• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 CTR. Did i bent the reciver threads?

NicoDiko

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2021
Denmark
Hi guys, so i know this miiight be a stupid question. But i cant seem to get peace of mind. Here goes:
I was trying to get my Tikka CTR in a custom stock. It was like, the recoil lug, or something else dident fit perfectly. I could not get the rifle all the way into the stock.
I pressed down with my right hand on the barrel ahead of the scope, and with the left hand i pressed dwon on the back of the reciver ( where you insert the bolt if the bolt have been taken out ) so that the back of the reciever would not lift from the stock when i pushed down on the barrel. The back end of the rifle was getting in the stock OK, it was the front end that would not go 100% in. I then tried to get the rifle to sit in the stock, by pushing down on the barrel with the right hand on the barrel. I thourgt it was just a tight fit, but it turns out the stock was out of spec. I used quite som force and weight to get the rifle in stock this way..

Can i have bent or damaged the the threads in the reciver this way? The rifle shoots fine groups, but i have experienced that poi goes a little up some times with no explanation, even when shooting on short distance like 60 yards from a bench. It also seems, that the rifle is a little more sensitive to barrel heat than i would expect from a semi heavy barrel.

I just cant stop wondering, if i could have damaged the threads in the reciver.

I highly doubt you bent anything. It wouldn't be the first Tikka barrel I've heard of that has stress issues or the stock needs bedded. If the barrel is the issue you can send it out for cryo treatment or you'll have to replace it.

I highly doubt you bent anything. It wouldn't be the first Tikka barrel I've heard of that has stress issues or the stock needs bedded. If the barrel is the issue you can send it out for cryo treatment or you'll have to replace it.

Thx for the answer. Do you think its possible that the barrel is not "sitting" correct in the reciver threads after i used force trying to get in the stock?Maybe its sitting a little "looser" if i somehow just bent it a very little?

Thx for the answer. Do you think its possible that the barrel is not "sitting" correct in the reciver threads after i used force trying to get in the stock?Maybe its sitting a little "looser" if i somehow just bent it a very little?
Im sure its "possible" but you would also have to be the worlds biggest dumbass to put that much force on it.

I do not think you loosened it. I have removed quite a few Tikka barrels and they require a significant amount of force with an action wrench to loosen. I think the stock would have broken or deformed before the barrel would have loosened.

Shoot it. You will figure right away if you actually bent something. I would bet that you did not. However, with things that tight of a fit, verify that your barrel still free floating. If it is, you are likely good to go.

Reactions: NicoDiko
Well, .... I don't think you could damage the threads but you might have bent the barrel. How much of a POI shift are you seeing?

Well, .... I don't think you could damage the threads but you might have bent the barrel. How much of a POI shift are you seeing?

Its not a permanent shift in POI that happend. But i have experienced, that i have shot maybe 3 groups on bullseye, and suddenly, the next 2 groups are +2cm above bullseye. Then again, the next groups are back on bullseye again.

Thats the same group. Shoot 20 in a hole and youll see your real group. Dont arbitrarily exclude shots just because they dont match your hopes.

I do not think you loosened it. I have removed quite a few Tikka barrels and they require a significant amount of force with an action wrench to loosen. I think the stock would have broken or deformed before the barrel would have loosened.
and by 'significant' he means FRIGGIN SIGNIFICANT x10

Reactions: FisherT&C
There's a pretty good explanation of this effect on KRG's chassis install instructions that apply every time you put a Tikka BA into any chassis or stock...the methodology is to drop in the BA, hand tighten screws, the grasp the action/rail surface and mag surface in a tight grip, turn rifle muzzle up, and smack the butt of the stock on the ground keeping a firm grip. The recoil lug will then fully seat and you can torque action screws.

Capture.JPG

If you had to wedge the rifle into the stock something is binding and causing your poi shifts. What stock? Remove the BA and see if you can see where it was jamming that might be causing your shifts.

Ain't no way you bent the barrel or action. Something else would have broke in the process before you deformed the action or barrel.

Did you have the action bolts in the out of spec stock installed and tightened with the action in the wrong place?

The way I read up above you were just using hand pressure to push the action in to the out of spec stock with no bolts.

Look up yield strength of aisi 4350 or 416r steels. Those are based on 1" cross sections. You likely didn't get anywhere those numbers.

Note for engineers. It might not be the correct term but there's no way he got close to those numbers by at least 1 or 2 orders of magnitude.

Did you have the action bolts in the out of spec stock installed and tightened with the action in the wrong place?

The way I read up above you were just using hand pressure to push the action in to the out of spec stock with no bolts.

