• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3: Manners T4 vs. T2

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
<span style="font-weight: bold">Background</span>

I purchased this Tikka T3 Lite in 2008 to be my main hunting rifle. I've been shooting all of my life, but had never really had an opportunity to shoot much over 200 yds. before. A good friend and hunting buddy started encouraging me to shoot longer and longer as it would improve my confidence in shorter shots. I was really excited when I hit at 600 yds. for the first time, thus starting an addiction that I have yet to recover from.
wink.gif
It was about that time I discovered this site and started learning more and more about LR shooting and now I'm officially hooked. I've shot this rifle accurately out to 2300 yds. so far and the goal is to hit at 2.5K, conditions allowing.

Along the path towards learning to shoot my rifle and tailor it to be more effective at long range, I learned that the OEM Tikka stock was a poor platform from a strength and ergonomics standpoint. This rifle is chamber in 300WM and even with the brake, it really moves around in the OEM stock. Filling the stock with Devcon and then pillar bedding helped, but I knew that best performance was not going to be realized without a decent stock. I started calling different stock manufacturers to see who actually made one for a Tikka. When I spoke with Tom Manners, he spent the better part of an hour going over how his stocks were made and also told me that he was soon coming out with a special stock just for the Tikka, due to it's unique needs.

Last year, having overheard me talk about the stock that I really wanted, but could not afford, my 18 yo twin boys purchased a Manners T4 for me for Father's Day and my 50th birthday. I was so surprised. I got one of the very first that Tom made. It's a beautiful stock and I immediately pillar bedded it and set to using it to shoot better and further than I could have imagined.

Along the line at some point, I happened to mention in a thread here on the Hide, that the stock was heavier than I'd been told it would be, since it was supposed to be 90% carbon fiber , which is lighter and stiffer. The next post was from Tom Manners! He told me that they must have mistakenly NOT made a 90% carbon for me and he'd start a new stock for me right away. Keep in mind that I've had the stock nearly a year now. I cannot say enough positive things about Tom and his crew. They bend over backwards to make their customers happy.

In the course of the conversation I asked Tom if he could modify the T4 so that the buttstock angled so I could slide a bag fore/aft for elevation adjustments. He said no, but that he was in the process of inletting a T3 for another customer into one of his T2 stocks, and that would work better for me. So that's what he made for me, a custom inletted T2 in 90% carbon. It ends up weighing about 2/3 lb. less than the T4.

The T4 is specially made for the Tikka, the T2 is the same stock that is used on the Remingtons, so there are a couple of modifications that must be done to make it work, necessitating a small upcharge. I thought I would give an overview of the differences so that others with Tikkas would understand what options they have.

<span style="font-weight: bold">T4</span>

As stated, the T4 for the Tikkas is a special stock designed specifically for them. It has the same features of the regular T4 stock: Wide, flat foreend and buttstock, designed for riding in bags and a nice big palmswell that makes it very comfortable to shoot. It is extremely stiff and built like a battletank. There's also a butthook for those that prefer them.

IMG_0141crop.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">T2</span>

The T2 here is a modified stock with a built up tang and filled in ejection port. Since it is NOT designed specifically for the Tikka, some of the fit is not *quite* as nice as the T4, but since my rifles are tools, I really don't care. Someone who is extremely picky about such things might, so I point them out so at least the information is there to make a choice.

The T2 has a wide foreend also, but it is angled as is the buttstock. It is a little lighter than the T4 and the palmswell is a little smaller, so a person with small hands might appreciate it more. I really don't notice the difference when I shoot. The pistol grip is also about 1/4" shorter than the T4.

IMG_0188mod.jpg

If you look carefully, you'll notice a very slight profile difference in the tang/thumb cutout area. The shelf behind the tang is a *little* longer and more pronounced on the T4. I can't say that I notice while shooting and really don't strongly prefer one over the other.

One thing that DOES bother me is that because the T2 is not designed for the Tikka, it has to ride higher in the stock. That in itself is not a real issue, but it does mean that the action is about .200" higher in relation to the comb. This can mean cheekweld/eye position issues. I have a Vortex Razor which is *very* critical with respect to eye placement on 20x, so I had to build up the cheekpiece to accommodate. Not a showstopper by any means, but worth noting. It DOES make the rifle easier to clean when in the T2. The high comb on the T4 can interfere with a slightly short cleaning rod.

Here is a pic of the bolt back on the T2. Compare it to the pic above of the T4 for an idea of comb height difference. The T4 actually has a slot milled in the comb for the firing pin indicator.

IMG_0191.jpg

Here are the two stocks next to each other for comparison. T4 on top.

IMG_0195mod.jpg

One other result of the T2 not being specifically for the Tikka, is that the floorplate does not fit perfectly flush. It protrudes in the middle about .030". Again this doesn't bother me in the least, but some it may.

IMG_0197mod.jpg

A closeup of the small difference in palmswell. T4 on the left. Note also the slightly shorter, less pronounced tang, more open thumb cutout on the T2, as well as the bolt cutout on the T4.

IMG_0192mod.jpg

A shot of the grip area under the stock, to illustrate further subtle differences. T4 on top.

IMG_0196.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion</span>

Both the Manners T4 and T2 are an outstanding upgrade over the pathetic OEM Tikka stock. They are both MUCH stiffer and far more comfortable to shoot for extended range sessions. The major difference between the two is in the foreend and buttstock and most people will choose based on this alone. If you move a rear bag back and forth for elevation, the T2 is the ticket. If you use a butthook or ride in bags on a bench, the T4. Others may not care about those features as much, but may be concerned about cosmetics. In that case, since the T4 is custom built for the Tikka, fit is much better, but shouldn't be a showstopper for most who choose the T2.

So, there really is no clear winner here. A matter of preference and the T2 really suits my personal needs very well, without losing features that are important to me. The winner at the end of the day is the Tikka owner who now has one more really good option.

John

Re: Tikka T3: Manners T4 vs. T2

Awesome post John, she looks like a show stopper to me.
I love the customer service that you get from nearly anyone involved with products for firearms. It truly is one of the most friendly sports i've ever been involved in.
Nice stick.

Between the two, I favor the T4 myself. Waiting to save some money for it. Now if I can only get an aftermarket mazagine to be able to load those long bullets.

I've been waiting for a T2 to pop up for months...should have just ordered one!

Thanks for the comparison, well done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between the two, I favor the T4 myself. Waiting to save some money for it. Now if I can only get an aftermarket mazagine to be able to load those long bullets. </div></div>

I know.

Pete Lincon at Roedale Precision and Jeff at CDI have been promising to do something for the LA magnums for over a year. Massoud, here on the Hide, has said he'll do it too, if there is enough interest. Perhaps we should post something to gauge interest, cuz I'm tired of single feeding 208 AMAX's loaded long (although, I did finally get a JLK load to shoot from mag. length... encouraging).

John

John,

I'm a week away from getting my mitts on my T4 - this has notched my anticipation up a couple of levels!

Excellent post. Thanks.

(By the way, which rail do you have on that T3?)

That's an EGW 20 MOA. We modified it to 30 MOA to take advantage of the ample elevation of the Razor.

John