• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 failing to eject!!!

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 that only has about 2000 rounds thru it. It currently sits in a XLR chassis instead of the cheap factory one. I love the rifle, and it shoots great, but I have always had problems ejecting shells. I read on here some time ago something similar, but I can't refind it.

What could be wrong? Is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

I am planning to send the rifle off in the future to have the action trued and rebarreled, so is there anything that can be done at that time to increase ejection reliability?

If I need to provide more info let me know.

Re: Tikka T3 failing to eject!!!

You might need to replace the ejector or ejector spring with a new one.

Also, sometimes some small brass shavings or sand/grit can get in the ejector channel and hang things up.

I would order the parts, and just replace the ejector once you have everything in hand, or have your gunsmith do the replacement for you.

The extractor claw is clean. I've even taken it and the ejector out before to clean them and just to see what they were like. It was probably around the 1200 round point.

Looked online tonight and saw replacement sako extractors on brownells. I guess they are all the same?

Does anyone know which would work best?

I also took the bolt out and pushed a shell into the face so that the claw grabbed it. It seems that the side of the extractor closest to ejector plunger is grabbing the rim less than other end. This is also where it seems to be slipping out. However, when I examined it, there was no excessive wear. Maybe they made this one a little defected?

Update: I tried to buy parts from superior shooting (David tubb company) and I recieved terrible service. It took forever, the order was charged but never went thru. Then they send me the wrong part after I tlked with them on the phone. Not likely using them again.

Anyways, for the good news... Gave brownells a call and they guided me thru their site to find the replacement part. Ordered it, and it arrived promptly. Put the parts in the bolt, and cycled a few shells to check functionality. Turns out it works flawlessly. I think the extractor spring was too weak and was releasing the shell too early.

Glad that's over with.

<span style="font-weight: bold">10/23/11</span>:
Went to the range to do some testing of reloads. Not a single failure to eject with replacement extractor and ejector. I am very much relieved.

Reactions: Dolomite