Look up yield strength of aisi 4350 or 416r steels. Those are based on 1" cross sections. You likely didn't get anywhere those numbers.

Note for engineers. It might not be the correct term but there's no way he got close to those numbers by at least 1 or 2 orders of magnitude.
Thx for the answer :) No, i did not have the action bolts in. You are right, i used hand pressure, and my weight trying to get the action into the stock.
At one time, i think i got the action all the way into the stock, but i was not sure, so i kept on pushing down on the action. i found out, that the recoil lug was a little to high later on. But before i found out, i tried pushing the action down, using my weight, even thou it was already as far down it could come. Does that make a diffrence?

Last edited:
Ain't no way you bent the barrel or action. Something else would have broke in the process before you deformed the action or barrel.
Thx :)

At one time, i think i got the action all the way into the stock, but i was not sure, so i kept on pushing down on the action. Does that make a diffrence? i found out, that the recoil lug was a little to high later on. But before i found out, i tried pushing the action down, using my weight, even thou it was already as far down it could come.

Last edited:
If you had to wedge the rifle into the stock something is binding and causing your poi shifts. What stock? Remove the BA and see if you can see where it was jamming that might be causing your shifts.

It was a CNC machined stock/chassis hybrid thing my friend had made for me. I think it was the recoil lug that was protuting to much from the stock, and also the "walls" on the stock was just a little to narrow. I did manage to get the action all the way down on the recoil lug, but i kept pushing down on it caused it seemed to be not all the way in, but found out the recoil lug was too high

Thx for the answer :) No, i did not have the action bolts in. You are right, i used hand pressure, and my weight trying to get the action into the stock.
At one time, i think i got the action all the way into the stock, but i was not sure, so i kept on pushing down on the action. i found out, that the recoil lug was a little to high later on. But before i found out, i tried pushing the action down, using my weight, even thou it was already as far down it could come. Does that make a diffrence?
In that case I am absolutely sure you didn't bend the action or the barrel. If maybe you had the weight of more than 20 people you might have a hope of bending. You're fine.

In that case I am absolutely sure you didn't bend the action or the barrel. If maybe you had the weight of more than 20 people you might have a hope of bending. You're fine.
Thx :) Im most nervous about the part, where the action actually did come down on the recoil lug as far as it could, and i kept trying to push the action down. Is it completly unrealistic to damage anything that way?

Thx :) Im most nervous about the part, where the action actually did come down on the recoil lug as far as it could, and i kept trying to push the action down. Is it completly unrealistic to damage anything that way?
Imagine you take out the lug. Place it on some steel plate. Stand on it on end. Imagine what the plate steel looks like underneath.

Don't have one in front of me so I will do this based off rough memory of the size. 1/4"x1" or so. If you weigh 200lbs it presses down with 800psi or 800lbs/ square inch. I'm guessing you didn't stand on your action. Yield numbers for steel are in 68,000psi+ range. You are fine.

Imagine you take out the lug. Place it on some steel plate. Stand on it on end. Imagine what the plate steel looks like underneath.

Don't have one in front of me so I will do this based off rough memory of the size. 1/4"x1" or so. If you weigh 200lbs it presses down with 800psi or 800lbs/ square inch. I'm guessing you didn't stand on your action. Yield numbers for steel are in 68,000psi+ range. You are fine.
Thanks alot, guess i was worrying too much :) However, i dident get the "imagine what the plate underneath looks like", but i can read from your post that all is fine, and i thank you for all the answers and patience :) I did press down on the barrel in front of the scope, so i guess i would get some leverage there compared to if i pushed down on the action itself?

Last edited:
Reactions: LeftyJason
Thanks alot, guess i was worrying too much :) However, i dident get the "imagine what the plate underneath looks like", but i can read from your post that all is fine, and i thank you for all the answers and patience :) I did press down on the barrel in front of the scope, so i guess i would get some leverage there compared to if i pushed down on the action itself?
Nico, seriously….how many people do you need to tell you that there is no way in heaven or hell that you bent the barrel, bent the action, or loosened a Tikka barrel which takes a great deal of concentrated effort…and often a relief cut…to get off.

And my friend, you definitely seem like a “get a bigger hammer” type guy.

Do as suggested…remove the BA, find where it was binding, get that area properly relieved, strongly consider having an actual gunsmith bed it for you, install it correctly (I.e.bounce it on the butt pad to seat it to the rear before torquing the action screws), and make sure you barrel is free floating when done.

I think all of this has been recommended by others, above.

Best of luck.

