• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Part II, rookie has a question (a couple)

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
Well, since I kind of hijacked another thread for a post or 2, figured I would start my own, since I still had some questions.

OK....

As some of you may know, I am in teh hunt (no pun intended) for a rifle, and willbe my first actual purchase, ever. After spending last few weeks here on the forum, buying some mags and reading up, knowing what my $$$ is, I was able to go from @ 10 rifles, down to 2-3. Budget is $500+, and really like to go $500-$800 for just the rifle, and then spend @ $500 for a nice scope.
Basically looking at the Tikka T3, the Remington 700, and teh Savage. All chambered for teh .308. It LOOKS like the T3 and 700 will be closer to my $$$, as most Savages start getting up there (from what I found anyways).

So, I really like teh T3, because it is a "little different", than the 700. I am a car guy, so I see the Rem 700 as a 69 Camaro, and the T3 as the 69 Pontiac Firebird.

Now, I realize that the 700 has HUGE aftermarket support, but after doing some homework, it seems that the T3 is very nice rifle, and has been getting some nice reviews, with impressive results.

OK, my first rookie question, and it may not have ANYTHING to do with either gun, but since I have NO idea, I still wanted to know before I continue...

So, what is teh difference in a long/short action? And why the need for one or the other? Again, I am a rookie guys, so bare with me.
Thanks

Re: Tikka T3 Part II, rookie has a question (a couple)

I was in the similar situation as you several months ago, and after research here and on other forums I chose a T3 Varmint in .308 and I am very happy with it. Shot it for the first time this weekend in some crappy weather and it was very accurate. It was perfect out of the box without needing any gunsmith work to get it shooting right and that is exactly what I wanted.

FYI Beretta is no longer importing the Tikka T3 Varmint in stainless in any caliber. So if you want stainless you will have to look at the Tikka T3 Lite. The rep also commented that they may no longer be importing the Varmint in .308. So if you are looking at the Varmint model in .308 I would call Beretta to verify availability. A few pop up on gunbroker now and then, but the T3 Lite seems to be the most readily available right now. There is nothing wrong with the Lite, it also gets great reviews, I just wanted the heavier barrel of the Varmint model.

Good luck with the search!

You can't go wrong with the T3. I have a T3 Tactical in .308. Great gun out of the box. It easily shoots sub .5 moa, even with me behind it. Good luck.

Like some others on here, I purchased a T3 in .308 for hunting and have really been impressed with the overall accuracy of this "off the rack" mass produced rifle. I own several custom rifles for various competitive disciplines and cannot get over the way this gun shoots.
In a practice round at 600 yds two weeks ago I was testing some Berger 155's and 175's for giggles and grins. Shot a 96 with 4X in 175 and 97 with 1 x with the 155's. Both were the VLD Hunting bullet Berger offers. Now I know that is not all that impressive but the "F" class X ring is only 1/2 min of angle (3 ") so not too shabby eh?
Go with the Tikka, you won't be disappointed.

.308 is going to be a short action.

Larger cartridges require longer actions so that there is enough room for the cartridge. Generally bulkier and require a longer bolt pull. Since you're going with the .308, it's not something you need to be concerned with at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 is going to be a short action.

Larger cartridges require longer actions so that there is enough room for the cartridge. Generally bulkier and require a longer bolt pull. Since you're going with the .308, it's not something you need to be concerned with at this point. </div></div>

OK thanks..was not sure what it was/is, so....

I went to my local Bass Pro Shops today, for a couple different reasons. 1)I need a new tent. Normally go camping every couple years, and decided I need a new tent ANd since I am looking at rifles, decided, hey, lets take a look while we are down there.
2)My kids like teh fish/aquarium there!

So, off we went, and much to my surprise, the $$$ was NOT what i was expecting. I was ready to see a bunch of overpriced stuff, but it wasn't. Maybe because I am a rookie, I am missing something BUT....

I saw a Remingtion 700 Varmint Heavy Barrel .308 for $589, and Tikka T3 Varmint for $569. I was expecting both of those rifles to bring much mroe than that ($$$$). So, is that right, or are they priced cheap?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brett B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in the similar situation as you several months ago, and after research here and on other forums I chose a T3 Varmint in .308 and I am very happy with it. Shot it for the first time this weekend in some crappy weather and it was very accurate. It was perfect out of the box without needing any gunsmith work to get it shooting right and that is exactly what I wanted.

FYI Beretta is no longer importing the Tikka T3 Varmint in stainless in any caliber. So if you want stainless you will have to look at the Tikka T3 Lite. The rep also commented that they may no longer be importing the Varmint in .308. So if you are looking at the Varmint model in .308 I would call Beretta to verify availability. A few pop up on gunbroker now and then, but the T3 Lite seems to be the most readily available right now. There is nothing wrong with the Lite, it also gets great reviews, I just wanted the heavier barrel of the Varmint model.

Good luck with the search!
</div></div>

If that is teh case, I may have found one of teh last...I was at Bass Pro Shops today, and I held the T3 Varmint in .308, for $569. Isn't that cheap? Doesn't that rifle bring much more than that ($$$)

AS a rookie, i could be wrong, but pretty sure from what I have seen and read, they both bring mroe than that.

