• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 bottom metal for long action calibers

trigger time

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2006
Anna, tx
Built to take long action AI and Alpha mags, and under $200. Who all would be interested? This would most likely result in another option for short action rounds as well.

Re: Tikka T3 bottom metal for long action calibers

I contacted cdi precision and they said they are working on a version for the t3 long action. check back with them

I also have heard it for about a year now. I have and run a cdi and have nothing but good things to say about Jeff, but this would be made by someone else that every one knows.

I have a 300WM that has been waiting for someone to come out with DBM for over 2 years. But I have a question. I have a .260 in a Tikka T3 action. I'm using CDI DBM and AICS mags. When the COAL gets over 2.925" the nose of the bullet catches below the feedramp and will not feed. How is a 3.65" long round going to feed unless the magazine is moved back, requiring the relocation and redesign of the mag release, thus making the mags non-standard?

John

The long action uses and different bolt stop allowing the bolt to come further back. Also it's the rear of the magazine that moves back, not the front. As for the fine details I'll leave that up to the designer, without a bit of time to sit down with both in front of me I wouldn't be able to go into more detail on all of it. I've screwed a few together had the same problem as every one else, with nothing available. So I brought it up in conversation and was told to ask about interest. As well as ya that would be no problem, let's do it. With the (let's) being 99% the man building it. I'm really just seeing what the interest is having the option available. Of course anyone that knows me will tell you I really like shooting and building the t3's. On a side note, you can notch the feed ramp like a surgeon or like some have done with the Remington's to alleviate the nose of your bullet hanging up.

This is something we'd like to see, but there's problems to work around. As you've probably seen, the Tikka magwell is so short that the <span style="text-decoration: underline">follower</span> of an AICS mag will hang up under the action.

On top of that, the back of the mag would need to sit directly against the trigger, which creates problems mounting a mag catch for a rear notch magazine.

None of those problems are insurmountable so we're excited to see what you come up with.

We've been waiting on a T3 specific magnum length magazine from an aftermarket company for awhile now, and if they get it going, it may just be a solution, albeit with less OAL than an AICS magnum magazine.
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The long action uses and different bolt stop allowing the bolt to come further back. Also it's the rear of the magazine that moves back, not the front. </div></div>

I'm painfully aware of this. The problem is there is nowhere for the magazine to move "back" in a Tikka action unless you ditch the standard mag release. As Massoud pointed out, you're either against the trigger or in it.

Not trying to be a naysayer here, just been promised by at least four different manufacturers over the last two years that this would be done and I haven't seen a viable drawing, let alone a proto. Send me one and we'll get to testing.

John

I've been in the same boat as far as wanting the option of running a better long action. Again, just trying to see what the interest would be in having it done. Dave Kiff would be the master mind in making it work. I was hoping for a little more response in people wanting it done, so it would be worth his time to do it. Being the fan that I am of the tikka as a platform for building precision rifles, I would just like to see it happen. He asked me to get a feel for how much interest there would be in doing it. I have no doubt if I could be made to work he could get it done, if not then I'll stick with the short mags and short action rounds. If at the worst we end up with one more option for short action BM it's still a win for guys that want to run a tikka.

There are a lot of Tikka fans here... it's sometimes a little difficult to get them out of the woodwork.

Try posting you question here also:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323704

I'm very interested... but need something reliable and not "one off". I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that if I wanted a magazine fed LA magnum, I was going to have to go to a custom action.

John

I have been in contact with the Swedish manufacturer www.Alutek.eu and they will release a long action solution for Tikka T3.

I would buy one immediately, The Magazine and other plastic parts are the only negatives I have with my Tikka, The magazine functions perfectly but it is just the long term durability issue that concerns me. I just hope I don't have to wait for years to find one.

Kelly

I will be ready to throw chips soon for trigger time . He is going to help me on this project. I am finishing some Howa trigger gaurds on the machine I am going to use for the T3 parts. Thanks Dave

Any updates on AI magazine compatible bottom metal for T3 long actions. I would like to get a T3 in .300 Win Mag. I plan on putting an A5 stock on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates on AI magazine compatible bottom metal for T3 long actions. I would like to get a T3 in .300 Win Mag. I plan on putting an A5 stock on it. </div></div>

CDI starting making Tikka Long Action bottom metal in Septemeber that uses AI mags.

Check out their website: http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

I would be very interested also. Tikka t3 270W.

BTT for this one - any update or did it die on the table due to lack of interest?