• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Aftermarket knob/shroud (Pic Heavy!)

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
Got my bolt handle, oversize knob and CNC shroud today from Hinterland Shooting Supplies in Australia. Let me start by saying I have ZERO connection with this company. They are in Australia and I am in South Carolina, so don't think I am trying to be a shill for them.

I ordered these through their ebay store (search Hinterland Shooting) so I wouldn't get hit with the foreign currency fees on my credit card. They also have a website:www.hss.net.au

When I ordered, I immediately got an email, I then got an email when they received payment then another when they shipped. Good communication with Fiona who is their contact person. She said 6 to 7 business days and it was right at 6 when I got them. Shipped in a padded envelope, a box would have been nice, but I figure these are pretty indestructable. Due to postal stuff, I had to go sign for registered mail since I missed the mailman delivery to my house.

Anyway, picture of the pieces in their plastic boxes with the orignal bolt with the "composite" shroud.

IMG_0294.jpg

Next, bolt disassembled with an allen wrench holding the pin assembly (they have a video on youtube on how to do the install).
IMG_0296.jpg

Next, assembled bolt with the new handle, knob and shroud. Entire install took about 10 minutes with watching the video.
IMG_0297.jpg

Picture of bolt in the rifle.
IMG_0305.jpg

Finally had to put up the picture with the tactical cat in it.
Don't mess with the cat.
IMG_0306.jpg

I highly recommend hss. Good experience all the way around.

Hope someone finds this useful,
madd0c

Re: Tikka T3 Aftermarket knob/shroud (Pic Heavy!)

Nice, thanks for the info. Nice stick BTW.

Looks good. I think I will buy a set for the 223 varmint I have. Already have a fortis handle for my 308. Now when are you ordering the new stock?

LOL,
kwild, I have a .223 T3 tactical at APA right now getting put into a Manners stock. Also getting the metric threads changed to a more standard thread pitch for a possible can.

I will see how that one does. This rifle shoots 1/2 MOA as is out of the box, I am afraid to mess with it too much, but a new stock and DBM sure would be nice.
smile.gif

madd0c

madd0c

I found your original post last week on the knobs and also ordered a set. I have to say you are dead on with your recommendation of Hinterland Shooting.

o2TNB.jpg

madd0c
What is the metric threads changed to a more standard thread pitch for a possible can?

Please explain!!!!!!!!
Who?
Where?
How much?
Thanks

That's sweet. How much? Website?

Cajun,
Sorry I just saw your post. I sent the .223 to APA (American Precision Arms) to have the work done. I am asking for the barrel to be rethreaded in 5/8x24 which is a more standard American threadpitch.

Not sure of the cost, because I am having them put it in a new stock, bed it, accuracy test it and possibly rebarrel it if it is still a 1 moa gun after the new stock and bedding. So I don't know exactly how much just the cutting and rethreading are. The website lists the cost for threading at $100 and a custom thread protector for $50.

Hope this helps,
madd0c

maddOC

Thanks for the info and pics - I'll be ordering a set from Hinterland shortly as Hinterlands replacements look fantastic.

Just waiting for my Manners stock to make its way over to the UK also. Can't wait to put it all togther...

Ed

Without wanting to knock anyones parts. And I certainly dont. When comparing the two, and i can because i have both here. our bolt shroud is a nicer shape, has a better machined finish and not as slack a fit.

We've also got 1 piece T3 bolt handles, the photo of the phosphated version still needs uploading into the webshop though.

http://www.webshop.roedale.de/popup_image.php?pID=400&imgID=0

Hinterlands parts are cheaper in price mind. Thats a factor that has to do with the cost of living, wages and overheads in different countries I guess.

As soon as Ive got the commercial sales sorted with lowlight, which should be this week, I was thinking about a group buy on Tikka parts,
what do you guys think?

Wouldn't it be far easier to thread a suppressor to M18x1 than re thread the barrel to 5/8x24 ?

I was down at the range yesterday with a guy from Caliber, one of the big gun magazines here in germany, he was testing the repeatability of the new ERA-TAC tactical scopemounts, I lent him a Tikka T3 tactical for the job. All I did to the rifle was adjust the trigger pull, fit one of our bolt handles and shroud, and screw it in a FDE coloured RCS stock.
The damn thing shot 1/2 MOA ton 2/3 MOA with a variety of loads, and that was with cheapo ammunition ( and we didnt have any quality match ammo at all because the delivery that shoudl arrived on friday didnt arrive (due to the football I guess)

When we fitted one of our Delta V suppressors it went from shooting 1/2 - 3/4 MOA down to one ragged repeatable hole.
These Tikka T3's never fail to impress me, for what they are, they are an absolute bargain, The rifle worked flawlessly, has a lovely bolt travel, a more than adequate trigger. and
when upgraded with a better stock and a couple of nice parts they are realy an excellent rifle.