Nico, seriously….how many people do you need to tell you that there is no way in heaven or hell that you bent the barrel, bent the action, or loosened a Tikka barrel which takes a great deal of concentrated effort…and often a relief cut…to get off.

And my friend, you definitely seem like a “get a bigger hammer” type guy.

Do as suggested…remove the BA, find where it was binding, get that area properly relieved, strongly consider having an actual gunsmith bed it for you, install it correctly (I.e.bounce it on the butt pad to seat it to the rear before torquing the action screws), and make sure you barrel is free floating when done.

I think all of this has been recommended by others, above.

Best of luck.
Yeah i know, i tend to overthink such things.. I have it in another stock now. Thanks for the answer, i just needed to hear it was not possible so i could get i out of my head.

Reactions: Baron23
If by "the recoil lug was a little too high" you mean the recoil lug is bottoming out in the chassis that's your poi shift right there.

There's a pretty good explanation of this effect on KRG's chassis install instructions that apply every time you put a Tikka BA into any chassis or stock...the methodology is to drop in the BA, hand tighten screws, the grasp the action/rail surface and mag surface in a tight grip, turn rifle muzzle up, and smack the butt of the stock on the ground keeping a firm grip. The recoil lug will then fully seat and you can torque action screws.
That is to make sure the action is tight against the recoil lug, and the recoil lug is tight against the stock, in the direction of recoil. It really sounds to me like OP is having issues getting the recoil lug into the recess on the receiver, which should drop in easily - there’s tons of clearance on the OEM parts. It can be difficult to tell if it is seated all the way.

OP, to install the barreled action, you shouldn’t have to press down much at all. Set the action in place on the top of the recoil lug. Shift the action fore and aft until the action drops in place over the lug. If you have to force it at all, investigate why.

If you think the recoil lug is too tall, or the chassis pocket for it is not deep enough, measure it to confirm or disprove it.

Is the barrel free floating? If not, that could be contributing to your POI shift. Is the scope, mount, and rings the same as before the chassis swap? Is everything torqued correctly?

Last edited:
If by "the recoil lug was a little too high" you mean the recoil lug is bottoming out in the chassis that's your poi shift right there.
You understand Tikka's don't have a recoil lug, right? The lug is in the chassis/stock, and the receiver has a recoil lug groove.

Ahhhh I have never played with a tikka so I assumed a conventional setup my bad. Will have to check that out thanks for the education 👍

So the stock is/was out of spec but you forced the barreled action in the stock anyway and bolted it together? Am I reading that correctly?

This is why I almost never buy used guns, you never know what kind of dumb shit that someone that doesn't know WTF they're doing did to the thing.

I highly doubt you bent your receiver, but who knows what you might have done. The correct thing to do would have been to stop when you were having issues installing a stock/chassis that should be a drop in fit that you had to force together. Your out of spec stock needs to be exchanged and if you fucked it up somehow putting it together then you're probably SOL.

So the stock is/was out of spec but you forced the barreled action in the stock anyway and bolted it together? Am I reading that correctly?

This is why I almost never buy used guns, you never know what kind of dumb shit that someone that doesn't know WTF they're doing did to the thing.

I highly doubt you bent your receiver, but who knows what you might have done. The correct thing to do would have been to stop when you were having issues installing a stock/chassis that should be a drop in fit that you had to force together. Your out of spec stock needs to be exchanged and if you fucked it up somehow putting it together then you're probably SOL.
He didn't bolt it together with out of spec stuff. Post 18

Well he still forced it together which was dumb and he shouldn't have done.

He says to have shot it though, so is that with this same stock or a replacement?
I did not bolt it together in the stock that was out of spec :) I have shot it since with another stock. i realised, that when the barrel just get a little bit warm, POI shift and starts hitting high.

@FisherT&C did a barrel for me in 300 wsm on a Tikka action. He offered to take the barrel off. I said no, and did it myself. I put the barrel in a Davidson vise, and have a wheeler action wrench with a cheater bar...and a mallet. If I could go back I would have had him do it, but I beat the shit out of that barrel and wasent very kind to the action. From what I was told there was no problems with the action. The barrel he chambered, threaded and crowned, and put on, is the nicest I have in the stable. Moral of the story, Don't be an idiot like me. And I highly doubt you bent the barrel, and to bend the action you'd need an incredible amount of force. Trust me, I know from experience less than 6 months ago. Haha

Nico, perchance is your nom-de-guerre Buddly?

Because only someone as strong as Buddly could bend a Tikka.

And yes, I am giving you some razzing with a Hide inside joke. Good luck with the Tikka!