• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Ejection Issue

pfde974

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2022
My Tikka T3 in 223 Rem has developed an extraction/ejection issue. Seems about 50-60% of the rounds will not eject and only be partly pulled from the chamber. When I look at the extractor it seems it is barely catching the rim/extractor groove and maybe letting go of the brass before it gets to the ejection stage thus leaving the spent brass in the action. I have cleaned the extractor and the ejector seems to be free moving so I am a bit stumped. Curious if anyone has had similar issues and what was done to resolve it?

I wonder if you have a failing extractor spring. Maybe stretch the spring with pliers and see if it fixes the issue. If it does then order a few replacements and swap one it out.

I'd suggest removing the extractor and giving all the parts a close look. The claw may have partially broken or there may some debris blocking the claw from getting a full engagement on the case rim.

Reactions: Johnerz
How you have mounted scope? There is a possibility, that low mounted spuhr or some other one piece mount could interfere with ejection. This is very easy to verify; just run a brass in chamber, run action and look if the head of brass bumps scope mount and then collapses back to the action. I saw yesterday similar case on the range.

Edit: This won't answer if the problem is really from extracting from the chamber. Have not heard many broken extractors, but that could happen.

Last edited:
Spare ejector and extractor hardware is fairly cheap for a tikka and worth it to have around.

Pull it apart and take a look.

I wonder if you have a failing extractor spring. Maybe stretch the spring with pliers and see if it fixes the issue. If it does then order a few replacements and swap one it out.
My Tikka T3 in 223 Rem has developed an extraction/ejection issue. Seems about 50-60% of the rounds will not eject and only be partly pulled from the chamber. When I look at the extractor it seems it is barely catching the rim/extractor groove and maybe letting go of the brass before it gets to the ejection stage thus leaving the spent brass in the action. I have cleaned the extractor and the ejector seems to be free moving so I am a bit stumped. Curious if anyone has had similar issues and what was done to resolve it?
What did you find out if you have resolved the issue. If not was it factory ammo or reloads? Does it do it on a round you didn’t fire?