I would rate a Tikka T3 in a decent stock right along side a Sako TRG any day of the week, and adding our RCS chassis makes it one hell of a performer.

I just wish that they would sell the barreled actions only, I could sell a shed load of T3 tacticals in our chassis, but buying the whole rifle and then binning the very expensive T3 tactical stock makes it an expensive route,

Great rifles for the money though,

regards Pete

Pete, still waiting for new RCS II pics !!!!
smile.gif

Hi Pete you might have a good product but i dont think this thread is the place to advertise. i dont have any alience with any of the companies mentioned.

sorry Bill.
its difficult to chip in impartialy, even when its meant to be impartial, and i just basicaly publicly answered the many questions i had on the subject rather than answer the pm's and emails.
If i though the opposite to what i wrote, i would have writen that too, can't knock the hinterland kit, its far better than the factory stuff.

Main focus of what i was trying to say is that the Tikka T3 is a damn good rifle for the money, with a minimum of parts it becomes an excellent rifle for the money, and is, in my opinion, along side the Howa 1500 one of the best factory bases for a semi custom rifle,
Even without a custom barrel, when dropped into a better stock, be it a manners, mcmillan, robertson or wild dog, or ours, the rifle is great,, i just have a personal preference for our chassis system when it comes to tactical configuration,

I think its great to see so many after market parts comming along for rifles other than a remmy 700, whoever is making them !

anyhow, i'm happy to butt out of this thread, didn't mean to tread on anyones toes,sorry if i did.
regards Pete

If Pete wants to send me a shroud I can do an impartial comparison
smile.gif

J/k but as for the SXT parts from Hinterland, I have not had any problems with about 500 more rounds down the tube. The shroud I have from Hinterland is tight with no slack.

I am sure Petes is a fine piece of machining also, and either would be miles better than the breakage prone plastic shroud that is standard on the Tikka.

I agree the Tikka is one heck of a bargain. The reason for rethreading the barrel to USA standard threads is I have 5/8x24 supressors that I can use on multiple guns. So instead of the 6 - 8 months waiting on a new supressor, I just had the barrel rethreaded.

And no worries about treading on anyone's toes. I don't have a relationship with Hinterlands other than buying the parts from them, and I also am glad there are more parts coming out for the T3.

madd0c

I see there is a bit of a difference and that I have 2 T3's (when and if I get a job) I will buy both...and put the cheaper one on my boys rifle...

As this post is, Aftermarket knob/shroud with no brand name in the topic heading, I thinks its open to all brands of shrouds and knobs. Are there others making them?

Pete
very interested in your chassis system and bolt shroud but ordered my Manners back before Xmas (yes I am patient...). I have two Tikka's so eventually I will get one of yours too as I have a lot of time for the AI style system but particulary like the look of the RCSII sides...

I agree the Tikka's are certainly worth a few aftermarket bells and whistles more so than most standard Rem 700 (and I have a few of those to compare!). I am just glad that a few custom manufacturers are starting to factor them in. The fact you're coming up against a bit of competition is certainly not a bad thing from the buyer's perspective. Lets hope the market can sustain everyone...

Jagged 77. i dont mind competition and i agree with you that its great that the lesser known rifles are getting parts,
savage, howa and tikka deserve some good after market parts,
Patience helps when ordering parts state side, i'll say no more on that though.,

Hinterland have got some interesting parts in thier line up, and thier prices are realy good, they seem also to be able to ship out of down under with little export restrictions too.
shame us europeans are burdened with export rules and regs.

I didnt mean to jump in and take over this thread,
I just get excited when some one mentions Howa or Tikka and get over enthusiastic. cracking rifles, both of them.

and yes, the plastic parts are the places that tikka save on cost, ive never seen a plastic shroud that didnt crack after some usage mind. and the mass produced plaggy stock leave a fair bit to be desired, like on most fatcory rifles though.

