• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Quality

DeepEastKilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
S/E Minnesota
www.youtube.com
Ive been hearing some bad things about tikkas lately. Im wondering whats going on as a while ago i heard nothing but great things about them as far as accuracy and all around quality. but recently on a few occasions more than one person has said they werent impressed with the accuracy of their rifle. someone said that the quality can be hit or miss now which is totally on the other end of the spectrum from what i was first hearing when i found "the rifle of my dreams". im starting to have my second thoughts because i dont want to be one of the "misses".

i was originally turned of from remington after hearing that id need to do a lot of upgrading to get it where i wanted. i also considered savage as an option as ive heard good things about them and my mk ll 22lr is great, but i really didnt find one that met my requirements.

the tikka seems to have everything i would want but if the quality/accuracy has gone out the window recently im concerned i may have to start searching for a different option.

any comments are helpful.

Re: Tikka T3 Quality

My Tikka T3 Lite in 223 is awesome. Very accurate out of the box. It has a 1:8" twist rate, so shooting the moderately heavy bullets is okay. The action is smooth, almost as smooth as my AIAW's. It's certainly smoother than the stock Remy action.

Things I don't like about Tikka:
1. For my varmint rifle, the stock sucks. It needs upgrade, but that' a personal preference. The rifle will shoot.
2. The magazine is plastic and it has SAAMI spec OAL for most cartridges, so if you want to load it long, then you have to do single feed. Certainly, if they have an upgrade for the magazine, then it's a perfect rifle out of the box. You can get the Tactical model. I don't have one so I can't comment on that.

I have to agree with DesertHK dislikes but with that said my .223 lite is one of the most accurate and cheapest guns I own. Wouldn't trade it of anything.

the quality of the Tikka is much better than the remington

All the Tikkas ive shot were awesome shooters. Ive got the Master Sporter 595 and with Varget and a 168gr SMK it shoot dime size groups at 100 yards.

Matter of fact yesterday I sighted in a Whitetail Tikka hunter rifle for my brother in law for a Florida hog hunt in 30-06. With IMR 4350 and a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic tip I shot 3 shots that looked like a oblong hole. They shoot very well and I wouldnt hesitate on buying another.

Better bottom metal coming soon too heh
wink.gif

Don't forget to post it when it's available. will it accept the AICS mag?

I have 2 T3 Tacticals one in 308 and one in 223. The 308 was the first one I bought, and it is 1/2 MOA out of the box, no mods other than a brake. I have to do my part, but it is an extremely accurate rifle for a completely unworked gun. No bedding, no new stock etc.

That being said, my 223 T3 i got because of how good the 308 was. It must have just barely scraped past Tikka quality control, because no matter what I loaded for it or how long (single feed included), it barely shot 1 MOA. It is currently at a smith waiting on CDI to get DBM ready for its new Manners stock. (So quit posting and get to work Jeff!!!
smile.gif
just kidding!)

So I don't know if I just got lucky on the 308 or unlucky on the 223. Overall, I think the quality of the rifle is there, but depending on if you rifle was made or quality checked on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon, you might get a rifle that shoots out of the box.

madd0c

That's just because sometimes get a one in a few hundred that get messed up or have a small defect from the rest and then that person goes on the damning the whole company and line of rifles.

They told me the same thing when I was looking at Remingtons and told me they were shit now and just a lot of ass talking.. My Remington shoots SUB .50 MOA just about every time even out to 600 yards with POS ammo & full value 10MPH+ winds and I'm no expert by far.

If your mass produce ANYTHING you will get a defect time to time.. ITs life. Unless everything is hand made hand checked ect. then you still might get a defect 1 out of 1,000,00,000.

My 2 cents.

i have owned several tikkas , they tend to be very accurate , imo have the smoothest actions and one of the best factory triggers . that said , the newer t3 action seems much thinner and lighter than my older 595 , or any other modern centerfire action i have seen .

yep. im looking at the tikka t3 super varmint in 223 so most of the issues like the stock are solved. im just really hoping i get a good shooter and not one of the barely moa guns.

I've owned 4 tikkas and retain 3 (.25-06 ss lite, .223 ss lite, and .204 ss varmint). They all have unmodified triggers that break clean and around 2 lbs. They all have a very slick bolt and function reliably. The three I have will all shoot 1/2 MOA with handloads. The one I got rid of would do 1 MOA. I suspect it would have done better if the laminated wood stock had been pillared and bedded. The .25-06 and .223 will load most bullets to the lands and fit the magazine. The .204 has a crazy long freebore and the bullets jump .2 inches before hitting lands. It still shoots 1/2 MOA five shots and has been my go-to coyote/varmint rifle for 2 years. All of the synthetic stocks needed further opening to free float the barrel. All of them demonstrated better accuracy after opening them up. I don't like the stocks, but they work. All in all, I would buy another in a minute. I've logged a lot of hours behind the tikkas and have very little complaint. I've also owned 3 kimbers at 2 times the price. My tikkas outperformed them in most every way.

My Tikka t-3 lite in .243 is a good shooter. It has taken several deer and many woodchucks - Fun light gun - slick bolt as well. I don't know if I ever heard an owner of one complain about the quality or accuracy.

JamieD
Wolf Precision

Like some of the guys said, you will always get the odd monday morning gun in any production line. and Tikka produce 30thousand rifle per year.

What ive seen of the Tikka they have been of good quality for the price and accurate.
sure the factory stocks are crap, but most factory stocks are, they have to cut somewhere to get the price down.

Personaly with a choice between a TRG and a Tikka T3. If i put the T3 in one of our RCS stocks, I think that the T3 is a better choice, and about 1/2 the price.