Oh also, teh Lite and Varmint were priced teh same. Is that right? Again, rookie guy so bare with me.

Had to check and sure enough you are in Texas. That price is cheap imo. My t3 varmint cost me just over a grand here. I would go with the tikka over the remington just for the smooth action. Get them to bring both to the counter and play with both. ou will probably like the tikka better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had to check and sure enough you are in Texas. That price is cheap imo. My t3 varmint cost me just over a grand here. I would go with the tikka over the remington just for the smooth action. Get them to bring both to the counter and play with both. ou will probably like the tikka better. </div></div>

See that is what I thought. Maybe they had it marked wrong...i can't see it being THAT big of a difference..but I know what the tag said...Tikka T3 Varmint .308, $569

Hey guys...next question...

What is teh difference in Win, Win Mag, etc..? I am seeing this ammo or say a rifle and say chambered for Rem Mag, or Rem Ultra Mag, Win, etc...

I mean, if it is chambered for say a .308, doesn't ANY .308 cartridge work? Or am I missing something again (likely the case)?

I cant answer your question directly about the differences but in the firearm industry some rifle cartridges have more than one name BUT there are cartridges that will fit or have a name 'like' another rifle that can and will harm or kill you if you try and fire them in the wrong rifle.
Example: 308 is also called 7.62 or 7.62x51 or NATO. Most of the time you can swap them out but some rifles like a CETME, it is not advised to shoot a factory 308 round in it.
380 is also called * .380 Auto
* 9mm Browning
* 9mm Browning Short
* 9mm Corto
* 9mm Court
* 9mm Kratak
* 9mm Kurz
* 9mm Scurt
* 9mm Short
* 9x17mm

Some guns have more than one cartridge that will fit it. Some will fire safely and some will hurt or kill you.
If you are not sure, DON'T LOAD OR FIRE THE GUN!!! Until you have it checked by a gun smith. A gun smith is not the guy that sell guns at Walmart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

See that is what I thought. Maybe they had it marked wrong...i can't see it being THAT big of a difference..but I know what the tag said...Tikka T3 Varmint .308, $569 </div></div>

That's a good price, I paid more then that from an online vender.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys...next question...

What is teh difference in Win, Win Mag, etc..? I am seeing this ammo or say a rifle and say chambered for Rem Mag, or Rem Ultra Mag, Win, etc...

I mean, if it is chambered for say a .308, doesn't ANY .308 cartridge work? Or am I missing something again (likely the case)? </div></div>

.308 Win and 300 Win Mag for example are very different cartridges, and are not interchangeable.

Rifle_cartridge_comparison_w_scale.png

http://www.6mmbr.com/compcartridges.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 is going to be a short action.

Larger cartridges require longer actions so that there is enough room for the cartridge. Generally bulkier and require a longer bolt pull. Since you're going with the .308, it's not something you need to be concerned with at this point. </div></div>

Mead,

With most makers the 308 winchester is a short action cartridge. However, with the Tikka T3 that is not really true. All Tikka T3's are long actions, except for the bolt face. So a Tikka T3 in 223 has the same action length as a 308, which is the same as a 30-06, or 300 win mag.

What Tikka does is use a long bolt stop for shorter cartridges (thus shortening the bolt throw), and the magazines are all the same size, except that shorter cartridges have a spacer block suited to the factory OAL of that cartridge.

If you could get the parts from Tikka, you could turn a 308 into 30-06 for example, as the actions are the same.

Sako, the parent company of Tikka, with their Model 85, actually makes at least 5 different length receivers. But Tikka's T3 does not follow that model.

Just for your FYI.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 is going to be a short action.

Mead,

With most makers the 308 winchester is a short action cartridge. However, with the Tikka T3 that is not really true. All Tikka T3's are long actions, except for the bolt face. So a Tikka T3 in 223 has the same action length as a 308, which is the same as a 30-06, or 300 win mag.

What Tikka does is use a long bolt stop for shorter cartridges (thus shortening the bolt throw), and the magazines are all the same size, except that shorter cartridges have a spacer block suited to the factory OAL of that cartridge.

If you could get the parts from Tikka, you could turn a 308 into 30-06 for example, as the actions are the same.

Sako, the parent company of Tikka, with their Model 85, actually makes at least 5 different length receivers. But Tikka's T3 does not follow that model.

Just for your FYI.

Bob

</div></div>

Good to know. I suppose I should've known that since I have a T3 in the gun rack...

I didn't know that Tikka only offers one bolt length.