I realy wish that Tikka would supply barreled actions instead of whole rifles only, we had the sales rep for the tikka importer here this morning, treid working on him, but tikka just wont do it, the importer will sell us a couple of T3's without stocks so they have a couple spare, but when it come to 20x T3 tacticals they dont want that many plastic stocks stood about,
When we talked to the Tikka boss man at the IWA last year asking for actions or at least barreled actions, he said they had already sold all the rifles that they could produce in 2009, and it was only mid march,, so if we wanted rifles, we could join the queue, but barreled actions wouldnt be possible. The rifles must be damn popular eh,
rgds Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifles must be damn popular eh,
rgds Pete</div></div>
I think we've really only seen the tip of the iceberg, Pete. When I bought my first Tikka 5 years ago, I had to explain myself at length when friends asked what kind of rifle I had. Now, just about everyone I run into knows what a Tikka is.

Judging from the amount of "Tikka" posts i've seen on this board and others that number is growing exponentially. And when people begin to figure out that the Tikka action is stiffer, lighter and far more true than a Remington 700, straight out of the box, the interest will only become greater, especially among the precision rifle crowd.

Aftermarket parts availability is the icing on the cake that allows them to compete head to head and feature to feature.

Now, if somebody would just come out with a DBM for LA magnum!
grin.gif

John

<span style="font-style: italic">Now, if somebody would just come out with a DBM for LA magnum!</span>

be carefull what you wish for..

Ive got a T3 mag system here right now in alloy, that is realy very very nice that takes T3 factory mags so is suitable for all calibers in the T3, I'll post some pics up tommorow, I'm currently looking for magazines that will fit in the T3 but are made from metal not plastic, ( as folks seem to hate the T3 mags) and i think ive found some, most of the EU factory gun manufacturers use magazines made by 1 of 2 companies, and by trying sauer mags, verney caron mags and a few others, ive found mags to fit, they just need the mag latch notch adding on during manufacture.
I also have a system that uses the AICS LA mags thats about,, hmm, 3 -4 weeks from bieng ready to rock,.
so within a few weeks we should have a LA and SA caliber tactical system, and a hunting rifle system ready to go.
but damn, i hope i dont get jumped on for advertising again,
regards Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also have a system that uses the AICS LA mags thats about,, hmm, 3 -4 weeks from bieng ready to rock,. </div></div>

This is what I need Pete. My COAL is out to 3.665" so it's been single feed for a while. Now pray that I get some work so I can pay for it.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but damn, i hope i dont get jumped on for advertising again,
regards Pete </div></div>

As long as it's not a competitors thread I can't imagine it being a problem. I'm always grateful when mfgs. make me aware of new stuff.

John

you can see the shroud and bolt handle installed on this T3 Tactical
PIC_0314-1.jpg

and here is the replacement mag system i was on about that uses the T3 mags. steel mags should be available soon to do away with the plastic T3 standard mags,

PIC_0288.jpg

hope its ok to post these here.

rgds Pete

Looking good Pete,

Put me down for three T3 alloy bottom metel for use with standard mags (Plastic)

Cheers

Craig

Is there any other design or place where i can get the shroud? Let me know.
Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaT3Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any other design or place where i can get the shroud? Let me know.
Thanks. </div></div>

Hinterland is good to go. They ship internationally and their product is good. There is another thread where a guy from the UK made some, don't know if he's got any left and then there is Roedale. Good luck.

HSS

maddoc where did u get those bipod legs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaT3Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any other design or place where i can get the shroud? Let me know.
Thanks. </div></div>

I sent Hinterland an email last year about their products, and they gave me the phone number for a dealer in Florida. He had a bolt shroud in the mail to me that day.
I don't remember the name of the company, but I'm sure Hinterland will be glad to give you the info if you'll ask.
The fit and finish of the shroud is first class.

Gents,
We're carrying both the HSS and Alutek Shrouds, and we have the HSS bolt handles coming. The shrouds can be seen on our website and we'll get the bolt handles up when they get here. Thanks,
Justin

CDI Precision, yes the(DBM)bottom metal company, carries the oversized knobs and aluminum shrouds for the Tikkas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Indellicati</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maddoc where did u get those bipod legs? </div></div>

Interesting, I see someone dug up a year old thread of mine, kinda suprised me to see it on the first page.

The legs are phoenix tactical pod claws on a harris bipod.

Since this thread, I had the other Tikka T3 tactical in .223 worked over by APA with a manners stock, broughton barrel and CDI bottom metal. I put the hinterlands bolt handle and shroud on this one as well.

the .308 T3 tac above shoots lights out with zero modifications. routinely about 1/3 MOA. However, the .223 did NOT shoot lights out unless I accidently shot a light out when I missed the target. Seriously though it must have just BARLEY squeeked by the 1 moa guarantee, because even after extensive load w/u all I could get was 1 moa at best. After the above mods it now is a hammer.

I still absolutely LOVE the Tikka action, absolutely slick as greased snot.

madd0c