• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Lite Short Action Magnum & Best AICS Mags

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Good afternoon range commandos,

I need your advise, please. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 WSM. I am thinking about getting a pre-fit 7mm SAUM and turning it into a light weight hunting rifle. The rifle has sentimental value so selling is not an option. My question is, if I go with a chassis, what AICS mags work with a short action magnum cartridge? As anyone done something like this? Is anyone using a T3 short action mag with AICS magazines?

watermans magazines are worth looking into, they have an element of sticker shock, but seem to be engineered well.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I originally set my rifle up to run ALPHA 10 round WSM mags as it was being used in precision rifle comps etc. They have run without issue. I understand they may be hard to obtain. I've also used accurate mag 308 based mags without the front binder plate (only take 8 SAUM rounds) they cycled reliably and in my case required nil feed lip tweaks. My rifle was set up as a short action but I can still reach 2900fps with Berger 180gr Hybs using Retumbo and a COAL of 2.950".

Are those AICS?
They are specifically designed for Tikkas...i believe CTR/TRG and OEM tikka footprints. I've used AICS in KRGs, but have met people who adise these as better than AICS. YMMV and all of that, I have not personally shot them yet.

I run the accurate mag 3 round mags for my prc. They feed well and give a little more for seating than a normal aics. I like the 3rds better for hunting than lugging a ten round mag around

MDT has metal 3 round for wsm Saum prc,I have had luck with their 308 win 5 round in my tikka 300 wsm.
I had the 308 metal 5 rounders kicking around ,I tried them and they worked right away but I’m sure if I open the feed lips up a bit the rounds will work even better .
checked my plastic magazines too but no go.,kelly

MDT, XLR and make a chassis that use the MDT LA tikka mags, that is what I would suggest using. They're designed to use the tikka footprint at 3.56. great for the 7 saum and 6.5 PRC.