• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 AICS Magazine Options

Blackjack988

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Woodbridge, NJ
So now that I have my .223 Tikka T3 sitting pretty in a new Manners stock, I need to make the transition over to AICS magazines to work with the CDI bottom metal I have installed. I have a pair of the polymer AI branded magazines left over from my XLR chassis which I had modified to work with the Tikka action (trimmed down the feed lips). As it turns out, apparently the XLR is somewhat more forgiving than the CDI/Manners combo so I had to spend some time trimming the feed lips some more. While the magazines still work, I can't help but wonder if there is a better solution, especially considering the severe lack of polymer AI .223 magazines on the market at the moment.

I have read in a few places that one could modify a .308 AICS magazine to feed 223 and it should work and the feed lips would clear w/o any further modification. Before buying a couple of .308 AI magazines I noticed that Accurate-Mag makes a 10-round metal .223 magazine. It looks like it is based on the body of their .308 magazine. I understand that these magazines will work in a DBM that accepts AICS magazines. Long story short, does anyone know or have first hand experience with using the Accurate-Mag .223 magazine with a Tikka T3? Are any modifications needed?

Thanks!

Reactions: CaptNemo
I believe the better way is to mill out the mag port on the action itself. That way no more fussing with mags.

I have used the Accurate 223 mag in a standard AICS mag-well and the mag feeds poorly, the level of quality is (IMO) something one might expect from a DIY Forum project as opposed to something being sold at the widespread industry level. The AICS mags in 223 are smooth and repeatable and a much better solution.

Making them (AICS) work will require either receiver mods or mag mods. With the receiver mods necessary for this case I don't have any strength concerns and my approach would be to just make the receiver take the mag so that I only had to trim the receiver 1 time instead of fixing every single mag in my inventory. It also means that I can use any of the 223 AICS mags in my inventory instead of only specific ones. This is the same reason that I use the AICS single stack 308 mags across all of my DBM-fitted short action rifles. I have 8 or 10 mags and each rifle is outfitted with them but I don't need to stock 20 items of a $70 magazine to reasonably handle all of the needs.

I believe the better way is to mill out the mag port on the action itself. That way no more fussing with mags.

Understood. However I already have a pair of modified magazines from way back when and new plastic AICS 223 mags are nowhere to be found. I was looking to see if the Accurate mags work w/o modification to the receiver or feed lips but that may be a bit optimistic of me.

... I noticed that Accurate-Mag makes a 10-round metal .223 magazine. It looks like it is based on the body of their .308 magazine. I understand that these magazines will work in a DBM that accepts AICS magazines. Long story short, does anyone know or have first hand experience with using the Accurate-Mag .223 magazine with a Tikka T3? Are any modifications needed?

I have not tried the Accurate 223 mags with a Tikka, but FWIW, they work very nicely with a Rem 700. I also removed the polymer insert from a 10rd mag and cut the bottom (of the polymer) so that it would fit in an AICS 5rd mag (resulting in a 223 5rd mag). It too works beautifully. In other words, I consider them to be a quality item, but can't speak to the compatibility with a Tikka 223 (though I have successfully used AICS mags with a Tikka 260).

Last edited:
For the Tikka T3 in 223, we machine a small bevel on the bottom of the action, Open the mag well a little. this allows the mags to fit and get high enough to feed properly. This allow you to use any un-modded mag, if you need to borrow one or buy a new one, it goes right in and works right..easy breezy. We only recommend Genuine AI mags. for obvious reasons lol

Jeff

For the Tikka T3 in 223, we machine a small bevel on the bottom of the action, Open the mag well a little. this allows the mags to fit and get high enough to feed properly. This allow you to use any un-modded mag, if you need to borrow one or buy a new one, it goes right in and works right..easy breezy. We only recommend Genuine AI mags. for obvious reasons lol

Jeff

Thanks for the insight Jeff. The CDI bottom metal is working great! At the moment I have the two previously, modified magazines working so I think I will hold off on the milling, especially since this rifle is primarily a plinker and practice platform for reloading. Once the plastic AI mags are more available and I can actually grab a few I'll touch base with you in order to get that inlet done (I assume you offer it as a service).

On a similar note, I wonder if anything will change now that there is a new AICS chassis for the Tikka T3.