 and 12 twist I think. The 24" bbl has the 12 twist, but I could be wrong.

Skeetlee
It should be 1:8". I have one also. There should be a #8 on the barrel somewhere. You will love that gun for its smooth action and accuracy. My only pick with that stick is the stock could be better. But there is a cheek piece that one can purchase to add to that.

i had one in 22-250 but it bounced to much to see the hits. i am hoping this will not be a problem with the 223. i am trying to get some ideas as to what to use to fill the but stock for some recoil absorption. lee

I have the .223 and can see hits fine through my scope. It is an awesome rifle, you will love it. Oh and I believe the Varmint .223 only comes in 1/8.

The twist rate should be stamped on the barrel, the T3's that sell in New Zealand do and I think they come via the states.

TikkaT3SuperVarmint2.jpg

The early ones had a 1/12" twist and the newer ones have 1/8" twist.

GC

I have a early Sako 75 .223 that doesn't say the twist on it. It is 1-12 as I have checked. My newer Sako 75 Greywolf says "Cal. 223 8" " I would guess if it don't say it is a 1-12 twist. Best way is to just look. The faster twist is easy to spot compared to a 1-12 twist.

Even the Tikka site says there are two twists available: http://tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Varmint.pdf

I guess have an assortment of ammo available with various bullet weights with you on your next range trip (52gr., 69gr., 77gr., and 80gr.) and see how they shoot. If your barrel is 8 twist it should shoot the 77gr. and above accurately. I know this is not the most scientific way of determining the twist, but at least if you see keyhole impacts on your targets with the heavier grained bullets you can say it is 12 twist, or really, really funky wind gusts...
laugh.gif

When in doubt, I take a cleaning rod with a jag and tight patch and insert it partially in to the bore. I place a mark where the rod meets the back end of the receiver. I then put a piece of tape around the back end of the cleaning rod and mark it horizontally on the top with a line. I push the rod slowly through the barrel until the mark makes one rotation back to the top. Then place a mark where the rod now meets the back of receiver. Pull rod out and measure between the 2 receiver marks. If it is 8", then it is a 1 in 8 twist.

Per Beretta all of the varmints have the 1:8, some of the t-3 lites have the 1:12. All future imports will have the 1:8 standard.