• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 .300 WSM Ballistic Tip Hunting Load

DieselWSM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
Spokane, WA
I started working with a Tikka T3 a few years ago and finally have it right where I want it. After playing with several powders and loads I finally settled on Federal Cases, CCI magnum primers, RE-17 @ 66.3 grains and the Nosler 180gr Ballistic Tip (BT), white tips, NOT the hunting ballistic tip. The Accubond substitutes well with the same BC but has a different length so is not 100% exact on the flight pattern. Bullet speed has been trued with a ballistic program and comes out to 3088 fps.

Tikka touts a 1 MOA guarantee out of the box. I am a firm believer that any manufacturer that markets their rifle with this guarantee can only be improved!! Below is a picture with 3 shots at 550 yards with the above mentioned load with BT bullets. Let me remind you that this is a hunting rifle, not a tactical match rifle and I would call that a 3" group on rough guesstimate. I mounted a limb saver recoil pad and for a scope I mounted a Leupold Mark III 4.5-14 with a CDS turret. A lot of hunters choose to SWAG shots and use hold overs for distance shots. I shoot in tactical matches and prefer to dial my dope. Now to the best part...

After my 2nd year of putting in for an Oregon Bighorn Sheep tag I was drawn. Naturally a million questions and doubts started going through my mind...like which bullet will be best, the BT v. Accubond. What is the maximum range I am comfortable with taking a shot? etc. I went with the BT because that is the bullet I worked most with. To keep the story short, it was the most amazing hunt I have ever been on. I ranged the sheep at 505 yds and dialed the elevation on my turret. If hold over would have been applied, this would have been a 40" hold over (8 MOA dope call). With a once in a lifetime hunt, why guess with anything? I took the shot on the sheep and below is a picture of the results. I am sorry for the graphic post but pictures paint a better image than words. The picture is what is left of the heart at 505 yards. The lower portion was actually separated by the bullet. Again, this is not posted to be intentionally crude or offend people. I wanted to show the results of what the BT bullet can do on a given size animal.

So...if you have any doubts about the BT...stop doubting!!!

Attachments

• 20130824_084637.jpg
    20130824_084637.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20130903_093823.jpg
    20130903_093823.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20130903_091933.jpg
    20130903_091933.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I don't know about WA, but drawing and bagging a ram is a once in a lifetime deal in OR. Nice!
[edit] now that I've actually read your post rather than just look at the pictures (I still write with crayons), how can a picture of an exit wound in a ram be offensive on a sniper board?
Seems to me you hang out with a sensitive bunch. LOL
More power to you and your photos!

Last edited:
Beautiful ram and a great shot!

This is the "moment of truth" that most people hope to be prepared for. You were prepared. :cool:

Thanks all! This ram was taken down near Lakeview, OR (I am from Oregon just working up here in WA). I dont know why the pic is upside down...tried to fix but wont. P7, very true about the comment on the graphic pic. Figured while some people may be here for tactical shooting, others may be offended by hunting animals. I dont cater to politically correct b.s. but didnt want my thread deleted if it did indeed offend anybody.

Contacted Nosler about the difference/recommendation between BT and Accubond and Nosler (Mike) said that BT are great for thinner skinned animals (sheep, deer, antelope, etc) but NOT recommended for large game like Moose or Elk due to inability to penetrate.

Sure most people know that but I wasnt positive myself.

Considering that distance, I'd concur with Nosler. Don't try a close up shot on big game with that bullet at that speed. A slightly off shot due to a wind burst or something and you could have taken a leg off and lost the ram. I go for penetration on larger game myself.

Considering that distance, I'd concur with Nosler. Don't try a close up shot on big game with that bullet at that speed. A slightly off shot due to a wind burst or something and you could have taken a leg off and lost the ram. I go for penetration on larger game myself.

Losing an animal due to a poorly placed shot goes for any bullet, at any distance. Maybe I am mis-understanding your post but the only way I would try this bullet on a big game animal is up close, relying on energy alone to cause massive organ trauma regardless of the inability of the projectile to penetrate as compared to the accubond. The BT in this case on the "thin" skinned animal, at 505 yds, penetrated through the right shoulder, destroyed the heart, and exited the left shoulder. It has lots of penetration on something like a sheep or deer (as mentioned above) but with tougher game, at that distance, no, it would not likely have penetrated enough to go through both shoulders.