• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Action Prep Work

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
With a brand new unfired T3 would I want to shoot it some before I rebarrel it to 260 Rem or just have it rebarreled from the new rifle?
What prep work should be done to it if any? truing, lapping, blue printing etc
As its new and Tikka's are great shooters from the factory, I would think just slapping on a new barrel would be enough???

Re: Tikka T3 Action Prep Work

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I have shot my Tikka's stock and been very happy with their performance but I also don't compete. Both of the one I have stay well under MOA out to 600 yards plus.

I had minimal action work done to my Tikka 300WM when I had it rebarreled (the front of the reciever was turned back to the shoulder to accommodate a Rem. 700 style Tubbs recoil lug). Smith told me it was almost perfectly square to the bolt raceway and far better than every Rem. 700 he's done. He had to lightly touch the lugs to get full engagement. He said he was very impressed with the quality of machine work on the receiver (it was the first Tikka he'd worked on).

On a good day (read: when I'm on
grin.gif
) , it's not unusual to shoot .3-.5 moa on a consistent basis.

I've since spoken with Dennis Olsen, the gunsmith that puts barrels on actions for Dan Lilja, and he stated that action work on a Tikka was a waste of good money. Perhaps an overstatement. I'm sure to get it to shoot like a TacOps would require otherwise, but there's always a little more to be had for a lot more money...

John

I already have a T3 light in .308 and it shoots great. I am considering buying another one and having it built up a little bit. This rifle would be for long range target shooting and deer hunting. I'd like know how a gunsmith knows how much work an action needs.
I'd probably have GA Precision do the work.

Side note: If I used a McMillan A5 on a T3, would Badger M5 bottom metal work or would the CDI precision bottom metal need to be used?

My suggestion- Stop thinking and start shooting with the right bullet I can almost guarantee you will be impressed with it's out if the box accuracy.

I would leave that gun alone........ and shoot it the way it is....... for most people...T3`s are accurate way beyond shooters ability.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already have a T3 light in .308 and it shoots great. I am considering buying another one and having it built up a little bit. This rifle would be for long range target shooting and deer hunting. I'd like know how a gunsmith knows how much work an action needs.
I'd probably have GA Precision do the work.

Side note: If I used a McMillan A5 on a T3, would Badger M5 bottom metal work or would the CDI precision bottom metal need to be used?
</div></div>

The T3 actions are so well built that you could probably have someone chamber a good match barrel and screw it on and have a real shooter. Take a good look at that recoil lug too and consider your options in that area. Those two are the big "bang for buck" with this rifle. Consider talking to Mike Bush at BlackOps Precision or Chad Dixon at LongRifles. They both have experience with the Tikka.

John

I didn't care for the factory stock with its "3rd party recoil lug". Put my T3 in a Bell&Carson. The B&C's bedding block has the recoil lug machined into it. Better feeling and better looking than the factory plastic. Still shoots like a Tikka!

KMW Rifles is making a "block" that the T3 fits into, which is bedded into the Sentinel stock.

Looks like a good idea.. not sure when it will be finnished.