• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 bottom metal

Ladsnipe

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2021
USA
Has anybody replaced their Tikka T3 bottom metal with the bottom metal that accepts AICS mags? I want to replace my bottom metal, but don't know which company provides the best quality bottom metal. The last thing I want is to have to do a ton of fitting or have issues with magazines. If any of you guys have any input, I would love to hear it. Thanks.....I'm looking for long action bottom metal by the way (30-06).

You should also look into Red Snake tactical. I used their bottom metal on a 7mm rem mag build.

I would guess a bit of tweaking may be necessary with whatever system you end up with. You may need to adjust the feed lips on your magazine, which is not difficult at all. The one modification I had to do that I was not expecting was notching the feed ramp on the tikka. With the longer mags, if the bullets slide forward they can get hung up under the ramp. I think I paid a local guy $30-40 to notch it with a mill. I polished it up with a dremel. If you were careful, I think plenty of guys around here have probably notched it themselves with just a Dremel and skipped the mill altogether.

Reactions: Ladsnipe
FYI, you’ll need to machine down the front of the trigger housing to get the AICS mags to latch. It can be done relatively easily with a dremel and very easy with a mill. If you want to run greater than 3.560”, you’ll need to cut the feed ramp

Last edited:
FYI, you’ll need to machine down the front of the trigger housing to get the AICS mags to latch. It can be done relatively easily with a deemed and very easy with a mill. If you want to run greater than 3.560”, you’ll need to cut the feed ramp
Is that with the Redsnake bottom metal or mountain tac?

That’d be with any of them since the AICS mags on a long action won’t fit without at least the trigger housing being machined
Interesting they wouldn't come that way since they're designed for LA AICS mags yeah?

I don’t know of any factory LA tikka that is designed for LA AICS mags. They have SA models that take AICS

the red snake allows you to run the LA 3.715” mags. No machining on the trigger housing.

If you go to the Red Snake Tactical website and click on the long action bottom metal, they have a install video showing what work is necessary on a factory stock. The only other thing to be aware of if you end up going that direction is notching the feedramp.

I would imagine mountain tactical has a similar video or set of instructions if that is the way you wind up going. If you don’t see one online, you could probably just email them to see what they have available.

Reactions: Charlie112
bit late to the party.
We fit Atlasworx T3 LA mag systems. They do need to be bedded in the correct position (Start by bedding the action first), little flat mag spring must be removed and trigger housing pushed in the rear position before tightening. Trigger unit does not need to be milled. Mostly also works without feed ramp notch milling. If it were mine I would mill the notch in the feed ramp although I never did one. All 3.715 " mags, Accurate, MDT, AI or plastic Pmag in 30-06.
edi

Reactions: Johnerz
Waters in Australia is making bottom metal for the MDT 3.56 mags. I still need to play with it a bit as the mag won't drop free easily, but the depth was good. I have a redsnake product as well, thought it was very well made, my plan for it is to tig the BM and machine it to use the 3.56 AICS mags. Atlas works said they were looking into making a BM to use the MDT mags as well.
Lastly When I got the Waters bottom metal I bought a couple of his mags too. I'll may just run them and sell the other as they feed better than any of the others in a Mountain Tactical BM for tikka mags. But I like to tinker so I'll probably get them all working properly.

Dave Waters bottom metal for Tikka T3x and the MDT 3.56 mags requires no inlet work on the stock (tried both factory plastic, wood and GRS Berserk stock). This set up works nice for my 6XC (i.e. for short action calibers similar to 308, 6 creed, etc) and 6.5x55 swede (i.e. for long action calibers like 30-06, .284win, etc). If you need extra rounds in the mag you can printout mag extension for MDT 3.560 mag version (prints available on internet) but than you need to get right size spring (as Dave again).

Reactions: NewsShooter
UPDATE

Dave Waters also did extra work and converted MDT 3.560 magazine into 10-round magazine (i.e. suits well PRS game). He 3D printed (1) mag extension, (2) follower and added (3) right size spring.

The same Dave Water' Tikka T3x DBM (100% drop-in) + MDT 3.560 magazine setup accomodates many popular short action (308win, 6xc, 6cm, except 6br calibers not tested yet) and long action calibers (300win, 3006, 6.5×55, etc)

Attachments

• IMG-20230724-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230724-WA0000.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 43