• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Sporter

eternal24k

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
VERMONT
Anybody have experience with one? I am considering picking one up but cannot find much regarding accuracy or other first hand experience. Currently it's a toss up between this and the CZ 750 Sniper

Re: Tikka T3 Sporter

Yep, I have one, it was the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned. The bolt is smooth as glass, pretty lite and as I said shoots great, I am getting less the 1/2 moa @100 yds 168 grain Hornady. You will be a happy camper. As a side note I paid 500 for it new in the box (was on sale at Gander MTN last year). Good luck....Manny

I have 2 T3 Sorters, one in 6.5x55 and one in .223. They are great rifles. The stocks are fully adjustable and the triggers are easily adjusted to about 1 lbs. I set mine to 2 lbs for use with gloves. The 6.5x55 is very easy to load for and I have been very happy with the accuracy. The .223 I am still working with but shoots nice too. The .223 has a long throat and a short magazine so a 77 Sierra that fits in the mag is about .045 away from the lands. The 6.5 has a long mag so no problems there.

Here is the 6.5x55 in a hunting blind
IMG_0700.jpg

Here is a 5 round and 4 round group at 100 yards. I only had 9 rounds left. I made a small adjustment to the scope after the first 5, then 1 round got away from me with the last 4. The second group is mistakenly marked as 5 shots but it is only 4. The hi shot is from another rifle in .30, aiming at the tip of the top diamond.
IMG_0719.jpg

Here are three 5 shot groups and 2 singles fired at the small numbers with the .223. The silencer on the end must dampen the barrel and it tightens things up a bit, also drops it about an inch.
IMG_0718.jpg

Here is the .223 with can
IMG_0716.jpg

If rifles can be sexy, that one qualifies. I have been considering one of these since EuroOptic started with the pictures.

thanks, I really like the Tikka, my preference would be the Super Sporter, but the T3 looks great as well. How are the triggers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish they just went with the laminated wood grain in a nice dark stain to look similar to the Master Sporters. All those colors is too much for me. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more, I might dye it black if i get one

I thought about one in .260 for range and hunting but in the end decided to suck it up and get a TRG. A little more weight and money but I'm happy.

anybody know if the T3 will fit in a M595 stock? I really want a Master Sporter but might get the T3 sporter and put it in the Master Sporter stock (IF i can find one)

It's too bad that this rifle isn't offered as a lefty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody know if the T3 will fit in a M595 stock? I really want a Master Sporter but might get the T3 sporter and put it in the Master Sporter stock (IF i can find one) </div></div>

I'm guessing not, it's a completely different action. But you can do anything if you've got a Dremel and enough epoxy.

Yeah, I like that Master Sporter stock, too. I was thinking of checking around, there are quite a few stock makers with duplicators (I was toying with the idea of getting one myself) and one might have a master for this stock and can make one, without inletting it.

I've currently got one lined up to make a M28/76 stock for me next month.

No the T3 will not fit into the Master sporter stock. It's longer, round bottomed and the magwell is different, along with the recoil lug being different.
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Master Sporter stocks are rarer than hen's teeth. Good luck finding one. </div></div>
Yeah,
I am going to just try and find a Master Sporter, I missed out on about 3 in the past month and a half, they seem to have dried up as soon as i got the cash
cry.gif

If I end up going with the T3 Sporter I will certainly post results as there is very little for reviews out there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Master Sporter stocks are rarer than hen's teeth. Good luck finding one. </div></div>
Yeah,
I am going to just try and find a Master Sporter, I missed out on about 3 in the past month and a half, they seem to have dried up as soon as i got the cash
cry.gif

</div></div>

Try looking at MT Guns for actions and new stocks.
http://mtguns.com/tika.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long_Range</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Master Sporter stocks are rarer than hen's teeth. Good luck finding one. </div></div>
Yeah,
cry.gif

</div></div>

Try looking at MT Guns for actions and new stocks.
http://mtguns.com/tika.htm
</div></div>
I did, unfortunately they had none available to sell

Is there any difference between the T3 Sporter and the T3 Varmint besides the obvious - stock and threaded barrel?