My plan is to build a left hand 260 Rem. Was going to get a 308 and remove the barrel but if its the same as a 30-06, may as well get a 30-06 as my son has a right hand 30-06. I can save the barrel for his if it ever needs it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtoy80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant answer your question directly about the differences but in the firearm industry some rifle cartridges have more than one name BUT there are cartridges that will fit or have a name 'like' another rifle that can and will harm or kill you if you try and fire them in the wrong rifle.
Example: 308 is also called 7.62 or 7.62x51 or NATO. Most of the time you can swap them out but some rifles like a CETME, it is not advised to shoot a factory 308 round in it.
380 is also called * .380 Auto
* 9mm Browning
* 9mm Browning Short
* 9mm Corto
* 9mm Court
* 9mm Kratak
* 9mm Kurz
* 9mm Scurt
* 9mm Short
* 9x17mm

Some guns have more than one cartridge that will fit it. Some will fire safely and some will hurt or kill you.
If you are not sure, DON'T LOAD OR FIRE THE GUN!!! Until you have it checked by a gun smith. A gun smith is not the guy that sell guns at Walmart. </div></div>

OK, thanks. Glad I asked...again, was not sure on that, and always kind of wondered, but never asked. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brett B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

See that is what I thought. Maybe they had it marked wrong...i can't see it being THAT big of a difference..but I know what the tag said...Tikka T3 Varmint .308, $569 </div></div>

That's a good price, I paid more then that from an online vender.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys...next question...

I mean, if it is chambered for say a .308, doesn't ANY .308 cartridge work? Or am I missing something again (likely the case)? </div></div>

.308 Win and 300 Win Mag for example are very different cartridges, and are not interchangeable.

Rifle_cartridge_comparison_w_scale.png

http://www.6mmbr.com/compcartridges.html
</div></div>

I am gonna head back there today, and double check to make sure, but man, I am 99% positive.

OK, WOW, that is a huge difference....what' the reasoning in it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 is going to be a short action.

Mead,

Just for your FYI.

Bob

</div></div>

Well, i am starting to understand a little more about long/short actions. So basically a long action is basically there to be able to fit a larger caliber ammo, you are pulling back the action "longer" to be able to chamber the round. Is that correct?

Also guys, wanted to ask this:

Since the 2 guns I looked at the other day, the 700 had a heavy barrel, and the Tikka did not...

basically the same price ($20 difference). I guess, what I am saying is, all things being considered, I should go with teh 700...from a "best deal" scenario.

But, I am really digging on the T3, but if I have to sink more money into, to make it "comparable" to the HB 700...

Or, am I reading to much into the HB thing? And not worry about it?

If this is *primarily* a hunting rig, then either will be fine, in fact the Tikka with it's lighter barrel would be at the advantage. If you want to send 10 rounds downrange as quickly and accurately as possible, a heavy barrel will be at an advantage.

LoneWolfUSMC reminds us all the time: "Mission defines the equipment".

JOhn

So the tikka you looked at the other day was not a varmint but was a lite then. I started out with one and it was an awesome rifle. Best cold bore shot out of any rifle I have had. But the barrel would heat up quick. Wasnt a huge deal, just had to let it cool down. I would still take it over the remi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this is *primarily* a hunting rig, then either will be fine, in fact the Tikka with it's lighter barrel would be at the advantage. If you want to send 10 rounds downrange as quickly and accurately as possible, a heavy barrel will be at an advantage.

LoneWolfUSMC reminds us all the time: "Mission defines the equipment".

JOhn </div></div>

No, primarily will be more range shooting..with some hunting thrown in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the tikka you looked at the other day was not a varmint but was a lite then. I started out with one and it was an awesome rifle. Best cold bore shot out of any rifle I have had. But the barrel would heat up quick. Wasnt a huge deal, just had to let it cool down. I would still take it over the remi. </div></div>

Well, from what I read on tag, I held a Varmint and the Lite (and the 700) and @ 3 more rifles to be exact. And what caught my eye, was when they were all lined up, the Tags (there were actually 3 Tikka's in a row) and all had same price tag on them..$569. The 3rd Tikka was in a different caliber, believe .22-250???? The other 2 were .308, Lite and Varmint...and again, same price tag...$569. I did some poking @ and seems the varmint goes for @ $900+ retail. So, if in fact it WAS a Varmint, and WAS $569, is obviously a smokin deal...a steal one might say. So, is there a way I can tell if it is a Varmint, from a lite? Will it say it somewhere on teh rifle itself, or???

I got my money from IRS, so I am gonna pick up the rifle this coming week..done looking @ and is down to the T3 and the 700.

If it IS a Varmint, and IS $569, I am picking it up. If I misread, or is mistagged, and they won't give it to me for that...makes my decision more difficult.
If anything, i am leaning towrads teh 700 simply because of teh HB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Varmint looks like this:

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Varmint.pdf

Has a thicker barrel, a raised cheekpiece and a wider foregrip extension.

John </div></div>

OK thanks. Appears that is was marked incorrectly then. I know it did not have a HB, so that would rule it out.OK that settles that question....

OK guys, went back last night, and this is what I found out.

It was a T3 Lite, and NOT a Varmint, so BOTH of teh T3's I looked at, were Lite's. i asked employee why the tag, becaues the tag DID say Varmint, and he knew right off it was not. He wondered that as well, since to teh best of his recollection, they have NEVER had a T3 varmint .308 in teh store, so not sure n teh tag.

Also, good news...they actually lowered teh prices on quite a few rifles as well.
The T3 lite is now only $529 and teh Remingtion 700 Varmint Heavy Barrel, is now only $569.

At this point, I might as well flip a coin...