• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka t3 help

treetrimmer_01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
Shonkin, MT
I'm going to get my son a Tikka t3x and put it in a mdt chassis to shorten up lop. But the question is which one?

Do I get a t3x lite and shorten/thread the barrel, or get the t3x varmit and have it shortened threaded and fluted? I need to keep the weight down so he can move it around shooting prairie dogs and steel. He will also be shooting suppressed if that matters at all.

Thanks for the help

Reactions: x0mb13
I'm going to get my son a Tikka t3x and put it in a mdt chassis to shorten up lop. But the question is which one?

Do I get a t3x lite and shorten/thread the barrel, or get the t3x varmit and have it shortened threaded and fluted? I need to keep the weight down so he can move it around shooting prairie dogs and steel. He will also be shooting suppressed if that matters at all.

Thanks for the help
I dont believe that shortening the barrel on either one would change length of pull, unless you're referring to something else as LOP?

Regardless, for lightest weight and shortest LOP, if you're 100% on MDT as your choice, get the HNT26.

Short of that, get an MDT LSS, and add your own carbine adapter and buttstock of choice..or one of their adjustable ones

Don’t know what caliber you are considering, but if you are thinking about getting a varmit and having to shorten it, I’d just buy a CTR. You can get a 20” length, the barrel won’t be quite as meaty as the varmit model, but it’s still got plenty of profile, already comes threaded at a shorter length. Seems to meet your needs unless you want a caliber not offered in that model, the 20” length is pretty handy.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Dont complicate things. Get a CTR. Its already threaded and comes in 20 and 24” barrels.

Though, you didn’t mention what caliber.

Reactions: Lightning8
I want to get a 223. I now see that options for that are limited. Looks like t3x lite is about my only option.
ok yea, a little. Threaded versions are $1k+. You might be better off like @wind gypsy said and get a compact and thread it.

tikka makes a CTR in 223, but they’re rare
IMG_2352.png

If you are willing to spend the money required for the varmit model - you could buy a lite for probably $650-700 bucks, get a barrel spin up by PVA, preferred barrels, or another shop, and drop it into a bravo chassis ( since most wider barrels aren’t going to drop nicely into a factory lite stock) for similar money. Just another option if you’re up for it.

Or you can just buy the lite and have it threaded.

I think right now for time being. I'm just going to buy a lite or compact lite, cut the stock and have the barrel threaded. When he out grows the modified stock get him a chassis, after that he will probably be ready for a heavier contour barrel.