Nope. And my Varmint shoots just as well as the Sporter. (6,5x55)

Looks like I will have to eat some crow on my previous post. Tikka is building a lefty model sporter for 2012. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that beretta will import them. I see a lefty sporter 6.5x55 in my future.

Tikka T3 Sporter Custom

hi guys

cannot say much about the CZ 750 but i can say something about the sporter.
got one in 308 last november and i really LOVE it.
incredibly out the box accuracy.
like someone said: it`s basically the laminated wood version of a TRG stock. the barrel is quite heavy and made by sako.
these barrels are of VERY high quality as everybody here knows.
bolt is VERY smooth, stock fully adjustable and has the same ergonomics as a TRG 21. the whole setup is definitely a bit
lighter than a TRG chambered in 308. i hate the colour though,
but solved that problem with duracoat.
thought about replacing the trigger before i got the rifle but i am definitely NOT going to do that. this factory trigger is superb. turned it down to the lightest possible weight (have no trigger scale) it is very crisp and there is nothing i would want to change on it...

compared to the tikka t3 plastic stock versions like the tactical, the varmit etc. i think the sporter is a HUGE
upgrade stock-wise. also the ergonomics of all the plastic
stock tikkas are rather hunting style than varmit or tactical
to be honest. the sporter perfectly fills the gap
between a TRG 21 and the plastic stock tikkas, at least
in ergonomics of the stock. the laminated wood is very
stiff, (if properly duracoated) waterproof and feels quite rugged.

the only thing "bad" is the few plastic parts on it, but i already replaced that. not that they dont work perfectly, but
i had to get the aluminium ones. also, would not trust that plastic mag for heavy field use. think it might break when dropped on concrete, but have not tried that.

here`s the specs:
- 24 inch barrel, threaded by gunsmith and fit with a sako
muzzlebreak (only the 20 inch barrel comes threaded from
the factory)
- roedale precision 20 moa picatinny rail
- roedale precision replacement alu bolt shroud
- roedale precision replacement metal (big) bolt handle
- Roedale/Alutek bottom metal/trigger guard
- 10 shot Accuracy International Mag
- stock, action and barrel painted with 5
layers of steyr aug-green duracoat and then later added the
camo pattern (also duracoat)
- duracoated Harris BR
- Nightforce 5,5-22x50 NXS zero stop /hi speed turrents
with angle indicator and bubble level.
- Nightforce light rings

took me quite some time and effort to get the parts and fix it
all up, but now its done:)

after 4 shots to get it zeroed it shoots solid 1/2 MOA 3-shot groups (occationally better) at 100m - just with standard factory remington pemier match 168gr - never tried handloads so far because i am very happy the way it works. have not tried fed. gold or any other ammo yet except sako 308 softpoint
bulk hunting ammo. almost same tight groups, every third or fourth round is a flyer though...

as for the CZ 750:
i would DEFINITELY not buy anything else than a sporter if in doubt. the price is very hard to beat for what you get
and there is so many upgrade options for stocks, parts
etc. - mcmillan, manners, KRG, you name it.
i have a sako quad in a manners t4 stock and i love it.
i thought about getting one for the sporter as well but i
came to the conclusion i will not do that, because the
sporter stock is all i ever wanted.

the ruler in the pic with the groups is in cm, not inch,
and though in some groups it`s hard to see, these are all
3 shot groups.

here`s some pix: (sorry about the quality:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0z4ty2aye58x6y/1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/575ber4xf54gc2m/2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/12pzsxu3wrx1ip4/3.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ktfyq2g3bqphkh/3-shot%20groups.jpg

Re: Tikka T3 Sporter Custom

The Tikka is probably the most accurate no-mods, out-of-the-box rifle out there. Picked up a .30-06 for $600, put a 10x SS on it, got 1/3 MOA at 100 yards. Pretty sexy for under a grand.

And if you don't want to go the sporter route (or are lefty and cannot shoot it well), buy a T3 varmint and put it in a Whiskey 3 chassis.
Tikkas are quite accurate, but not as many people work on them as do Remingtons. Just FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdd614</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I will have to eat some crow on my previous post. Tikka is building a lefty model sporter for 2012. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that beretta will import them. I see a lefty sporter 6.5x55 in my future.

</div></div>
don't feel bad I found out almost the same way