We've also got a T3 bottom metal. The version as a straight replacement for the factory unit, but in alloy is ready to go now and will appear in the shop in the next 2 weeks.
Thats is however more of the hunters who dont want a AICS mag sticking out. We are also looking at a replacement metal magazine to suit this unit, basicaly a T3 mag, but in steel. and with longer OAL capacity for the rounds.

The AICS version will be ready for the .308 / WSM AICS type mags in a few weeks (finaly) with .300wm version following shortly.

So for you Tikka fans its good news, Several companies starting to make parts for Tikka T3's

Bottom Metal:

CDI & Roedale Precision

Stocks:

Manners, McMillan, Robertson, Wild Dog with PSE to follwo.

Alloy bolt shroud:

Roedale Precision, and a company in Australia, I forget the name,.some one remind me please.

Bolt Handles:
Damn I forgot the guys name, but he's on the hide, and the company down under and Roedlae Precision.

Triggers:

CG-Xtreeme Triggers should have aT3 version back in the works very soon.

alle good news indeed.

regards Pete

Pete, it might seen silly to adress you here however I have emailed the firm about three weeks ago and no luck yet,

CG-triggers could a T3 model be fitted/retrofitted to a Sako 591 action?

Second do you have a delivery date for them?

Well that was about all.

Best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Alloy bolt shroud:

Roedale Precision, and a company in Australia, I forget the name,.some one remind me please.

Bolt Handles:
Damn I forgot the guys name, but he's on the hide, and the company down under and Roedlae Precision.

</div></div>

Gday Pete

The blokes down here who produce the bolt knob/handle and shroud are called Southern-X Tactical.

Also I'd just like to thank you for producing such a fine stock I've been using the RCS around 8 months now and the thing is AMAZING! quick question about the RCS though, what sling would you recommend?

And on Tikka's, they can't really be beaten for value, they shoot like semi customs, the action is one of the smoothest you'll find and THEY'RE CHEAP
grin.gif

i think quality is awesome... i'm sub MOA at 300 mt (5 rnds)
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bolt Handles:
Damn I forgot the guys name, but he's on the hide...</div></div>

Goes by fortis here on the Hide I believe, but he's gone dark. I've been waiting for a response on my PM to him for about 6 months now. I need a bolt handle for my T3...and one of those Roedale stocks...and some bottom metal....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bottom Metal:

CDI & Roedale Precision

Alloy bolt shroud:

</div></div>

There is a gunsmith in Sweden who has made bottom metal and bolt shrouds for the T3:

http://forum.robsoft.nu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=98583&start=20#p1094583
http://forum.robsoft.nu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=98583&start=20#p1094583

I plan on having a prototype in my rifle by the end of the weekend. I want to get a sample to Australia for their SHOT show over there.:) IT will be a nice part and should be an easy install with minor inletting
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better bottom metal coming soon too heh
wink.gif
</div></div>

Will you also be making it for M595?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tappa91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Gday Pete

The blokes down here who produce the bolt knob/handle and shroud are called Southern-X Tactical.

Also I'd just like to thank you for producing such a fine stock I've been using the RCS around 8 months now and the thing is AMAZING! quick question about the RCS though, what sling would you recommend?

And on Tikka's, they can't really be beaten for value, they shoot like semi customs, the action is one of the smoothest you'll find and THEY'RE CHEAP
grin.gif

</div></div>

I just got one of their bolt handles and shroud last week. Received it in the mail the day after I ordered them from Hinterland Shooting Supplies. This is the first time I have dealt with them, but it won't be the last. Now to save a few more dollars so I can get one of Pete's stocks
smile.gif

They also have an Ebay store which might be easier for all you guys not in Australia.

http://www.hss.net.au/
http://stores.ebay.com/Hinterland-Shooting-Supplies

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 as my coyote gun and it is extremely accurate and the weight makes it a pleasure to carry in the field.

So for you Tikka fans its good news, Several companies starting to make parts for Tikka T3's

Bottom Metal:

CDI & Roedale Precision
</div></div>

I just wish you two would get off the internet and field a solid, working solution. I've had a T3 in .223 sitting in my basement for almost a year now waiting for a DBM that fits the AI mags. I even have 4 of the new AI .223 mags sitting right next to it.

I have money just waiting on you two....

here's my take on it...I have owned about 4-5 Tikkas, litrerallya hundred plus Rems and dozens and dozens of Winchester and Savages. The Tikka has always had the smoothest action, most conistent tigger (ie...same weight pull every time) and I have NEVER had a misfeed or jam with a Tikka and that includes rapid fire shooting. I haven'y had a lot of trouble with the other brands, but Never an issue with a Tikka, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with a Tikka.

What I didn't like about the Tikka T3 was the lack of customer service from Beretta USA and that the SS barrel started to rust. Found out that SS in barrels is not rust proof SS. I questioned Beretta about it and they never replied. Beretta Canada replies to emails very fast.
This was with a 30-06 Tikka T3 SS Lite. Its my boys starter rifle. I load reduced loads with it and he is very happy with it.

I am waiting on my Tikka T3 SS Lite 6.5x55.
Looking forward to getting a upgraded stock for it and other goodies.

Cant wait to see how the 6.5x55 shoots next to the 30-06.

Stainless steel is not rustproof, it is rust resistant. It can still rust if not cared for properly. Your gun, therefore, may or may not have been defective.

MY first Tikka is a good one. I'm very impressed. 6.5x55 lite, shoots half minute consistently. Stretched it out to 700 last week, just to see how it would do, and it is very capable. I see myself having several more of the rifles in the future.